Multiple local vaults [feature request]

Comments

• tshafer
    tshafer
    Community Member

Want to give this another bump. It's very inconvenient not to be able to access multiple vaults in Android. Thanks.

• Thanks for jumping in on this thread, @tshafer. I'll pass your interest along to our developers. :)

• adamjb
    adamjb
    Community Member

I just purchased the pro features on android assuming they had feature parity with the iOS version and boy was I disappointed to learn that they don't. I can't see my family shared vault.

Add my name to the list of people eagerly awaiting this necessary feature.

• @adamjb I am very sorry to hear how much this feature is affecting your workflow. Multiple Vaults is only available with 1Password accounts on Android at this time.

I will let the team know you are interested to see this feature extend to Agilekeychain and OPVaults as well. Thank you for your support.

• stefanodottori
    stefanodottori
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Hi @adamjb

Can you tell which vaults are you syncing ?

To do that ,follow this tiny tutorial:

1. Open the 1Password app for Android
    2. Then go to Settings
    3. Then go to 1Password accounts

@saad can you check why @adamjb can't see his shared vault

Good Luck @adamjb
    @saad Thanks in advance

• adamjb
    adamjb
    Community Member

@stefanodottori

I do not have an account and am not interested in purchasing one. I have payed full price to purchase 1Password for myself and my family, and to purchase pro features in the iPhone and Android apps. The Android app does not support shared vaults unless I want to pay more for a subscription, but the iPhone and Mac apps do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@adamjb: Indeed. I'm sorry that 1Password for Android doesn't yet support multiple local vaults. We thought it was important to add support for OPVault first, and we're working toward making it possible to have more than one in the future. Thanks for letting us know how important this is to you!

• stefanodottori
    stefanodottori
    Community Member

Hi @adamjb

I know how you feels because i'm in the same situation as you

I did not understand your comment when i read for the first time

@brenty Since junuary we are waiting for mutiple vaults in Android , could you please ask the developer team to prioritize this feature ?

Thanks

• I'll definitely pass your feedback regarding syncing multiple local vaults along to the team, @stefanodottori. Thanks! :)

• duch
    duch
    Community Member

Same as @adamjb here, just purchased the pro features on Android, assuming it would have Multiple Vaults. It does not. It definitely should.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the confusion there. Thanks for letting us know. Indeed, 1Password for Android's Pro upgrade does not include support for multiple local vaults. It's definitely something we'd like to have ourselves, though it will take time since the app wasn't designed with that in mind originally. Thanks for your patience!

• pascalw
    pascalw
    Community Member

Another vote here. Kind of disappointed that Android is still a 2nd class citizen for 1Password :-(

• Thanks for the vote, @pascalw. Our developers have been making awesome progress with 1Password on Android, and we're very proud of our Android app. We've still got a number of features we'd like to add in the future, and our team is constantly working on improving it. I'll let them know support for local vaults is important to you. In the meantime, you're welcome to sign up for a 1Password account if you like, and take advantage of multiple vaults on Android that way. :)

• pascalw
    pascalw
    Community Member

Don't get me wrong @peri 1Password for Android has already improved quite a bit over the last few years. However fact of the matter is that it lags behind the iOS version in features.

Also, to be honest your message makes me feel it's unlikely this feature will ever get added in an attempt to push people to your subscription service. I appreciate that that is commercially more interesting for you but for me that is simply not how I want to use the product.

• I recommend taking a look at Dave's post from earlier in this thread for a bit more info. :)

• roopesh
    roopesh
    Community Member

Bump... lest we forget, I'd rather have multiple vault support than a subscription.

Maybe an incentive would be a refund of my license to apply towards a subscription.

• Hi @roopesh. Thanks for the :+1:. If your license was purchased within the last 30 days, we'll be happy to refund. Please email us at support+android@agilebits.com and we'll look into it. Thanks!

• roopesh
    roopesh
    Community Member

No it wasn't the last 30 days. I bought a family license some time ago. I realize it's an old license but if I'm being forced to go from a perpetual license to a subscription I think it'd be fair to offer an olive branch. I think this would go a long way across this community. Having read this thread, everyone feels forced into a model they don't want and not being given any offers.

