Bad scroll behavior

Options
User Name
User Name
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

1Password's scrolling behaviour is 'backwards' when using a mouse on Windows.
Scrolling down scrolls the list up, and vice-versa.
I realize that you're an Apple-focused company and they use 'natural scrolling' by default, but one of the biggest things that Apple focus on is that applications should follow the system behaviors as much as possible, and this is not how a Windows application should behave.

Additionally, I have my mouse wheel set to scroll a full page at a time, yet this is only scrolling a single 'line' in 1Password making it very slow to scroll through a big list of items. (approx. 2.5 lines per item)

1Password Version: 6.3.352
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 AU
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@User Name: Are you saying that 1Password scrolls differently to other apps -- say, Windows File Explorer? I'm getting the same scrolling behaviour in both, and this is determined by Windows and/or mouse driver settings. If you're experiencing something different, do you maybe have some other software or settings that are interfering? Let me know what you find!

• Hi @User Name,

Thanks for reporting this. In addition to what Brenty wrote, 1Password 6 for Windows isn't being developed by a Mac team or anyone that's using a Mac. It is developed by experienced Windows developers with native Windows devices and software tools. We're using Windows Presentation Foundation's default settings for the mouse, we're not overriding anything here. This is also true on macOS, we're not overriding the OS's default actions, it would cause so much confusion because it should be up to the system to handle this, not the apps.

Please do let us know if you're using any tools that manages the mouse/keyboard for you. Windows 10 does have a setting for the mouse scrolling that is identical to the macOS's reverse trackpad scrolling.

• User Name
    User Name
    Community Member
    Options

I did a little testing and it seems that the direction is only flipped when scrolling is set to "one screen at a time".
    When set to X number of lines, it scrolls correctly.

I don't have an option to flip the scroll direction anywhere.
    This is a desktop PC so I guess that's a trackpad option?

I'm not using any utilities that would affect the mouse behavior.

• Faraquet
    Faraquet
    Community Member
    Options

On a similar note to this topic, scrolling with a trackpad (two finger scroll) on my Dell XPS causes 1Password 6 to scroll far too fast in every window with a scollbar. For some reason it's not matching the scroll speed of the rest of the OS.

• Hi guys,

@User Name,

I did a little testing and it seems that the direction is only flipped when scrolling is set to "one screen at a time".
    When set to X number of lines, it scrolls correctly.

Thank you! That was the key, I can confirm that it is incorrectly scrolling when set to one screen at a time. I'm not sure why it is doing that.

What I can confirm with the engineering team is that we're not overriding and telling the system how to scroll, we let the system scroll these views for us. However, we'll investigate to see if the system requires us to add something to reverse this.

@Faraquet,

For some reason it's not matching the scroll speed of the rest of the OS.

Like with Brenty, the scrolling is consistent with the OS for me. Do you have scrolling set to scroll one page or per line like User Name?

• Faraquet
    Faraquet
    Community Member
    Options

It's set to the default in Windows 10 which I believe is 3 lines at a time. If I drag down with two fingers on the touch pad even a millimeter then 1Password 6 leaps down pages rather than the slow smooth scrolling like everything else in Windows.

• Hi @Faraquet,

Can you double check the settings for both the trackpad and the mouse? I saw in the Dell forums that the scrolling for the trackpad is the same one for the mouse, and adjusting the mouse settings rather than the trackpad fixed some of the common scrolling issues. Can you see if both trackpad/mouse are set correctly or just change them to 6 lines and see how it affects the scrolling across the system and 1Password.

We don't have any Dell XPS to test this with but on Surface Pros/Books and a few other PCs, we see consistent scrolling expect for the reversed scrolling one that User Name just found with the scrolling by page. We'll look into that one soon, it is possible your issue may be related.

• Faraquet
    Faraquet
    Community Member
    Options

There is only the single "Choose how many lines to scroll each time" option under Mouse for me, which had defaulted to 3 for me.

You're correct that this controls the touchpad scrolling behaviour too, as there is no similar option for controlling the scroll speed under Touchpad.

Increasing it to its max of 99 causes 1Password 6 becomes completely unusable. The slightest scroll jumps to the bottom of the a large list of logins.

Looking at what happens across the system though when I increase it to 99:
    There's no change with Windows Explorer, it still scrolls like it did before.
    UWP apps still scroll like they did before.
    Chrome and Spotify are noticeably faster and bordering on unusable, but they were fine at the previous setting of 3.

• Hi @Faraquet,

That to me sounds like a bad mouse driver and not just limited to 1Password, it is just more noticeable in 1Password.

Is it possible to ask you to try reinstalling the mouse driver to see if it helps at all?

• Faraquet
    Faraquet
    Community Member
    Options

I uninstalled the driver and let Windows 10 automatically reinstall it, and there's no difference.

It's a strange one because I can precisely scroll smoothly and slowly in other applications, yet in 1Password it's impossible.

• Hi @Faraquet,

Right, we use Windows' Presentation Foundation (WPF) to render the UI and it is the one responsible for the scrolling. Chrome would likely be using their own custom implementation for the scrolling.

If you use the arrow key and page up/down keys, do they scroll correctly?

• Faraquet
    Faraquet
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

The arrow keys work as expected, as does page up/down.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good to know! We'll see if there's a workaround for this. :)

• Faraquet
    Faraquet
    Community Member
    Options

A cursory Google threw up this regarding 'precision touchpads' and WPF. Perhaps it's relevant: https://github.com/mike-ward/Markdown-Edit/issues/129

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, interesting. Thanks for sharing that!

• Faraquet
    Faraquet
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Detailed breakdown of the problem here and solution

I'm guessing my issue is the hyper sensitivity:

https://www.codeproject.com/articles/220255/improving-wpf-mouse-wheel-processing

• Hi @Faraquet,

Thank you! We really appreciate it. We were going to do the same type of research but most of us are at a company retreat that has very slow...internet.

We've passed it on to our engineering team and they'll look at it to see if they can improve it.

Can we follow up with you as soon as we have a private build with improved scrolling support?

• Faraquet
    Faraquet
    Community Member
    Options

I'd be happy to try out a private build when one's available.

• Great, thanks. Is your forum profile's email address accurate?

• Faraquet
    Faraquet
    Community Member
    Options

It is now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

Great! We'll be in touch. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.