Adding 1password to android phone

Options
karengrinter
karengrinter
Community Member

I have 1password on my computer at home..but I need it on my android phone if I am to be able to access some sites when away from home..for the life of me I cannot work out how to do this. Anyone else had any problems with this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• saad
    Options

Hey @karengrinter. The best way to manage your 1Password data between your devices is to use a 1Password account. With a 1Password account, you no longer need to worry about having to manage syncing data between devices. All of this is done for you as your data is kept on our servers securely.

One of the big advantages of using this service is that it simplifies licensing too. Being an active member gives you full versions of 1Password on all available platforms. You no longer need to worry about licenses, in-app purchases or upgrade fees because this gives you access to the most current version of 1Password. If you are interested in learning more, check out our website: https://1password.com/

If you prefer to continue without a 1Password account, you can sync your data using Dropbox sync, WLAN Server or folder/local storage sync. Let me know the approach you would like to take and we will help you through the process. :)

• teriross
    teriross
    Community Member
    Options

I think I have lost all of the time I have saved over the past 5 years with 1 password trying to get the data onto my Android phone. Works fine on my Mac, synced with Dropbox. Opened account at https//1password.com about a month ago. I can't get any of the information into 1password.com and can't get the data onto my new phone. SUCH A LOSS OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• peri
    Options

Hey @teriross. Rather than syncing through Dropbox or another third party service, our 1Password accounts sync through our very own servers. So in order to sync your data through your 1Password account, you just need to move it into your account from your local vault. You can find instructions for that here:
    https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

Otherwise, you can sync your existing data with 1Password on Android using Dropbox. Just reinstall 1Password on Android and on first launch, tap USE WITHOUT AN ACCOUNT. You'll see the Dropbox option on the next screen. Just tap that, and then follow the in-app steps to configure sync with this vault.

Please give one of those options a try and let me know how it goes! Thanks!

• carmenleong
    carmenleong
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, but no, but... You can't login unless the device is Android 5, I'm on 4.4.4?! Catch 22? (Have signed up to 1password 6 on desktop and syncing through 1password account).

• peri
    Options

Hey @carmenleong. Android 5.0 or later is indeed required to use 1Password accounts on an Android device. In order to use 1Password on Android, you'll need to create a local vault there.

Is your desktop a Mac or PC?

• WhoCares
    WhoCares
    Community Member
    Options

That's pretty sad... Android 4.4.x still accounts for 20+% of installations

• peri
    Options

Hi @WhoCares. You can find an explanation of why Lollipop is required for accounts here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/278283#Comment_278283

Let us know if you need anything else!

• erickkoch
    erickkoch
    Community Member
    Options

I can't log onto OnePassword on my android phone. I bought OnePassword through the Apple app store so there isn't a "Key" from an email and I can't figure out how to generate the QR code on my Mac. Any way to get OnePassword on my Android? My email doesn't work either since this was purchased through the App Store so OnePassword can't find my "account" through my e-mail. This is my first post so apologies if this has been answered before. A link to the solution would be appreciated.

Erick K.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

@erickkoch: If you purchased the standalone 1Password app, you won't have an Account Key (or QR code). This is only used for the 1Password.com subscription service...and you won't have any data there anyway if you're not using that. But as Peri mentioned above, you can select "Use without an account" and sync your existing data using Dropbox. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• WhoCares
    WhoCares
    Community Member
    Options

@peri: Thank you, that's a good write up there. Though it is still pretty sad

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@WhoCares: I agree completely. It's a shame that many folks — even with relatively "new" devices — aren't getting OS upgrades because of carriers and OEMs inaction...especially with so many high profile flaws that have received quick updates from Google in recent years. :(

This discussion has been closed.