6.5BETA-7 won't show fill buttons in Firefox 51.0b13

yostinso
yostinso
Community Member

Recently (and I'm not sure if this happened in with an update to Firefox or to 1Password), I've been unable to get the "fill username / fill password" buttons to appear in Firefox.

I select, e.g., a username field, long-press the lock icon on the 1password keyboard, manually browse to the correct login, but then when I'm returned to Firefox, the fill buttons aren't displayed. This is true regardless of whether "automatic filling" is enabled, and is a regression that appeared sometime in the last couple of months.

Other apps (including Chrome) work as expected. I've been working around it by copying the password to the clipboard, but obviously that's not ideal.

1Password Version: Android 6.5BETA-7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android N 7.1.1 (Pixel)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @yostinso. Thanks for reaching out! I tested this out with Amazon in the latest version of Firefox for Android, and I'm not able to reproduce. The Fill username and Fill password buttons show up and fill just fine for me.

Can you try in Amazon and let me know if it works there? Are there any specific sites you could share so I can try there? Thanks!

• yostinso
    yostinso
    Community Member

Hi, it actually works fine for me in the non-beta version of Firefox for Android, which I guess answers the question of which app changed.

The beta has the issue on any form, including Amazon.

Thanks for looking!
    --E.O.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yostinso: Ah, interesting. Thanks for letting us know. I haven't used Firefox beta in a long time myself, so I'm not sure if that's just a limitation, or if it's something they'll need to address before the stable release.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

I am having the same issue with the normal firefox version. The fill buttons just don't show up.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Iam sorry, filling works in the normal firefox. I was using the beta and forgot I was using the beta version of firefox :dizzy:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ntimo: Ah, I hate when that happens! Glad you figured it out. Sometimes I have to do a doubletake to make sure I'm using what I think I am. ;)

• pCarter
    pCarter
    Community Member

Using firefox 51.0.3, going to login screen (on amazon or usps for example), long press on 1password keyboard, select the login I want and most of the time when it comes back to the browser screen there are no buttons to fill in the user id or password above the keyboard. Sometimes there are. I can't see a pattern.

Nexus 5X, Android 7.1.1.
    Using Ghostery, tried pausing Ghostery and it didn't seem to make a difference.

After rebooting the phone, it worked fine on the first site I tried, did not work on the second, worked on the first site again, did not work on the third, and then did not work on the first site. Quit firefox, restarted and it did not work on the first site.

1Password Version: 6.5.1 BETA-3
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Android 7.1.1
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Thanks for reaching out @pCarter! I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your thread with this one on the same subject.

I'm able to reproduce the issue you mentioned regarding the fill buttons disappearing when using Firefox, and I've reported this to our team. Hopefully they can get it fixed soon! ref: OPA-1122

Let us know if you need anything else!

• GRMrGecko
    GRMrGecko
    Community Member

Hello Perl,

I am also having an issue with this. I want to switch to FireFox, however without 1Password support, it will be hard. I somewhat wish 1Password keyboard was able to pull the current page from Firefox so that it will show matching password entries. I'm sure this could be accomplished, possibly with an add-on. While I hate using the keyboard alone, the auto fill is just so useful.

Thank you for your support,

James Coleman

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@GRMrGecko: Thanks for letting us know. For now the 1Password Keyboard is the best option, as it can work almost anywhere. But we're working on better ways to fill in future versions as well. Cheers! :)

• sadow
    sadow
    Community Member

I ran into this problem as well. I tried logging into the Slack app, long-pressed the lock icon, it automatically detected my Slack login, which I selected, but when I returned to the app "Fill Username" and "Fill Password" were missing.

I had previously experienced this in another app as well, but I don't remember which.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the trouble there! The 1Password keyboard should at least work for you in the mean time until this is addressed.

• sadow
    sadow
    Community Member

The 1Password keyboard is exactly what isn't working. That is where the "Fill Username" and "Fill Password" buttons aren't showing up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sadow: Was that a one-time thing? I signed into a Slack account on my Nexus 6P just the other day and 1Password did automatic filling for me. In that case, the buttons won't show up. They're only needed when 1Password doesn't see where to fill and needs you to select the correct field and tap the button for the appropriate credential. Is that what you're seeing?

