Android: Automatic filling not working. Have to do manual with 1Password Keyboard. Why?

Jassword
Jassword
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Android

Now that I have the 1Password Keyboard accessible, AND I have Automatic Filling enabled, I tried 2 different logins in the Chrome and Firefox browsers and can't get the automatic filling to work. For each login, I press and hold down the URL to bypass the 1Browser to go into Chrome (or Firefox) . I then change the input keyboard to the 1Password Keyboard. I press on the blue 1Password Icon to the left of the space bar. Enter the PIN, then I am told "The browser currently requires manual filling", and so on, which is already too much.

What is the story with automatic filling in browsers other than 1Browser on Android 4.1.2 and Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Note? Does it just not work? I realized the internal 1Browser is the easiest way to go and I will use that, but I have to expect that I'll have issues with pages on some sites now and then, so I want to know now how to deal with that by using a different browser and automatic filling.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 4.1.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @Jassword Firefox obfuscates URLs so 1Password is unable to detect and match, which is why only manual filling is available there. The same isn't true in Chrome, though, and you should be able to fill automatically there. Can you tap Settings > Filling, and confirm that Automatic Filling is enabled there? Also, does the URL for the page you're filling into match a URL saved in 1Password?

• Jassword
    Jassword
    Community Member

Yes, I verified that Automatic Filling is enabled, both in the global device Settings > Services and in 1Password's Settings > Filling. I tried several more logins on critical sites, all in Chrome and keep being told the auto-filling will not work.

• Can you give me an example of one or more of the sites you've tried? What is the URL for the page you're filling into, and what URL do you have saved with that Login item in 1Password?

• Jassword
    Jassword
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Below are a number of sites that are not auto-filling in Chrome. The URLS shown are identical for the page and in the saved login entry. They are basic URLS, ie. with no passed parameters. There is a never a site-side switch to mobile device pages for the URLS. The fact is, I can't get the automatic filling to work in Chrome for ANY site. This is the protocol I am using for each:

1. Go to the login entry in 1Password
    2. Press down on the URL to get the Android prompt to select which browser.
    3. I select Chrome and click on "Just Once"
    4. Chrome comes up, and takes me to the URL page. I check it's the same as login entry.
    5. The login fields remain blank. So I click into the username field.
    6. Change the keyboard to the 1Password keyboard, if not already set.
    7. Click on the blue icon to the left of the spacebar in the 1Password Keyboard
    8. Enter my PIN to unlock 1Password
    9. 1Password then tells me "The browser currently requires manual filling"

https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin
    https://www.americanexpress.com/
    https://member.angieslist.com/member/login
    https://www.chase.com/
    https://investor.vanguard.com/my-account/log-on
    and so on..

Under Settings > System > Accessibility > Services, I clearly see that I have 1Password Automatic Filling turned on. (TalkBack is turned off).

• Hi @Jassword. Can you let me know what version of Chrome you have installed? I'm able to fill automatically on all of these sites in Chrome. Can you disable and re-enable the filling service? Does that help?

• Jassword
    Jassword
    Community Member

Chrome: 55.0.2883.91
    Android: 4.1.2
    Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Note Tablet

I turned off automatic filling, went to a site to verify it was off, and then turned it on, tried the site again and got the message that the browser requires manual filling, as before.

• I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Android device:
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?android

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+android@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Jassword
    Jassword
    Community Member

Sorry for the delay. I just sent the email with diagnostics report. I did't include the link to this post,but I mentioned my username and the title of the post.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jassword: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: HFL-89829-734

• jefferai
    jefferai
    Community Member

I have the same exact problem. I'll send a diagnostic.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jefferai: I've just replied via email. We'll get to the bottom of this!

ref: PWT-83116-437

• Jassword
    Jassword
    Community Member

Well, it's been over 2 weeks. I've gotten email contact on this issue from brenty, peri and gene all asking again for the same information that I had posted here. Perhaps it's time to just punt and say that 1Password has an incompatibility issue with Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Note Tablet, Chrome 55.0.2883.91, and Android: 4.1.2.

• Jassword
    Jassword
    Community Member

FYI to all: Michael responded to this problem via email. It is definitely an incompatibility with the 1Password app with browsers on versions of Android prior to 4.3. Michael V. wrote:

[Monday, February 13, 2017 2:14 AM] "The reason that you are getting a message about automatic filling not being supported is because one of the necessary pieces for automatic filling in browsers is missing in versions of Android prior to 4.3. The result is that although you should be able to use automatic filling with most third-party apps, you won't be able to use it with browsers. In this case, manual filling is the only option available."

• Thanks for the update! Hopefully this will help any other users who come across this issue. :)

This discussion has been closed.