Hello, I have two problems. I'm using my iPad.

Options

I am using my iPad. I have two problems, the first is when I try to change an existing password and generate a new one the password generator keeps filling in the current password section and not the new password section. I even tried in filling it myself and it didn't work! My second problem is thatI'm trying to use the I touch and it doesn't work I had a number password but that doesn't work now since I changed my iPad to the iPad Pro so have to use my master password to get on to I password every time and it's a pain?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: .?
OS Version: iOS 10
Sync Type: Icloud
Referrer: forum-search:Generate new password using iPad

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lynnepat,

When you're changing a password are you using the steps outlined on the page Change your passwords and make them stronger? I just want to make sure we understand precisely what is happening because the details can be quite important.

I don't know if you've ever used 1Password on a Mac or Windows machine in the past but the extension is very different on iOS devices. On iOS devices 1Password can't recognise password change forms in Safari and ask if you want to update a Login item like it can on the Mac or Windows, instead it's a very manual affair. The steps outlined on that page will result in your current password being overwritten with the new one before you've even completed the change password form.

I'll use Amazon as an example because I have a test account there that I hammer with password change requests :tongue:

1. I log in and navigate my way to the password change form.
    2. I try filling with the existing Login item. I get lucky and it does pick the correct field to fill with the current password. If it hadn't I would have had to tap the i icon, copy the password manually, exit the extension and then paste. Cumbersome but possible.
    3. I use the steps Change your passwords and make them stronger to edit the Login item so that the password stored in it is the newly generated one and 1Password copies it to the iOS clipboard.
    4. Using the iOS paste ability I paste the new password into the new password and confirm password fields and then tap the change password button. There is nothing to update in 1Password because the steps on Change your passwords and make them stronger resulted in the new password being stored immediately, technically before it was the valid password.

Things are more elegant on Mac and Windows where you can generate a password using the Password Generator and the Login item is only altered after you change the password on the site and 1Password recognises this. Things are more limited on iOS though and so the procedure is different, involving the iOS clipboard to help. Should you result in the situation where the new password wasn't accepted by the site the old password can still be access via navigating to the Login item in question and tapping on the field titled Previously Used Passwords where you will see a list of previously stored passwords in this Login item. This field will only be visible if you have stored more than one password in the Login item.

As for the second issue. Assuming you have Touch ID enabled for unlocking your iPad Pro can you try toggling the Touch ID setting in Settings > Security from inside 1Password please. I've seen it where stale information can cause 1Password to get confused and turning it off and on again clears the confusion. If you backed up the old iPad and restored the backup to the new iPad Pro that might be the cause of the confusion but if so the above should help. Please do let us know.

• lynnepat
    lynnepat
    Community Member
    Options

I now find the whole thing way to confusing, as sometimes the copy and paste doesn't work and it's all way to complicated. I have decided my best bet is to create a long password of my own as it's much easier and then just store it here. I've tried to figure this out on more than one occasion, so sadly I give up.
    The second problem I tried toggling the switch as you suggested to no avail I did backup my iPad Pro from the previous iPad. Is there anyway I can change the number code or reset it I know the original number 4digit code but it's just not accepting it?

• lynnepat
    lynnepat
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I have solved the secon problem. I went back in and tried again for some weird reason the touch now works. So thank you anyway.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @lynnepat,

Sorry it took two toggles, I can't offer an explanation as to why. I'll need to check our bug reports and see if we have anything filed about this.

As the for the former I can't disagree. I haven't changed a password in my iPhone before as I've always used the Mac. While I can work with the steps we have written on that page they're clunky at best. Part of this is because the extension will never be as powerful as the one we have on Mac or Windows. One key reason is the extension in iOS is not allowed to run all the time, a restriction on any iOS extension. As a result it has no ability to sense a change password form and ask like it can on the Mac and Windows.

That doesn't mean there isn't the possibility of improvement. It's tough when it comes to the extension as we have to be very careful on iOS. The extension is always at risk of being terminated by iOS and there are no doubt many other restrictions I'm not aware of. Still, I have to hope that maybe something better could be done here.

I'm not sure why the copy and paste didn't work unless it's site specific. Certainly a site can stop copy and paste on the Mac and while I've never checked it's entirely possible the same can be done on iOS. That would certainly be a motivator to work on an alternative if sites are going to do this.

This discussion has been closed.