Hi there, manual log-in to some of my sites does not work. Thanks

Hi there,

just read your article "how to manually log-in to website" which I tried but to no avail. 1Password still does not fill in log-in data.

Thanks for your help
Friedrich

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:just read "how to manually log-in to website". Does not work with various of my sites. thanks

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Friedrich,

Do you have an example of a site that isn't working and one where you would feel comfortable sharing the URL for the login page in our public support forums? Did you also mean our page How to save a Login manually in your browser? I only ask as I can't find a page titled "how to manually log-in to website". Always best to ask this sort of thing in case it turns out to be an important piece of the puzzle :smile:

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for the quick answer. I meant the page "How to save a login manually in your browser", yes. This is a site 1password does not save the login data: http://www.flowkey.com/de. Or this one: holidaycheck.de.

Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

Hello @Friedrich,

Very strange. I can't reproduce on flowkey I'm afraid. I visited http://www.flowkey.com/de and got redirected to https://app.flowkey.com/browse where after clicking on the login button I finally got the login form. Following the steps to manually saved resulted in 1Password offering to save and it successfully filled the page afterwards.

I can reproduce on https://www.holidaycheck.de/login though and it's odd because if I let 1Password ask to save automatically it works, it seems to be just the manual save that isn't working. I don't understand yet why this is the case but you're quite right, it won't offer to save.

So we definitely have something to investigate but I'm unsure why we are seeing different results in flowkey, I don't have an answer for this yet.

ref: OPX-1308

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Hello,
    thanks for dealing with the problem. I have one more site that does not work with 1password which is www.tipp24.com. Maybe you can work on that, too.

Thanks
    Friedrich

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Friedrich: Happy to help! Can you tell me more about the trouble you're having though? I was able to save and fill a login using 1Password there. The only thing that stood out to me is that the login form needs to be brought up first by clicking "Anmelden". If that's what you're referring to, there isn't any way for 1Password to click that for you. But once you open the login form, 1Password should be able to fill it. Let me know what you find!

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

@brenty: thanks for your quick answer. I have tried it both ways. Went to website, brought up login form by clicking "Anmelden". 1Password would not fill the login form, neither automatically nor manually. The same holds true for www.flowkey.com, Atlantic-community.org, tipp24.com, holidaycheck.de. It seems to me that this occurs every time when the login form is not part of the home page but you have to bring it up by clicking "anmelden" or "login" etc.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Friedrich: RIght, that's what I was saying: 1Password can't click to open popups for you. Some sites have a proper login page that displays immediately when it loads, so that 1Password can fill immediately as well. But unfortunately others like to hide their login forms in nooks and crannies like this. :(

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

@brenty: thanks. But there is still something I don't understand. With websites like adac.de, airberlin.com, allyouneed.com, nespresso.com you need to click a button to bring up the login form. Nevertheless with these websites 1password has no problem???

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Friedrich,

To make sure there's no confusion at all can we detail everything. Often the details can explain everything :smile:

So if it's okay I'd like to compare https://www.airberlin.com/en/site/start.php with http://www.flowkey.com/de

1. I visit https://www.airberlin.com/en/site/start.php in my preferred browser.
    2. I click the Log-in link to bring up the small login form.
    3. I instruct 1Password to fill the form. My personal preference is the keyboard shortcut ⌘\
    4. I have my test items set to not submit the form after filling as it makes it easier to confirm what is happening. I see the username and password fields fill.

So everything looks okay there and you seem to indicate it also works for you.

Now with flowkey.

1. I visit http://www.flowkey.com/de in my preferred browser.
    2. I click the log in button.
    3. The site takes me to a completely different page and the URL is now https://app.flowkey.com/browse
    4. I click the Log in button to bring up the login form.
    5. I instruct 1Password to fill the form. Like above I use the keyboard shortcut.
    6. I see the username and password fields fill.

Now open and fill seems to be fairly popular but it won't work if a page requires a click to have the login form appear as Brenty mentioned. Sometimes open and fill can still fill but the results will vary depending on how the site is designed. It might be the page has the form generated and 1Password can see the form is there but hidden and fills it. It might be the form simply doesn't exist until the link is clicked because the site uses JavaScript to generate the form dynamically. The tools used to create web pages allow for an amazing range of ways to create a page and it can result in what seems like inconsistent behaviour with open and fill. This is compounded with http://www.flowkey.com/de because that page doesn't have the login form at all, they literally load an entirely different page from a different subdomain.

