I tried to setup a password for my Citizens One Loan account and could not do so on iOS.

Hi Agilebits,

This company is whom iPhone Upgrade Programs are serviced through so impact is probably more than just myself.

Here's their criteria - dunno if you can implement a custom ruleset to be able to make passwords that "fit" these requirements. I was able to make a password later on my Mac by generating one and editing it (in iOS this is a bit harder to do)

• The password cannot be the same as the User Name
  • The password must be 8-20 characters
  • Password must have alphanumeric characters with one upper case, one lower case and one numeric character.
  • The password must have at least one special character and the characters allowed are ! @ # $ % ^ * , _
  • The password cannot have more than two repeating characters

Cheers,
Rich Merritt

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:citizens one loan

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

Hi @super_fuzz,

Thanks for taking the time to write in - it certainly can be frustrating trying to make passwords that fit rules like this. We tried to design our Password Generator to make it flexible enough to work with as many different websites as possible while also being easy to use. In the list of password requirements you listed above we support all but two requirements - however I will offer workarounds for those:

The requirements we do support:

• "The password cannot be the same as the User Name" - This is an easy one as the password generator will almost never generator the same User Name provided.
    • "The password must be 8-20 characters" - The length slider should take care of this one.
    • "Password must have alphanumeric characters with one upper case, one lower case and one numeric character." - As long as you have the "digits" slider set to > 1 you should be good here.

The requirements we don't support directly but have workarounds:

• "The password must have at least one special character and the characters allowed are ! @ # $ % ^ * , _" - This one is more tricky as we include more symbols than are in this the list. My suggested workaround is to set the "symbols" slider to 1 and click "regenerate passwords" until the one symbol that is included is part of that list.
    • "The password cannot have more than two repeating characters" - we used to have support for this but we have removed it in recent versions, sorry about that. However again clicking "regenerate password" should allow you to generate a password without repeating characters.

I hope this helps - if you've any further questions or something doesn't makes sense don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• rkempe
    rkempe
    Community Member

I have created an account just to thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I have been screaming WHAT PASSWORD GUIDELINES at my computer for like two days. That repeating characters thing is so unguessable - it's bananas they don't actually tell you what they want. Thanks for figuring this out, @super_fuzz. You are a stupendous human being.

• Hi @rkempe,

I fully understand and sympathise. Vague, or in some cases simply wrong, password requirements are frustrating. Two spring to mind whenever this issue is raised. One where I repeatedly locked myself out of an account. The change password form was accepting the new password but their login page wouldn't. I eventually was told by customer support not to use symbols even though their page listed ones they claimed were okay. The other was a subscription that had three different access points, each balked at a certain strength of password. I eventually found one that all three login points would accept. I have a password manager and I want to use strong passwords everywhere but some sites really do make it tough.

This discussion has been closed.