QR code scanner not available

Options
jhamer
jhamer
Community Member

I have a new Nexus 5X that says "Manual sign in required" because the QR code scanner is not available. I've verified my Google Play Services version is up-to-date (9.0.83), and I've reinstalled 1Password from the play store a couple of times. Hasn't been an issue on my other devices running the same versions of services and 1P (Nexus 6P, Samsung GS7).

Any ideas?

I hate that I have to add an empty local vault before I can add my Families account, BTW, but I know that's on the radar. Thank you!

1Password Version: 6.3.2b3
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: 6.0.1
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hi @jhamer. :)

The issue you mentioned with a QR scanner is a currently known issue. Google Play Service’s Mobile Vision API that 1Password uses for barcode detection requires a service that is currently disabled because of a a bug. This means that if you have not used the QR scanner or another app that uses the Mobile Vision API on your device, you won't be able to use the QR scanner until this bug is fixed. In the meantime, we recommend manually adding your accounts until Google gets this bug fixed.

I'll also pass your feedback along to the developers regarding a 1Password accounts only mode that doesn't require a local vault. It is indeed on the radar, but it doesn't hurt to bump us every now and then.

Let us know if you need anything else!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Does this bug still exist?

I've been getting that error message with Google Play Services 10.0.84

• cjmac
    cjmac
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Heyya,

So I just moved to Family, and had this same issue.

The issue is this:

• Already have 1Password set up and working with another vault (e.g. Dropbox sync)
    • Go to 1Password settings, "Add Account"
    • Choose "Scan QR Code"
    • App will tell you Play Services doesn't support your camera.

Now, to fix it:

• Make sure your phone is completely up-to-date, and that your version of Google Play Services is at least 9.6, which is the version the Mobile Vision APIs were fixed in (in my case both of these things were true)
    • Go to your device's settings > Applications > find 1Password - or, on stock Android devices (e.g. Nexus, Pixel, Play Edition phones) you can just press-and-hold the 1Password app icon in the apps drawer and drag it to the "App Info" option that appears.
    • Press Permissions
    • Enable the Camera permission.
    • Now go back to 1Password and try the QR option again; it should work.

OR

• Press Data Usage
    • Erase all the app's data (THIS WILL ERASE YOUR 1PASSWORD APP'S CONTENTS; DO NOT DO IT UNLESS YOU'RE SURE YOU HAVE THE DATA ELSEWHERE)
    • Go back to 1Password and try the QR option. It will ask Allow 1Password access to take photos?
    • The QR option should now work.

Agile developers: In other words, if 1P has already been set up with a non-Account vault, then when it eventually needs the camera for the first time it doesn't request camera permissions, and mistakes the denied camera access for a Play Services issue.

(Edit: @peri can you pass this on to the devs?)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

OK, it's now giving me access to scanning the bar code.

But I am really new to Android. How do I actually scan?

That is, I am in 1PW, have chosen "Scan QR code", and I can see the QR image inside the 4 corners.

What do I do now? I tried tapping on the Scan the barcode bar at the top. That did not seem to do anything, nut maybe I needed to press and hold. But no, that didn't work either. This is obviously very basic Android stuff that I have yet to learn.

• peri
    Options

Thanks so much for the detailed steps to resolve, @cjmac!

@danco Once the QR code is recognized, scanning should be automatic. You don't need to do anything else. That said, what are you scanning from? Are you using the rear-facing camera and scanning from your Emergency Kit on another device or on paper, or are you scanning from the Android screen? If you uninstall/reinstall 1Password on Android, are you able to scan after?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Not sure why it didn't work at first, but it is working now.

• peri
    Options

I'm glad to hear that! :)

• Hatclub
    Hatclub
    Community Member
    Options

Just a note that I had to do this on a brand new phone with a brand new, empty install of 1P4A - it still didn't ask for camera permissions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hatclub: Thanks for letting us know! I've actually got a new Nexus 6P (to me, anyway) on the way, so I'll see what I can find there.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

After a run of bad luck, I've had to factory reset two different Nexus 5x phones three times over the past ~2 weeks. The first two times, I was able to scan the QR code no problem. The most recent time, I received the above referenced error code about Google Play Services and QR code scanner, which led me to this thread. (Hi y'all, used to be a regular but been away for quite a while...)

I was about to follow @cjmac's excellent instructions when on a lark I tried re-launching 1Password and attempting to scan again - this time it worked beautifully. Only (odd?) thing is it didn't prompt for camera permissions, which I thought Android would enforce? I'm running 7.1.1 with the Jan 5 security patch.

Just thought I'd add my $.02 in case this is helpful to @peri and @brenty (and team) in hunting down a bug.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

After a run of bad luck, I've had to factory reset two different Nexus 5x phones three times over the past ~2 weeks. The first two times, I was able to scan the QR code no problem. The most recent time, I received the above referenced error code about Google Play Services and QR code scanner, which led me to this thread.

@EnerJi: That is very strange. I appreciate you mentioning it!

(Hi y'all, used to be a regular but been away for quite a while...)

Indeed! Welcome back! :chuffed:

I was about to follow @cjmac's excellent instructions when on a lark I tried re-launching 1Password and attempting to scan again - this time it worked beautifully. Only (odd?) thing is it didn't prompt for camera permissions, which I thought Android would enforce? I'm running 7.1.1 with the Jan 5 security patch.
    Just thought I'd add my $.02 in case this is helpful to @peri and @brenty (and team) in hunting down a bug.

I know @saad and @mverde will be interested to hear this as well. The plot thickens! :unamused:

• saad
    Options

@EnerJi Very interesting indeed! The Camera permission is strictly enforced by the Android OS, so an app like 1Password cannot access your device's camera unless the permission was granted. Is it possible that you might have accepted the Camera permission for 1Password previously? You can check the current app permissions by going into the Settings app, and tapping on Apps > 1Password > Permissions. Let me know if the Camera permission is enabled there.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @saad,

I checked the permission as you suggested, and it already lists the Camera permission. I could have sworn I hadn't accepted it, but I must have without realizing it.

So the only issue I had was the QR Code / Google Play permissions issue which occurred briefly, which then resolved itself after re-launching 1Password and allowed me to scan a QR code.

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the update @EnerJi! I'm glad to hear that everything is working well after relaunching 1Password. Let us know if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.