If you are visiting the page, bringing up the login form and trying to fill as I detailed above and you find a page still isn't working properly then there is a problem. Now flowkey should work based on my tests so far if we're both doing the same thing. If you do anything differently can you describe the steps you take please so we can see if we can reproduce your findings and make sure 1Password is behaving consistently for both of us :smile:

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for all your work you are putting in here. I have tried what you have suggested with flowkey and airberlin and it seems to work. I just watched one of your videos by Khad Young on how to fill in passwords. When he clicks on the site in the browser extension, 1password fills the login form (in his case "Amazon") and without further need to click, the site opens. This is different in my case. The sites never open like that. I usually get the login form filled and then I have to click "login" or "Anmelden" (which means "Sign in"). Is there a way around? I have the browser extension installed, by the way. Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Friedrich,

I confess I couldn't remember what was in the video that I think you saw (it was the one on the page Use the browser extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC yeah?) so I've just re-watched it. You're right, Khad first covers what he calls go and fill and what I referred to as open and fill. I've always called it open and fill because that's the title of the button if you hover the cursor over a website field in a 1Password Login item. They're both referring to the same thing though, open the page in your browser and once it has loaded try to fill the page. That should work perfectly for sites with dedicated login pages like Amazon, Google and so on. If the entire login form is visible once the page has loaded and requires no user interaction then open and fill should work.

Sadly some sites prefer or indeed insist on little popup login forms that require a user interacts with the page before its visible. In these cases sadly there is no way to get open and fill to work. For sites like these 1Password can still usually fill but the user has to first bring the login form up and then ask 1Password to do its thing. It does mean some sites require those extra steps and I can't think of a way to make it easier I'm afraid. Hopefully most sites you like to work with will allow open and fill but if not then hopefully the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ proves useful.

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Hi, thanks. But this is not exactly what I am curious about. Let me give you an example: take agilebits. When I click agilebits in the browser extension of 1password, the website opens and 1password fills the form. But it does not open my account with agilebits until I push "sign in" first. This holds true for all of my accounts and sites I use with 1password. in Khad`s video, however, it seemed the amazon-account opened automatically without the need to push "sign in".

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @Friedrich,

Thank you for the clarification :smile: The login feature you're referring to is sometimes referred to as autosubmit.

There is a global setting that you can find in 1Password's preferences, specifically in the Browsers tab and the setting is titled Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords. By default Login items should submit a login form after they've filled in. Now sometimes exceptions are needed so each Login item does have it's own setting too. It defaults to Submit when enabled but it can be set to Never submit if needed. You will only find this option becomes visible when you edit a Login item.

So if both are correctly set and you're finding it isn't submitting there may be something we need to address. Please do let us know.

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Greetings @littlebobbytables,

thanks for the advice. I clicked the box autosubmit and it works fine. thanks again. You and your colleagues do a great job!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Excellent @Friedrich :smile: I'm happy to hear everything seems to be working and you've got a handle on how 1Password works. If you have any questions at all or should you find 1Password misbehaves please do let us know and we'll see what we can do to help :smile:

• Friedrich
    Friedrich
    Community Member

Greetings@littlebobbytables, I have a couple of questions.

• In "Browser Preferences" I clicked the box "Automatically submit login after filling" which works fine. Is it possible, however, to change the submit setting for a single login without changing this global setting (see onepassword mac user guide page 40)? And if so, how can I do that?
    • I set a some folders to group certain logins e.g. for e-mail-accounts (guide page 22). I can see these folders in the 1password main app but not in the browser extension of 1pw mini. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help Friedrich

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In "Browser Preferences" I clicked the box "Automatically submit login after filling" which works fine. Is it possible, however, to change the submit setting for a single login without changing this global setting (see onepassword mac user guide page 40)? And if so, how can I do that?

@Friedrich: Yep! By default, any new login has "Submit" option set to "Submit when enabled", which will respect your global setting; but you can also edit your login to change this to "Always" or "Never", depending on your preference.

I set a some folders to group certain logins e.g. for e-mail-accounts (guide page 22). I can see these folders in the 1password main app but not in the browser extension of 1pw mini. Is that correct?

Folders are not used in the browser extension / 1Password mini interface, only in the main 1Password app (and only with local vaults). I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.