Cannot transfer vaults. NO sync options working

Options
jholliday
jholliday
Community Member

My experience with Onepassword has been extremely good up until this point. I have sent multiple emails but have yet to get a reply. I purchased the mac licensed version back before the subscription service was offered and have been a user for a long time. I downloaded the app and synced it up with my computer and would sync it from time to time. So here is my problem, I had to do a complete reset on my computer and thought I could simply sync my passwords from my iphone to my mac like I had been doing. When I re-downloaded onepassword for my mac and tried to sync up it had me create an account ( I guess this is a new feature since I started with 1P?) Anyways, I tried to sync it up by using the file transfer feature from my iPhone to the Mac but the Mac app will not recognize the file. I tried everything on that end. I also tried to sync by wifi but there is NO wifi sync option in the Mac app. I also tried using iCloud. The tutorial on their website shows a sync option but it simply is NOT there. I searched everywhere. Since creating an account with 1P and logging into it on my iphone I now had two vaults on my phone app. The original one which I have been using for years and the new one that my account created. The last option I had is to copy and paste all my passwords from my old vault to my new one and then have it sync from there. (this is the only way I have been able to sync anything at this point) I saw how to do this with the tutorial on their site. It shows you how you can select multiple logins and copy/paste but when I went to do it there is NO option or way to select multiple logins. I would have to manually go into each login and copy paste. I have a TON of logins and there has to be a simpler way. I am at a complete loss and need to get all my info transfered over for work. I do not know if you guys are aware that your tutorials are out of date with what is actually on the app or not. Maybe I am missing something, I do not know. All I know is that I have yet to hear a response from anyone and have tried every sync option available with no results. Please reach out to me and let's work this out over the phone. Right now if my iphone goes down I will lose everything.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: everything

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

A quick and partial answer is that when setting up 1PW there are two options, use with an account and use without an account. Accounts only exist in the new subscription service. You should have started without an account. Unfortunately this is one of the few places where AgileBits got things wrong, they really need to clarify their initial setup procedure so that people don't get caught.

Also there is no sync option with the subscription (account) approach, as syncing is automatic.

I would recommend removing 1PW completely from your Mac (that includes removing the dat from Application Support in the Library) and starting again, using the option to "continue without an account". You should then be asked where your data is and should be able to find it in iCloud and continue from there. (Of course you will need your iCloud password at some point, but you can find that on your iPhone.)

At some later stage you will be told that your account is frozen., because you have not paid the subscription It is straightforward to get rid of this, but that can wait.

AgileBits staff do reply to all queries. Maybe your emails got lost somehow, but also they answer from first to last received and may just not have got to you yet.

• jholliday
    jholliday
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Danco,
    Thanks for the reply. I had to completely reset my computer so I had to re-install 1P and start from scratch. Unfortunately it only gave me one option upon opening which was to set up an account (there was no way to skip it or do it later). At that point I was able to go through the "find my data" options but it simply does not give me an option to sync via iCloud anymore. (It did upon setup and I tried doing a sync via iCloud and also tried WiFi but it would not work. I checked everything to make sure it was setup correctly and it was) At this point the only option I am seeing is to "import". Like I said above I did do a file transfer from my iphone but the exported file is not recognized by the 1P app on my mac. (the file ends in .1p4_zip

Someone from 1P FINALLY responded to my emails (took 4-5 days) but it was a copy/paste and if they took the time to read my email fully they would have understood that I have tried everything at this point and I need to talk to someone at this point to work through this... I work from my computer and really need to get this setup again as I use it constantly throughout the day....

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jholliday,

I'm sorry you've been having such trouble with 1Password after resetting your Mac! I think I can help to get things back on track.

First, I apologize for the confusion about accounts: As Danco explained, if you didn't previously have a 1Password.com account, you would have wanted to choose a different option from the initial 'Welcome' screen the first time you opened 1Password on your Mac. Instead, you chose the option to sign into an account, and then signed up for a new account.

But that's actually a good thing, as a 1Password.com account makes syncing much easier. That's because you don't need to configure sync at all - all you need to do is sign in to your account from the 1Password app on each device. It sounds like you've already done that, and the problem is simply that you haven't moved your data to your account yet. You can do that on your iPhone by following these steps:

1. Open 1Password on your iPhone and tab Categories at the bottom.
    2. Tap the vault icon in the top left corner to see the vault switcher, then select Primary.
    3. Tap All Items, then swipe down on the screen to reveal the Select Items option at the top.
    4. Tap Select Items, then tap the circle at the top of the list to select all your items.
    5. Tap Move, then select Personal.
    6. Confirm that you want to move all your items to the Personal Vault by tapping Move Items.

Once the items have moved, open & unlock 1Password on your Mac. You should now see your items there.

If all goes well and you have all your data in your Personal account vault on your iPhone and your Mac, you can delete the old (and empty) Primary vault from 1Password on your iPhone to avoid confusion. Simply open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Vaults > Primary > Delete Vault.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

ref: TNK-78326-531

• jholliday
    jholliday
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Drew_AG, thank you for the reply.

For anyone else there was one issue that I found was a root cause finally. I found the app was out of date and after updating I had the option to select multiple logins to move or copy. When I tried to move the bulk from my primary to my personal the option to select the personal account was not there. I found out that it was because I had duplicate logins already saved in my personal account and because of this it would not let me select my personal account to drop them in. I deleted one of the logins from my personal account to see if this was the issue and when I went back it gave me the option to select my personal account. I was able to move all the logins over then. (when I say I couldn't select the personal account the bubble next to the name simply was not there) Not sure what happened, but its working now none the less

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you were able to update and get it sorted out. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of any assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.