To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

can't sync using my 1password account (Windows doesn't know about the account I created.)

BarryKnapp
BarryKnapp
Community Member

I have never used a password manager before. I am just setting up 1Password on Windows (Surface Pro 4) and Android (Samsung Galaxy S7). I have saved a couple of logins in Windows (in Chrome), and added a credit card on Android. But I can't get the two synched. The phone only knows the credit card, and Windows only knows the logins created there. I have set up a 1Password account, but when I try to login to it from windows it says it's invalid. The login from Android works fine. What am I missing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't sync using my 1password account (Windows doesn't know about the account I created.)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BarryKnapp: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! You're on the right track. You need to login to your 1Password.com Account on each device for them to be able to access your data. Are you able to login to 1Password.com directly and access it there? Are you receiving an error when you try to login to the Windows app? Which version are you using there? We'll get this sorted out for you. :)

• BarryKnapp
    BarryKnapp
    Community Member

I can log into my 1password account on both the Android and Windows 10 devices, but the vault contains only the one credit card I added on the Android (while logged in). It doesn't contain the three logins that I added in the application on my Windows 10 device. While logged in on both devices, I see the same "home" screen, but I don't see any control or button for synching. In order to sync the two vaults, do I need to be logged on to both simultaneously? What if my computer is at home, and I am in another country? And do I have to type in the long 40-character account key every time I do this? Finally, I don't like the idea that I paid $65 for the Windows license, and then need to pay $3/month for an account, in addition.

• BarryKnapp
    BarryKnapp
    Community Member

Back again, Brenty. I am trying to follow the syncing instructions for Windows in the User Guide, but what the user guide says does not agree with what I see. I don't see any settings (gear) icon. Just "preferences" and then "general"--nothing agrees with what's in the User Guide. The Windows version that I downloaded from you yesterday is version 4.6.1.617. Did I get the wrong version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BarryKnapp: Thanks so much for getting back to me with those details! That makes things much clearer. So, it sounds like you purchased a standalone license for the 1Password app, and then also separately signed up for a 1Password.com Account, so that's where things got confusing for you.

First and foremost, there's really no reason to pay for both. Some folks prefer a license if they just want to use 1Password on a computer, and either don't want to sync at all, or want to sync their data themselves. It sounds like you'd really rather have your 1Password data on all of your devices though, and not have to worry about all of those other details, and you can do that with the 1Password.com Account -- you simply login on each device to access your data there.

So there are a few options, and then once you've decided which you prefer, we'll go from there and get everything setup. Right now you have data in the standalone version (1Password 4) and your account (1Password.com), which is why you're getting different information in different places. If you've purchased the 1Password license within the past 30 days from the AgileBits Store, I can easily refund that for you so you can subscribe to 1Password.com instead. Alternatively, I can credit your 1Password.com Account. On the other hand, while it doesn't sound like this is what you're after, the other option is to keep the license and forego the benefits of the subscription. Let me know which route you'd prefer, and we'll take care of that. I wouldn't want to pay for both either. ;)

To address some of your other concerns, the Account Key is only needed when authorizing a new device/browser with your 1Password.com Account. In most cases, you'll only be entering your Master Password to access your data. And 1Password.com syncs all of the data automatically. It's stored encrypted on the server, so any of your devices can get it from there without the others being available; and also each device will have a local cache of your data so you don't need to be online at all times to access it.

Let me know how you'd like to proceed, and if you have any other questions, and then we'll go through step by step and get things setup the way you want them. :)

• BarryKnapp
    BarryKnapp
    Community Member

Okay, I think I'm starting to understand. I did not realize that you really have two different products. That was not at all clear on your download site! Yes, I would prefer the subscription plan, not the stand-alone. I paid for the stand-alone license yesterday, Jan. 16 ($64.99). So I guess I need to remove it from my computer and instead install the v. 6 Windows "App", right? How do I go about doing that, and get a refund on my credit card for the $64.99? And can I move the data from the stand-alone version to my 1Password account vault? This is all pretty confusing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BarryKnapp: Got it! We should be able to get this sorted out in short order now that we're on the same page. Here's what we need to do:

