Confusion re Subscriptions, Accounts and Vaults

Options
DanielSiegel
DanielSiegel
Community Member

My wife and I each have separate individual licenses for 1Password 6, each with its own separate Vault. I seem to recall previously being able to access 1Password.com (for web access, as opposed to access via our Mac OSX desktop/iOSapp versions of 1Password), but it now appears that we need to create an "Account" for web access (which replaces the need for Dropbox and iCloud syncing with automatic syncing via your website).

So, I created separate Accounts for each of us (replacing each of our Vaults with a new "Personal" Vault), and noticed that our Accounts are now deemed "Trial" Accounts for a month, at which point we will need to purchase annual or monthly "Subscriptions" (Individual or Family) in order to continue using our Accounts.

One question is whether, if we choose not to renew our Subscriptions at the end of the month, will we automatically revert to our individual licensed versions of 1Password? Will this require reversing the process of moving our items into a non-Account-based Vault (though this step was fairly quick and easy when I created the Accounts)?

A larger question relates to the value of a Family Account.
Given that we each already have an individual Account, will the Family Account include both of our indvidual Accounts? Will it have separate login credentials (ie, a separate Master Password and Account Key from the ones associated with our individual Accounts)? If so, which Account would be use for web access, as well as desktop/app access? Would we simply use our "family" Master Password, and no longer need to use our individual Master Passwords?

Moreover, once we are logged into our Family Account (whether via the web or desktop/app), will we need to select an individual Account (and remember the individual Master Password) to see the items in the Vault (or Vaults) associated with that Account? Or will we simply select a Vault, and have access to all of the Vaults associated with each of the individual Accounts we add to our Family Account, (including Shared Vaults)? This is where I am particularly confused, which is preventing me from making the jump to the Family Account (even the trial version) at this point.

I would appreciate if you can clarify how the usage patterns (remembering and entering Master Passwords, selecting Accounts, Vaults, etc) will differ with a Family Account, as opposed to an indvidual Account?

Thanks
Dan

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DanielSiegel: You can find a great overview in our knowledgebase:

What is the difference between a 1Password account and a standalone license?

But I'm happy to address some of the specific questions you have as well.

My wife and I each have separate individual licenses for 1Password 6, each with its own separate Vault. I seem to recall previously being able to access 1Password.com (for web access, as opposed to access via our Mac OSX desktop/iOSapp versions of 1Password), but it now appears that we need to create an "Account" for web access (which replaces the need for Dropbox and iCloud syncing with automatic syncing via your website).

Prior to the 1Password.com subscription service, 1Password.com really didn't exist at all. It just redirected to our main AgileBits.com site, and didn't have a facility to access your data via the web, as there was no data there previously. It sounds like you may be referring to the old HTML file that used to work with Dropbox. Compared to 1Password.com, it was incredibly limited (no editing, only a single vault and certain fields), and it stopped working long ago as its technology was antiquated by today's standards.

So, I created separate Accounts for each of us (replacing each of our Vaults with a new "Personal" Vault), and noticed that our Accounts are now deemed "Trial" Accounts for a month, at which point we will need to purchase annual or monthly "Subscriptions" (Individual or Family) in order to continue using our Accounts.

Indeed. A 1Password Families plan would be best, since it's cheaper than two individual plans, and it facilitates sharing vaults between you.

One question is whether, if we choose not to renew our Subscriptions at the end of the month, will we automatically revert to our individual licensed versions of 1Password? Will this require reversing the process of moving our items into a non-Account-based Vault (though this step was fairly quick and easy when I created the Accounts)?

While you won't lose access to your data (it will be read-only) if you don't subscribe to 1Password.com, you'll probably want to copy your data back to your local vault in that event, and remove the account from the app, just to avoid any confusion.

A larger question relates to the value of a Family Account. Given that we each already have an individual Account, will the Family Account include both of our indvidual Accounts? Will it have separate login credentials (ie, a separate Master Password and Account Key from the ones associated with our individual Accounts)? If so, which Account would be use for web access, as well as desktop/app access? Would we simply use our "family" Master Password, and no longer need to use our individual Master Passwords?