• Thanks for the update! Sorry for the confusion! We're not forcing anyone to move to subscriptions--we're still supporting standalone licenses. Your existing license can be used indefinitely with its version, and we'll only charge for major upgrades as we always have. We have no plans to change that model, nor do we intend on removing any existing functionality from the standalone version of 1Password.

That said, there have been several promotions since we first introduced 1Password accounts, which many have benefited from. You might be interested in this month's Humble Bundle promotion. ;)

• roopesh
    roopesh
    Community Member

@peri My suggestion was to find ways to bring loyal supporters along with you and incentivize them rather than charge them.

That said, I did buy the Parallels bundle this month that included 1Password Families. Until just now I thought it was just a 1Password license. So I guess I'll be migrating over.

Can you migrate from Families back to stand alone if needed?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@roopesh: I'm not sure that it helps anyone in the long run if we "incentivize rather than charging"; rather, we charge sustainable prices for our products so that we can be around to help and answer questions like yours. So instead we offer a free trial so that you and anyone else can test drive it to see if it's valuable to you. And if you decide it isn't, you can simply not subscribe and go back to using your local vault(s). Cheers! :)

• roopesh
    roopesh
    Community Member

@brenty I didn't want to respond to your patronizing post, but decided I would try to help you think like a customer.

If I buy a mobile phone and want to upgrade, I can trade it in and get some value towards the latest (or sell it on my own). Same goes for cars, or most other physical medium.

In the software space, if I have a store-bought CD of software and want to subscribe to the new SaaS, I can sell my perpetual license.

Many manufacturers and developers help their customers along. Microsoft and Apple have been giving away upgrades (for limited times or perpetually) in order to move people to their newest offerings and subscriptions (e.g. iCloud). Again, car dealerships let you trade-in an existing car to upgrade to the latest.

Families was not a new version (e.g. 3.0 to 6.0), it was a new offering that AgileBits could've helped customers move to. You don't want to? Fine. But don't patronize your existing loyal customers and expect us to be OK with it.

As I stated above, I accidentally bought the Families for a year subscription when I upgraded Parallels. So I don't need to continue this conversation. The question is, for those who are already on this thread and those who will find it in the future, how do you want to be perceived? Customer friendly or righteous?

• Please don't be offended @roopesh as brenty did not mean to be patronizing. He was simply pointing out our reasoning for our new pricing model.

I understand what you're saying regarding existing users, and we absolutely value your (and their) ongoing support. We offered early adopter perks which many of our existing users were some of the first to claim. As such, we do try to be generous and love to help where we can.

That said, I'm very glad to hear that you were able to catch the Parallels promo. If you need any help getting set up with Families, just let us know. Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@roopesh: Indeed, I'm really sorry if you took offense. I meant none, but certainly it's easy to have these sorts of misunderstandings when not interacting face to face. For this reason, I try to choose my words carefully, but I apologize where I've failed in that regard. :(

I really like your phone/car trade in example. Certainly I'm a customer myself, and I appreciate having the option to do something like that. I'm not sure that applies to software though, since there aren't physical goods that can be recycled or resold (as a phone or car can).

As Peri also pointed out, we ran some pretty great early adopter specials. Certainly we could have limited these only to existing customers, but I don't think there's a very nice argument for doing so. Depriving new customers of a good deal doesn't actually benefit existing customers, it only means that fewer people benefit overall. And that would have merely been artificial scarcity since we don't have to manufacture more widgets or anything like that. After all, new customers are customers too, so that seems decidedly customer _un_friendly. If someone is just now hearing about 1Password, that's probably our fault anyway.

I've also absolutely been in the position as a loyal customer where only new customers get a great deal. Sometimes I can grovel and get it myself too, but usually not. So while the policy isn't mine to set or take credit for, I'm really happy that we've offered sales and promotions to all of our awesome customers, whether they've been with us for years or are just getting started.

