Can't communicate to server?

scottjenson
scottjenson
Community Member

I signed up for the family trial and my wife and I get started. Trial ended and our accounts were frozen (my fault) I just paid for the year and I'm trying to log in. On my Android phone (which was fully signed in before the freeze, I can log into the app, see my deails and it's asking to 'update my account'. It gives me an error that I cant' contact the 1Password server. I've tried over Wifi as well as LTE data. I've been able to connect to websites and get my email so data is working on the phone. Any thoughts?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 7.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Account frozen, paid for family plan, now says I can't connect to server

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scottjenson: Thanks for reaching out. I’m really sorry for the trouble! It certainly sounds like you've done everything right, so I wonder if we have a bug here. The best thing to do will be to restart your device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post the Support ID you receive here. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• scottjenson
    scottjenson
    Community Member

I found the problem.
    1) When I started the trial I used a personal account on my Android
    2) When I moved to the web, I switched to a family account (so my wife could join)
    3) After the account was frozen/I paid, my web account was able to log in just fine
    4) My "Emergency kit showed my sign in address to be my.1password.com
    5) But my website client showed our joint account family name
    6) I put the family account sign in address into the Android app and it worked

So there are two separate issues here
    1. Why is my emergency kit showing an incorrect sign in address?
    2. Why does the android app give an incorrect error message with a bad sign in address? (It appears to be a data/connection issue when it is a bad credentials issue)

• scottjenson
    scottjenson
    Community Member

I'm a technical person and yet I clearly screwed something up here. It's frightening to me that I have an incorrect emergency kit! The very thing that would unlock everything in a crisis wouldn't have worked! I fully understand that I did something wrong but I just don't see what it was. At the very least, how can I get a new kit as I want to burn the one I have and replace it with a correct one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    1. Why is my emergency kit showing an incorrect sign in address?

@scottjenson: The Emergency Kit shows all the correct information for when it is saved, but if you make changes to your account later it will have no way of knowing; you'll need to save a new one if you regenerate the Account Key or switch between 1Password Families and an individual account, for example. But it sounds like you may actually be talking about two different accounts, which will have separate login URLs and other credentials. Is that the case? Individual accounts will always use my.1password.com, but a 1Password Family (or Team) has its own unique login URL.

1. Why does the android app give an incorrect error message with a bad sign in address? (It appears to be a data/connection issue when it is a bad credentials issue)

There's probably room for improvement, so be sure to let us know if you have suggestions. But keep in mind that we also need to be careful not to leak information ("URL incorrect", for example, says that something else is right). What is the exact error you're getting?

I'm a technical person and yet I clearly screwed something up here. It's frightening to me that I have an incorrect emergency kit! The very thing that would unlock everything in a crisis wouldn't have worked! I fully understand that I did something wrong but I just don't see what it was. At the very least, how can I get a new kit as I want to burn the one I have and replace it with a correct one.

If you save the Emergency Kit during account creation as suggested, it will work for you unless you invalidate those credentials by changing them. But certainly there are good reasons to make changes, so you can always save a new one by going to your profile and clicking "Generate Emergency Kit". I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• scottjenson
    scottjenson
    Community Member

Thank you for your help, much appreciated. As a UX designer, I appreciate the complexities of security but I also fully understand my responsibility to 'follow directions' properly. All I'm trying to say is that I thought I was doing things correctly and yet I still screwed up. I'm happy to go to my profile and generate a new kit, that will solve that problem easily.

As to the incorrect sign in address, I fully appreciate the need to not leak information but the error (which I'm afraid I didn't save) was something like "Can't connect to server" which strongly implies it is a connectivity issue. If it had said "you haven't input your information correctly" (which I believe doesn't leak data) I would have had a very different response. For my experience, it certainly appears and incorrect sign in address displays a misleading error message. I hope that is an easy thing for you to try yourself.

• Thanks for the feedback, @scottjenson. Theoretically, if I tried to sign into https://peri.1password.com and received an error message like "you haven't input your information correctly" we would be admitting that this is an active account, which is giving away information. I do see where you're coming from, though, so I'll pass this on to our team for their consideration.

Let us know if you need anything else! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.