Move up to family from standalone

Options
siplhium
siplhium
Community Member

I'm totally confused by the subscription/accounts stuff. I purchased 1password at the Mac app store for $50 in 2015 to test it out and see whether it was suitable for both me and my wife to use. Until now, only I have used it (without an account or subscription, evidently), but now I want to bring my wife in on this and share at least some of our passwords (she has her own Mac). I take it that I need to set up an family account. How do I do this? Do I have to pay again? I know the answers are scattered around this site, but I don't have the time search and figure things out. I'd just like a simple, straightforward explanation. I'd be happy to answer any questions. Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: Mac SO 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @siplhium,

Let me see if I can get you the instructions for this...

1. You'll want to create your Family account at https://1password.com/families/ . The 1Password Families account is a subscription ($5/month) that you'll need to setup payment for during the trial period.
    2. If you had the browser extension installed, once you complete your sign up of 1Password Families, the 1Password app will offer to add the account automatically and perform the migration for you.
    3. If not, then you'll want to add the account under Preferences > Accounts.

Here's a support article that goes through this: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

Once that's done, you'll have your own data into your Families account. The next step is to invite your wife, which you can do by:

1. Login to your 1Password Families website
    2. Use the menu in the top right, and choose "Invite People..."
    3. Put in your wife's email address
    4. Setup 1Password on a device and sign in to her account

I hope that this is clear enough. Let me know if anything isn't clear and I'm happy to provide more information.

Rick

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Is a 1Password Family account the only way for a couple to share passwords? Also, I know my wife is going to need a convenient, relatively "frictionless" experience; otherwise she might not want to use this at all. (I wouldn't mind it either, although I am more technically-inclined...) Is something like this possible with the family account, or does it require iCloud/keychain.

• Ben
    Options

A 1Password Families account is the only convenient relatively frictionless experience, yes. It'll allow you to set up both you and your wife with both your personal and shared credentials as well as other items such as credit cards.

1Password Families is totally independent of iCloud and Apple's keychain services.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.