• sadow
    sadow
    Community Member

I don't have autofilling enabled. I only use the keyboard. Yes it is still the case.

• @brenty asked me to jump in here to provide some clarification about the behaviour that you're seeing with the manual filling buttons in the 1Password Keyboard. Let me start by describing the intended behaviour and then explain why that isn't happening in this case.

When the 1Password Keyboard shows the manual filling buttons, the intent is that they are only shown for the current login screen or web page and then hidden once that screen is gone. To that end, the 1Password Keyboard hides the buttons whenever it is dismissed.

The problem in some cases (and I believe, in this particular case) is that sometimes the keyboard is dismissed and shown really quickly. For example, this can happen when transitioning between different apps or activities that have different default keyboard states. Even though it can happen so quickly that the keyboard doesn't appear to have left the screen at all, the 1Password Keyboard still responds to the fact that it was dismissed by hiding the buttons. Unfortunately, that means that manual filling won't work correctly in these situations.

We can definitely do a better job of handling this kind of situation and the good news is that we're already working on a number of improvements to the filling experience in 1Password. I don't have any details that I can share with you at this point, other than to say it's a very active area of interest for us, but I hope to be able to share more in the not-too-distant future. In the meantime, if you're not using automatic filling, you may need to enter your credentials manually in those apps which are affected by this issue.

I know that's not the ideal answer, so we'll keep working on those improvements so that I can hopefully give you a better one soon ;)

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

In Firefox, when I change to the keyboard and login to 1password, it used to attempt to find the login of the website in my vault, but now, it always looks for Firefox as the login to fill, so it never finds anything.

In addition, when I search for the login and tap it, it goes back to the Firefox, but without the fill username / password buttons. But if I login again, the buttons then show up

• Hey @burn123! Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with filling using the 1Password Keyboard in the Firefox browser. Automatic filling and website detection is actually not supported in the Firefox app, therefore you will need to manually select the login and use the button above the keyboard to input your username and password details.

As for the fill username/password buttons not showing after selecting a login, could you tell me if this is happening with a particular website or with all websites you visit in Firefox?

I apologize for the lack of automatic filling with the Firefox browser. We have some exciting news in the world of filling on Android , so we are planning to make major improvements in this area for future releases of 1Password.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

The buttons not showing happens in all websites

• That’s strange! I am seeing things different on my device. The fill username and password buttons show up correctly on my device. What device and OS version are you using? Could you also confirm if you have the latest Firefox app installed?

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

I am using the Google Pixel, Android 7.1.1, I just downloaded the latest Firefox version and it did the same thing

• Thanks for the update @burn123. I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your thread with this one on the same subject.

Can you please take a look at mverde's response above for an explanation of what's going on here? Let us know if you have more quesitons!

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

This makes sense, because I am using Firefox Beta as well, and I have noticed that it does appear to disappear and reappear quite quickly. Is this something that will be fixed eventually? Because it will be a while before android O comes out

• We do have an open issue regarding filling on Firefox, but I can't give any sort of ETA as to when we might be able to address this. In the meantime, I recommend using Chrome or manual filling in Firefox.

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member

Ah, this was driving me batty! Looking forward to seeing this one fixed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• yostinso
    yostinso
    Community Member

Aha! I figured out the actual bug, at least as it applies to me... and (hooray) a workaround!

The real issue is that when you use the search function within 1Password (which you must with Firefox, hence why it seems to be the problem), this brings up the keyboard. If you then tap the item you want to fill, you can (for a split second) see the Fill Username / Fill Password buttons, then the keyboard is hidden as you go back to Firefox, and when it reappears, the fill buttons are gone.

The workaround is to tap the Android "back" button before tapping the login item you want to fill. This will hide the keyboard ahead of time, and when you're sent back to Firefox, the Fill Username / Fill Password buttons will consistently appear in Firefox.

I assume it works sometimes because of a race condition where sometimes whatever flag makes the fill buttons appear is applied after the keyboard is hidden, rather than before.

I'm using the Firefox beta (but have noticed this with any app where I first search for the right login), and Google's Gboard keyboard.

Hope this helps folks until a real fix is applied.

--E.O.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, great observation! I think you may be right about that. Thanks for sharing that info! :)

This discussion has been closed.