This gets a bit tricky, so bear with me. Individual 1Password.com Accounts (big "A") are completely separate. There's no way to share between them or merge them into a 1Password Families account (small "a"). With a 1Password Families account, the Organizer will have their own 1Password Account, which they use to login to access their data, with their own Personal vault, and any shared vaults; additional family members can be invited (5 are included) and will similarly have their own 1Password Accounts for logging in, with their own Personal vaults and vaults shared with them.

Moreover, once we are logged into our Family Account (whether via the web or desktop/app), will we need to select an individual Account (and remember the individual Master Password) to see the items in the Vault (or Vaults) associated with that Account? Or will we simply select a Vault, and have access to all of the Vaults associated with each of the individual Accounts we add to our Family Account, (including Shared Vaults)? This is where I am particularly confused, which is preventing me from making the jump to the Family Account (even the trial version) at this point.

Any member will use their own 1Password Account to login to the apps (or web interface) to access their data. And they'll have a unique Account Key and Master Password of their choosing.

I would appreciate if you can clarify how the usage patterns (remembering and entering Master Passwords, selecting Accounts, Vaults, etc) will differ with a Family Account, as opposed to an indvidual Account?

The best way to look at it is you'll each be using 1Password pretty much the way you always have, but without having to configure sync; and any vaults either of you have access to will automatically show up for you, whether that's your own Personal vault, or another vault that has been shared with you. it's just a matter of a few clicks to invite a new family member through the website, and then assign them to a shared vault so they can access it along with their own. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• DanielSiegel
    DanielSiegel
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much. That answers almost all of my questions. My only remaining question relates to the mechanics of transitioning from my current situation (with my wife and I each having separate 1Password Accounts on a trial basis) to a Family account.

If I create a Family account, will I need to create new login credentials (eg, using my same Master Password, but with a new assigned Account Key)? Will I then need to transfer my items to that new Personal Vault associated with my Family account (and effectively abandon my existing 1Password Account by letting the trial expire)? And once I invite my wife, will her existing 1Password Account (also on a trial) simply be added to our new Family account, or will she also need to create a new "replacement" 1Password Account?

• DanielSiegel
    DanielSiegel
    Community Member
    Options

The reason I ask about "replacement" 1Password Accounts is that both of us have configured 1Password on computers, phones, tablets, etc with our existing 1Password.com Individual Account credentials. Will we need to change those credentials? Even if we dont change our email addresses or respective Master Passwords, if we get new Account Keys (for 1Password.com access), is that considered a separate login credential? Just want to make sure we dont each end up with separate accounts that dont actually sync.

• Hi @DanielSiegel - Great questions! I'll do my best to assist you today :-)

If you both have existing Individual accounts, I recommend creating a Families account then add the Families account to your Mac. Once the Families account has been added to your Mac, you can then migrate over your existing 1Password data from the Personal vault which is connected to the Individual account.

Once you have added the Families account to your Mac, you can migrate the data over by following the steps below -

Click 1Password in the menu bar, choose "Switch to Vault" and select your Individual Personal vault from the list > Select all of the items by pressing Command-A after clicking one of the items in the list > Click Item in the menu bar, choose Share > (Families) Personal vault > Move. Now all your data should be within the Families account. I will also include a helpful link below just in case -

https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/#to-move-items-in-the-apps

Once you have migrated everything over, you can then delete and remove the Individual account from your devices. When you invite your wife to join the Families account, she will be able to follow the same steps to move everything over. Keep me posted if you have any additional questions. I'll be happy to help out :-)

Have a fantastic day!

• DanielSiegel
    DanielSiegel
    Community Member
    Options

I'm starting to understand, but still have a few remaining questions. My goal is to end up with a single account (say a Family account) that I associate with all of my devices, including web access via 1Password.com. However, within that Family account, I would like to have my own Personal vault, and add my wife who will have her own Personal vault -- primarily so that we dont have to see each other's items in a huge list. I assume we can also create a Shared vault, but that requires deciding which items go into which vault. If we want to access each other's Personal vault, I assume we can do so by sharing our respective Master Passwords (eg, as an item in our Personal vaults in case we forget -- perhaps not the most secure approach, but simpler than remembering 2 Master Passwords).

