Url scheme for specific items ("item links")

Options
ionos
ionos
Community Member

Hi,

I am looking for a way to reference items in 1password from my Todo-Manager and/or calendar app, so that when I am trying to complete a task that relates to an item in 1password, I could just click on that reference link and have all relevant information at my finger-tips.

The search-URL-scheme ("onepassword://search/...") seems to be too coarse for this.

Thus, it would be great if I could obtain references to individual items directly (eg. "onepassword://SOME-UUID-STRING-OR-SIMILAR"), let's say by right-clicking an item in 1Password (or force-pushing on iOS or whatnot) and selecting "Get Item Link" (to be copied to clipboard). Upon activation, this link would open 1password and navigate right to the referenced item. The same link would ideally even work on mac and iOS, and be vault/location invariant (i.e. moving an item would not invalidate the link).

(Very much inspired by DevonThink's item-link functionality)

Thank you
ionos

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:URL Scheme

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ionos: Interesting! I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to get a better sense of what you're trying to do here. I understand that you're trying to reference individual items, but where are you getting the UUIDs from to do this in the first place? Also, I'm not clear on how this relates to both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS. Are the apps you're trying to integrate something you're developing yourself, and on both platforms? Thanks in advance! :)

• ionos
    ionos
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @brenty , thank you for your reply.

It would be 1Password generating the UUIDs. Doesn't have to be UUIDs, the idea was that 1Password can generate links to individual items that survive the renaming or moving of those items.

Let's say I have a 1Password item "My Bank Account", that contains the telephone PIN that I need to use when talking to my bank over the phone. Now I have a to-do item in my to-do list in Reminders titled "Call bank about money stuff". I would like to attach a link to that to-do reminder that, when clicked, opens 1Password and gets me right to the "My Bank Account" item so that I have the telephone PIN ready when calling my bank. Since I have the Reminders app on both my Mac and my iPhone, just as I have 1Password on my Mac and my iPhone, this link should/could work the same on both devices.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
    ionos

PS: Maybe I should phrase it this way "Extends 1Password existing URL scheme to not only work for searches, but also for individual items"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ionos: That makes perfect sense! Thanks so much for the additional detail. I'll certainly share it with the rest of the team, as I bet we have plenty of "todos" between us that could potentially interact with our 1Password data. Very cool! :sunglasses:

There's just one problem...

When you talk about "moving" items, there's really only one scenario where this is relevant, and that's moving between vaults. For a number of reasons I won't bore you with (unless you're interested), when an item crosses the vault barrier, it gets a new UUID, so this just can't work the way you're imagining.

But I can totally see how linking to 1Password items could be useful. Thanks so much for bringing this up! :)

• ionos
    ionos
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the update, @brenty. I am glad to hear you find the idea useful.

I understand the UUID-across-vaults issue, and it wouldn't be a big deal for me (maybe for other use cases). Just FYI, Jira (Atlassian's bug tracking tool) assigns ticket numbers based on projects (e.g. "FOO-123" for project "Foo bar"); when issues are moved across projects (and hence a new issue number is assigned to the ticket), the old ticket number seems to remain attached so that old links using the previous issue number still work (like a history of all previous issue numbers, that is taken into account when searching for issue numbers).

Best,
    ionos

• Ben
    Options

@ionos

And that is great because JIRA's system ensures that issue ID is never re-issued, but we don't have that kind of protection across vaults. We have measures to ensure items are never issued the same ID within a vault, but this protection doesn't exist across vaults.

So, that said, this is actually already possible. You'll need some way to get the ID of items. On Mac this can be done by opening 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Copy UUID. Then select the item that you want the ID for and from the Item menu select Copy UUID.

Then you can create a URL that looks like this:

onepassword://search/uuid

That should open 1Password to the item, at least on Mac and iOS.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ionos
    ionos
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben: Thank you, that's already a great help.

Are there any plans to extend this functionality to iOS?

Thank you,
    ionos

• Ben
    Options

The links you create should work on iOS. I'm not aware of any way to copy the UUID from iOS, though, or any plans to add that ability. If there were a demand for it I imagine it is something we could consider.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.