I just upgraded to a family plan. How do I add my wife's existing 1password account to our family?

Options
thabangh
thabangh
Community Member

I just upgraded my account to a family plan. My wife has an existing 1password account (still in her 1-month free trial) with many passwords now in it. I invited her to join the family, but the invitation doesn't have any way for her to indicate that she already has an existing account. It just tries to create a new account for her.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS and iOS
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:add existing account to family

Comments

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @thabangh ,

Thanks for reaching out! :smile:

There is not currently a migration option to automatically transfer your data from one account to another, however it is still definitely possible. Basically, you will have to export the data from your wife's current 1Password account and then import it into her new account on the family plan. Instructions on how to do this can be seen below.

Exporting the Data:
    Before the data can be added to the new 1Password account, it has to be exported via the 1Password app.

• Open and Unlock the 1Password app.
    • Choose the vault (if you are signed into multiple 1Password accounts) that you want to export the data from.
    • Go to File > Export > All Items. A screenshot for your convenience can be seen below.

• Enter your Master Password to confirm that you want to export your data.

• Make sure that the "File Format" option is set to .1pif for the easiest export/import process as possible. A screenshot for your convenience can be seen below.

• Make sure that the file will be saved somewhere safe, and click on the "Save" button.

• Congrats! Your data has been successfully exported!

Importing the Data:
    Now that the data has been exported, you can create your new account and import the data.

• Create the new 1Password account under the family plan.
    • Add the new account to the 1Password app. This can be done via the "Accounts" pane under your 1Password preferences.
    • Sign out of the old 1Password account. (Please make sure that you still have the credentials for the old account in case you still need to access it.)
    • Close the 1Password preferences pane/window, and go to File > Import. See the above screenshot(s) for a reference image.
    • Choose the file that you saved earlier from exporting your data and click on the "Import" button.
    • Choose the 1Password option from under the "Where is your data coming from?" text. A screenshot for your convenience can be seen below.

• Choose the "Using the Mac app" option, choose the vault that you want to import your data to, choose the file that you want to import your data from, and follow any additional on-screen prompts. A screenshot for your convenience can be seen below.

• Congrats! Your data has been successfully imported!

All done! Feel free to give yourself a pat on the back!

Hopefully, this helps, but please do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of any further assistance! Have a great weekend!

• thabangh
    thabangh
    Community Member
    Options

So this doesn't work, I am guessing because my wife's account is still in the "trial membership" mode. For whatever reason, the "Export" option is grayed out. This page

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/57859/1password-6-mac-cant-export

is not very helpful because it doesn't say how to change vaults. I am running v6.5.3 on MacOS. There is no obvious mention of any vault, other than in Settings, where a single vault is listed. Any advice on how to do this export?

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @thabangh - While Brian gave you a comprehensive explanation on how to export and import your data, I think there's an easier way to move your wife's data from one account to another:

• Make sure you invite your wife to your Family account and get her set up on her Mac.
    • Make sure 1Password is signed in to both your Family account and your wife's Individual account.
    • Move your wife's data from the Personal vault of the Individual account to the Personal vault of the Family account. In case you need a refresher on how to move items between vaults, there's a help article about it.

• After moving the data, make sure you sign out of your wife's Individual account.

That's it. :) I hope this helps.

• thabangh
    thabangh
    Community Member
    Options

OK, this sounds like an easier plan. But I get stuck at step 2: "Make sure 1Password is signed in to both your Family account and your wife's Individual account." How do I do that? I'm logged in via the Web interface to her new, family account. I'm logged in via the app to her personal account. In neither case can I find any menu item about logging in to a second account.

• thabangh
    thabangh
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind -- I figured it out. The answer is to go to Preferences and select Accounts, then add an account.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thabangh - Sorry for not being more specific. I'm glad you figured it out! Let me know if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.