Missing Features from 1Password 4 in 1Password 6

raaomoka
raaomoka
Community Member
edited February 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hey Guys,

So, I'm currently in the process of restoring my Surface Pro with fresh Windows 10 and reconfiguring everything to my likings. Prior to this, I was using 1Password 4, which I had installed since Windows 8.1.1. I personally wasn't a fan of the dull and ancient UI of 1Password 4, and seeing how the UI 1Password for Mac was being developed was annoying, especially after paying similarly hefty price for the software. This UI complaint seems to have been solved to a certain extent in the new 1Password 6 (which I just installed on my freshly restored Surface Pro), and it would perfectly fit in place with Edge whenever Microsoft gets off their ass and adds support for extensions like 1Password.

However, it seems to be missing several handy features from 1Password 4:

1. Nowhere to configure a keyboard shortcut to initiate the browser login entries for the specific website. At the moment, have to manually initiate the browser login entries by clicking the 1Password button in my browser (Opera Portable) toolbar.

2. Folders are missing. 1Password 4 offered the ability to create folders for organizing credentials into user-defined categories, and tags were used as key phrases for quickly finding a set of credentials. Due to the prior nature of tags, I made several tags for each credential, specific to what the credential was for. Now, folders are gone in 1Password 6, and it appears tags are now being used as folders; that's loads more folders than the # of credentials I have in my vault :ohnoes:

3. Logins no longer display the favicon of the corresponding site. Now, they all display the generic (but frankly, still neat looking for sites that don't have a favicon) lock icon, and no way of getting favicons for all the logins.

4. Doesn't Automatically Prompt to Save new Passwords. This is a major time save that's now missing in 1Password 6, heck, it was even a key selling point of 1Password.

Perhaps it's still undergoing development, but please don't abandon the above time saving and very handy features from 1Password 4. Only thing I wanted changed in it is the animations and UI design, not downgrade in functionality, thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 6.3.359d
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: Windows 10 v1607b14393.693
Sync Type: Folder

Comments

• Hi @raaomoka,

Thanks for writing in.

We absolutely have plans to implement almost all of your features, we do want 1Password 6 to match and exceed the feature parity of 1Password 4. 1Password 6 is a new codebase for us, so a lot of the missing features have to be re-implemented and we are constantly updating the interface, the next 1Password 6.3 update will be a big step forward in polishing up the UI, like no more copy buttons on all fields and more. You can see the beta notes here to see our progress and you're more than welcome to test the latest beta builds if you want.

Nowhere to configure a keyboard shortcut to initiate the browser login entries for the specific website.

You can configure the basic keyboard shortcut in 1Password's Settings > Options > General > Show 1Password using Control + [Alt] +.

We will expand this to be a full hotkey editor in a future update.

By default, it is the same shortcuts as 1Password 4: Control + \ for direct filling and Control + Alt + \ to bring up 1Password mini where you can type to find the item you want to open, select it and 1Password will open it in your default browser. If it is a non-Login item, it will open in the main 1Password app.

1Password mini will be getting a lot of love very soon.

Folders are missing.

1Password will be going tags only in the future, with plans to include smart folders based on it. We do convert your existing folders to tags on the fly when you import the local vault into your 1Password.com account but it is not available yet when you open the vault directly instead of importing.

Logins no longer display the favicon of the corresponding site.

Rich and Custom icons are not yet implemented in 1Password 6, it is definitely coming in the near future.

Doesn't Automatically Prompt to Save new Passwords.

It does but it is limited to the writable vaults, which is limited to 1Password.com service. Local vaults cannot be modified, thus the auto-save dialogs won't show up.

Perhaps it's still undergoing development, but please don't abandon the above time saving and very handy features from 1Password 4.

Absolutely a work in progress and absolutely will continue to work on 1Password 6 to restore all of these important time-saving features.

Only thing I wanted changed in it is the animations and UI design, not downgrade in functionality, thanks in advance.

We absolutely agree with you and we've tried updating 1Password 4 a few times but it wasn't possible, thus we need to do a new codebase in all new Microsoft technologies that'll be evolving faster.

it would perfectly fit in place with Edge whenever...

We've been working with MS teams on this, they've added the APIs we need in the latest Windows 10 Insider builds. That's the good news, so it is now on us to get it implemented. The problem is that we have to overhaul our current integration support to work with the way the extension works in Edge, we can't reuse what we have now. The better news, the overhaul is going to be better for everyone. We'll share more details as soon as we finish up our work on this.