1. Refund your license purchase -- I've just done this in our system, and you should see it reflected with your bank within a matter of days. You shouldn't have to take any action here except to verify that it went through.
    2. Install the 1Password app on each of your devices -- It sounds like you'll need 1Password 6 for your PC, but let me know if you need help setting up any others.
    3. Migrate your existing data (from 1Password 4) to your account -- You'll need to login to your 1Password.com Account in the app, add the vault you've been using with 1Password 4, and copy the data over.
    4. One you have all of your data in your account (verify this by logging into 1Password.com), you can uninstall 1Password 4 and remove its vault from 1Password 6.
    5. Setup bulling in your 1Password.com Account -- Just login here and add your payment information.

That should cover it, but let me know if you have any questions about the process or anything else. I'm here for you! :)

• BarryKnapp
    BarryKnapp
    Community Member

I can't figure this out. When I follow the "migrate" instructions above, at the point where I select the items I want to copy, then click "copy", I get the message, "There are no open vaults". But I am logged in to my account, with that vault open, and I am doing this from the Windows 6 app that I just downloaded and installed. It sees the logins that I have saved (though it thinks there are 2 or 4 copies of each!). What am I missing?

• BarryKnapp
    BarryKnapp
    Community Member

I'm sorry, but I'm still having trouble. I've tried to follow the "migrate" instructions very carefully, but every time I do, I get "there are no vaults open" error. And now my 1password 6 app is showing that I have three copies of each login item, and six of my Dropbox login! If you're not going to offer telephone support, your written instructions (and your download site) need to be much clearer than they are.

And one more question, can my wife and I use the same 1Password account? I assume we would each have our own vault. Can the default vault be set based on device? That is, when she is using her devices, it will see her vault, but on my devices, it will see my vault? Would we have to share the same master password? (That would be okay.)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @BarryKnapp,

I am sorry for the confusion with our knowledgebase articles! We are here to help, so let us guide you through the set up process.

And now my 1password 6 app is showing that I have three copies of each login item, and six of my Dropbox login! If you're not going to offer telephone support, your written instructions (and your download site) need to be much clearer than they are.

First of all, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Windows PC, where you see this. Here is how you can do that:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostic Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

And one more question, can my wife and I use the same 1Password account? I assume we would each have our own vault. Can the default vault be set based on device? That is, when she is using her devices, it will see her vault, but on my devices, it will see my vault? Would we have to share the same master password? (That would be okay.)

Right now you have an Individual account, which is meant for a single user. You can easily transform your Individual account into Families subscription by inviting people. Just sign in on 1Password.com and choose “Invite people” from the top right menu.

To clarify a few things: there is one 1Password Families plan that you will be subscribed to, you will have the main account as Family Organizer, but your wife will get her own 1Password.com account. The only thing that all of the members of your Families account will see in common with each other is the Shared vault. She puts something in Shared, you see it, and vice versa. However, each have their own credentials (Account Key, Master Password, etc.), their own private Personal vault that you cannot view and so on.

I hope it helps. We will be waiting for your email with the diagnostics report! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• BarryKnapp
    BarryKnapp
    Community Member

Okay, the diagnostics report is submitted, and the Support ID is is [#FES-47837-284].

The situation is still the same: On my Windows device, 1Password 6 sees three copies of each of my logins, and six copies of my Dropbox login. It does see the one credit card that I added on the Android app on my phone, and (correctly) only one copy of it. However, on my phone, even after syncing, I see only the credit card, none of the logins.

Thanks for your help.

• Frank
    edited January 2017

Thanks @BarryKnapp for sending over the report. I will make sure @greg receives it. We will review the report and get back to you shortly so let's continue the conversation over there. We'll do our best to get this squared away for you. Have a great day :-)

ref: FES-47837-284

• BarryKnapp
    BarryKnapp
    Community Member

By the way, whenever I login to my account from 1Password 6 on Windows, it requires me to enter the long 40-character account key. Also, in the Accounts-Vaults>Folders, it shows three 1Password folders. No matter which one I sync, the logins never show up on my phone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've just replied via email, so we can continue the conversation there to avoid any confusing back and forth. :)

This discussion has been closed.