[Feedback] Beta 6.3.352d takes a step backwards w.r.t. touch screen UX

b_ran_don
b_ran_don
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

With the latest beta, when viewing item details the buttons for conceal/reveal/copy/etc. are hidden until you mouse over the field (e.g. hover over username or password). When using a device in touch screen / tablet mode such as a Surface Pro, this makes it more difficult to interact with the fields. The UX now requires an additional tap onto the field to first make the buttons visible. Furthermore, the button icons are rather small and close, making for difficult finger tap targets.

1Password Version: 6.3.352d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @b_ran_don,

Thanks for writing in with that feedback, we appreciate it. Our goal is that for tablets, you'd want to use the Windows Store version of 1Password 6 that we'll release in the near future with much bigger typography and touch-focused experience while the desktop version is designed for mouse/keyboard experience. However, this is still in the planning stage and we're also looking into the possibility of an interface options for the program to switch to UWP-style interface when it detects the tablet mode if possible or when you set it manually.

The font + icon sizes are something we're still working on optimizing for the next beta update.

• User Name
    User Name
    Community Member

Even using a mouse, I really dislike this change.
    Buttons should always be visible and not hidden from the user.
    They should be aligned with the right edge of the window without the huge padding that's there right now.
    They're currently a very small target that requires a lot of precision to hit, and there's no obvious (e.g. blue) highlight to show which icon your mouse is over.
    Padding in general is a big problem for the new interface. I have lots of items which are being truncated unnecessarily, and should fit in the available space.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

@User Name - I agree that the copy/reveal buttons are a too bit small for my liking in the new beta. However I think, instead of right-aligning all the buttons, the 1Password for Windows app should take its inspiration from the Mac app. Make the buttons dynamically align with the field that's currently being hovered over with the mouse. In my opinion, this makes it easier to see which field the button corresponds to. And include a drop-down menu for additional functions like reveal/large type.

I don't think there's one right way to implement this functionality, but I like the way 1Password for Mac approaches this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't think there's one right way to implement this functionality, but I like the way 1Password for Mac approaches this.

@pbryanw: That's a great point. We'll definitely continue to take cues from the Mac version as we refine it, but with an open mind toward improving 1Password in general across all platforms. Cheers! :)

• Hi guys,

Just to share more, 1Password 6.3 isn't the final design either. We're continuously improving the interface toward the consistent 1Password experience on all platforms. We actually do want to bundle the field with the buttons, so tapping on it would select the default action, which is copy.

The next beta we're going to ship soon is going to have more consistency to the font size across the entire main interface, rather than just the details viewer. Stay tuned as you'll be able to adjust sizes as well that's persistent across restarts.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

@MikeT - Looking forward to the next beta with the new font functionality :+1:

Adding to my previous comment, I still like the way the Mac version handles buttons, but I also like the way the Windows app reveals all the available buttons at once instead of hiding them in drop down menus.

Also, I didn't have the Windows beta in front of me before, but I can now see that each line in details view becomes highlighted on mouseover, which does make finding the corresponding copy/reveal buttons a much easier task.

I hope you keep up with the pace of beta releases & general improvement. It also makes me optimistic about how much the Windows app is going to improve this coming year :chuffed:

• Hi @pbryanw,

Adding to my previous comment, I still like the way the Mac version handles buttons, but I also like the way the Windows app reveals all the available buttons at once instead of hiding them in drop down menus.

Also, I didn't have the Windows beta in front of me before, but I can now see that each line in details view becomes highlighted on mouseover, which does make finding the corresponding copy/reveal buttons a much easier task.

I'm glad you're liking it so far! That's what we've been working toward over the past few months in addition to other stuff we're working on, it is hard to see the progress when you're seeing small pieces of it in each update but we hope you'll like the design we've envisioned since the beginning when all of the pieces fit together. Imagine it with Rich Icons and so on.

By the way, the highlighting also works with arrow keys to navigate between fields and we've also added many shortcuts for each row, such as Control + C (copy the field's value), Control + L (Large Type), Control + R (reveal the concealed field), Control + Alt (reveal all concealed fields) and more.

I hope you keep up with the pace of beta releases & general improvement. It also makes me optimistic about how much the Windows app is going to improve this coming year :chuffed:

:smile: We actually wanted to ship 6.3 stable by now to match our monthly update schedule but this month has us a bit behind because of the Intel's SGX work we're finishing up soon. Hopefully, we'll get back on track soon and switch back to bi-weekly schedule that we want to do.

• MikeT
    edited February 2017

Hi @marksmyth,

Thanks for the feedback, we do agree that it is a step back for the tablets and we are looking to tailor it a bit for tablets.

more of this would be less relevant if the Edge extension would become available very soon...

Microsoft has finally enabled the APIs we need in Edge in the previous Insider Build but it apparently got broken in the current Insider build. We'll keep working with Microsoft on this and will share more details on this with everyone as soon as we have a build ready. At the very least, you will need the Creators Update for Windows 10 coming in the Spring to get that compatible Edge update which may allow us to offer the 1Password extension in the Windows Store. This does mean it is still a few months away assuming everything goes well.

This discussion has been closed.