However, since we each have our own Master Password (associated with our respective Personal vaults), will she have to remember a second Master Password anyway -- ie, my Master Password, which I would associate both with my Personal vault and with the Family account -- whenever she wants to access the Family account on 1Password.com?

In other words, I am asking whether the Family account has its own Master Password (and Account Key) that is distinct (at least conceptually) from the Master Password associated with each Personal vault maintained within the Family account? If that is the case, would everyone who wants web access need to know that Master Password?

• Hi @DanielSiegel - With 1Password Families, each family member by default receives a Personal & Shared vault. Personal vaults can only be accessed by that member, not by you or anyone else. All members also get access to a Shared vault, and you can create additional vaults to share with specific members and manage things a bit more.

I would recommend using the same Master Password for the Families account. Then you only have to remember one. After you migrate your existing data from the Individual account, you then be able to delete it and remove it from your devices leaving you with only one account. I would recommend adding any data you wish to share with your wife to the Shared vault so you both will be able to access this data. There will be no need to share your Master Passwords with each other.

When you invite a family member to join the Families account, each user will be given their own unique Account Key and have an opportunity to create their own Master Password. It's very similar to how each of you set up the Individual account already. The main difference is now, you have access to a Shared vault where you can add common data or anything you want your wife to have access to. Sorry for the confusion and I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any additional questions. I'll be happy to assist.

Have a fantastic day :-)

• DanielSiegel
    DanielSiegel
    Community Member
    Options

I am still a little bit confused about account credentials. Once we migrate to the Family account, that Famly account will have login credentials (including an Email address, an Account Key and a Master Password). My Personal vault will have the same Master Password, which I will use on my devices, as well as for web access via 1Password.com. I will not have a separate "individual" account, as I will delete it after migrating the items to my new Personal vault.

But, when I add my wife, you indicated that she will also be given an Account Key along with her Master Password for her Personal vault. I understand how she can use her Master Password on all of her devices, but still dont understand how she will access 1Password.com. Presumably she will use her unique Account Key, but will she also use her own email address and Master Password? If so, that will presumably give her access only to her Personal vault and any Shared vault(s).

So, is there a difference between the person who sets up the Family account and the other members? Or is it the case that everyone has the same login credentials (their Email, a unique Account Key and a Master Password, which typically will match the Master Password of their Personal vault). Does the originator have any special rights as "owner" of the Family account?

• Hi @DanielSiegel - Yes, when your wife is added to the Families account. During the set up process, we will provide her with an account key and then she will create a master password or use her existing one. If she needs to log into the account online, she will log in using the url domain you set up when initially creating the Families account. Just like her current Individual account, she will use her new account key and her master password to log into the Families account via the web.

The individual who creates the Families account is automatically the Owner. The Owner of the account has special rights such as billing access, being able to invite or remove family members, and the ability to recover accounts. In fact, when you invite your wife to join the account, I would also make her an Owner. Therefore, if you were to ever loose or forget your master password or account key, she can then come to the rescue and recover your account - https://support.1password.com/recovery/

Sorry for the confusion and let me know if you have any additional questions.

• DanielSiegel
    DanielSiegel
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. Thanks very much for your help. I think I'm ready to take the plunge and create the Family account.

• Fantastic news!!! I'm happy I was able to help out :-) Keep us posted if you have any questions while getting set up. We'll be happy to assist.

• cmbb_we1
    cmbb_we1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I appreciate these explanations. What patience your support team shows with this stuff.

I have been longtime 1password desktop app user, and newly created a Team account for my biz.

Now I'd like to get my family account. How do I "add" a family account to my Team account (or personal Account)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cmbb_we1: Thank you for the kind words! Truth be told, we wouldn't be here without awesome customers like you and everyone else here, so patience is our privilege. :chuffed:

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do though. To be clear, 1Password Families, Teams, and individual accounts will all be separate, and have their own credentials (Account Key, URL, etc.) Let me know what you'd like to do! :)

This discussion has been closed.