Of course there are different ways of looking at it, but I guess I'm more in the "glass-half-full" camp: it makes me happy to get a good deal, and sharing that joy with others feels just as good. The more the merrier! The Parallels bundle was in that same spirit, so I'm glad to hear that you got to take advantage of that deal yourself, not just for 1Password Families, but there was a lot of other great software included in that. Always puts a smile on my face. Happy new year! :chuffed:

• Rediwed
    Rediwed
    Community Member

Hmm, @brenty & @peri let's get back on topic?

Until recently I never cared for the multiple vaults feature, though since I got a job that requires me to remember multiple accounts I do have an interest in this feature. Anyway, any update as to when this feature will be implemented? It doesn't sound that hard to implement (still this topic is about a year old now). I mean, all the hard work is already in place (FPS, reading/editing items, synchronisation with both wifi and dropbox, encryption, decryption, pin, etc). Why is this feature not implemented yet? I could understand not implementing this feature for non-subscription based customers (would still be a huge f-you in the face, but ok), but why are the desktop and android version mismatched in their feature set?

I've been a 1password users for years and years and years (even back in the day when you had the ugly, ugly 1password reader). And I love your software. Even got my parents to use (and buy it!!) as well.

However, whilst I understand your movement towards a subscription based payment solution (completely understandable) I do hope you will at least keep the feature set of the same payment version synchronised.

Either choose one time payment (Android/iOS/Windows/macOS) single vault only OR choose to support multiple vaults in all the one time payment versions.

Please?

• Unfortunately I don't have any updates at the moment. While some of the work is indeed already in place, there is a lot more required to expand support to local vaults. We will post here when we have any news. :)

• bhechinger
    bhechinger
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

I'm a long time user of 1Password, which I absolutely adore. We've recently ditched our iPhones in favor of Android devices. I was quite dismayed to find out that 1Password on Android doesn't support multiple Vaults as I use them fairly heavily (one for each family member, one for each job/contract, etc).

Being in the software game I do understand that these things do take time and are very hard to estimate when they will be done. However, you need to tell us something.

I'm willing to wait until this feature is available for a reasonable amount of time. The issue as I see it however is this thread is a year old with no end in sight. I need to know I should wait rather than ditch 1Password for something else. I will not pay a monthly fee for something I've already paid a perpetual license for and as such I'll be quite vindictive and go give someone else a monthly fee before I give you guys one. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I feel (like others I'm sure) that I've been slighted by this.

Please give us something to hold on to!

-brian

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

@bhechinger: While I appreciate that this is a feature that you and others want, and that not having it is frustrating, I don't believe you've been slighted, since this isn't something 1Password for Android has ever been able to do; but I'm sorry if it feels that way.

Certainly if it had previously supported multiple local vaults and we removed that to "incentivize" people switching to the 1Password.com subscription service, I would be angry about that myself. But it was simply easier to architect things from the outset with 1Password.com to support multiple vaults natively. The standalone app predates both 1Password.com and the multiple local vaults feature, which didn't exist at all before 1Password 4, so there's some legacy baggage that makes implementing this more difficult.

As such, I can't make any promises regarding multiple local vaults, but it certainly it would be useful for many of us just as it would you and some other 1Password for Android users. But if this is a feature you need today, then you need to use the tool with the features that are best for your workflow. Obviously we'd prefer that you continue using 1Password, but not if it's going to cause you grief and make you vindictive. I'm sorry that I don't have better news for you right now, but I don't want to lead you or anyone else to believe that this is something that can happen in the near term. There are a lot of features that users have requested, we've added many over time, and we'll continue to do so; but when you're looking for one in particular that hasn't been, it's difficult to feel optimistic. :(

• adamjb
    adamjb
    Community Member

This missing feature still really hurts. I now need to connect multiple families, each on their own 1Password family subscriptions, and Dropbox is the only good way to do that without paying for another 1password family subscription and having everyone also be logged into that. Works fine on macOS and iOS, a disaster on both Windows and Android.

• Thanks for the :+1: @adamjb! I'll pass your feedback along. I'm a little curious about your use case. Would you be willing to describe in a bit more detail what you're trying to do? Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.