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

"1Password will be going tags only in the future, with plans to include smart folders based on it. We do convert your existing folders to tags on the fly when you import the local vault into your 1Password.com account but it is not available yet when you open the vault directly instead of importing."

Really? Look at what that has resulted in with my local 1Password vault, literally 1 tag/folder per credential. Tags are meant to make searching for specific credentials easier and faster, using them as folders just bloats the UI as you can see above. Having less tags (in order to avoid UI bloat in 1Password 6) will make finding specific credentials more difficult via the built-in search. This is looking more like a step-back than an "upgrade", or am I missing a new feature in 1Password 6 that's meant to make organizing credentials easy as 1Password 4?

"It does but it is limited to the writable vaults, which is limited to 1Password.com service. Local vaults cannot be modified, thus the auto-save dialogs won't show up."

Sorry if I misunderstand this, but how has 1Password 4 been doing it then if it's not "modifying" the local vault? Do you mean to say they're not modifiable yet?

"We've been working with MS teams on this, they've added the APIs we need in the latest Windows 10 Insider builds. That's the good news, so it is now on us to get it implemented"

Awesome! Looking forward to the Edge extension and possibly fully migrating to the Windows Store app. Would be great to have an Edge Extension communicating with the local UWP app.

• Hi @raaomoka,

Sorry if I misunderstand this, but how has 1Password 4 been doing it then if it's not "modifying" the local vault? Do you mean to say they're not modifiable yet?

Yes, not modifiable yet. Unless you're using 1Password.com service, 1Password 6 is not meant for full-time use with local vaults at the moment.

We have two separate versions of 1Password on Windows at the moment; 1Password 4 for local vaults only and the new 1Password 6 program that is built for 1Password.com service first with plans to add full local vaults support later. Right now, 1Password 6 has basic read-only support with the purpose of helping migrate the data in the local vaults to your 1Password.com account.

Really? Look at what that has resulted in with my local 1Password vault, literally 1 tag/folder per credential.

Did you use a lot of nested folders? If yes, that would explain it as we don't support nested structures for the moment. What this mean is that if you had a nested folder that is Discussion > Disqus, then that item will get two separate tags instead, both tags showing one item.

We're looking into figuring out how to support nested/hierarchical structures for 1Password.com, we won't support folders but we can try to visually group tags, so only one nested tag would show up.

Tags are meant to make searching for specific credentials easier and faster, using them as folders just bloats the UI as you can see above. Having less tags (in order to avoid UI bloat in 1Password 6) will make finding specific credentials more difficult via the built-in search.

I agree and I may have oversimplified it by saying converting folders to tags, we're not trying to treat tags as folders like that but without folders, we must preserve most of your organization structure when migrating local vaults to 1Password.com. This is the best option we have given the constraints and yes, this does mean it is a step back.

Tags are meant to group items by a shared topic. If you want to organize items by something much bigger, we support multiple vaults for this reason. So, for work stuff, you can create a vault called Work and move all of your items into this vault and then tag them. When you're at work and you need to focus only on work stuff, you can switch 1Password over to the work vault.

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

"...and the new 1Password 6 program that is built for 1Password.com service first with plans to add full local vaults support later."

Awesome, looking forward to local vault support being implemented. I'll just "upgrade" back to 1Password 4 in the mean time

"Did you use a lot of nested folders?"

Nope, not a single nested folder, I just had the following 8 parent folders for organizing my 200+ credentials, all of which were thoroughly tagged to ensure they're easily found in the crowd of credentials:

1. Business/Government
    2. Education/Career
    3. Email/Social Networking Sites
    4. Finance/Shopping Sites
    5. Forums/Blogs/News Sites
    6. Media/Entertainment Sites
    7. Productivity Tools
    8. Torrent/Downloading/File Hosting Sites

"Tags are meant to group items by a shared topic."

That makes sense in the case of forums where the item you're searching for could exist in multiple threads. In the case of a password manager, where you're going to be looking for a specific credential for a specific site, that only slows down the process as you'll be having too many credentials with that "shared topic" tag (basically, just like my folders).

"If you want to organize items by something much bigger, we support multiple vaults for this reason"

Right, only one major problem I see with that in my case (if I were to convert all of the above folders to vaults); I'll have to be taking time to log in/out of vaults, which could get frustrating quick, especially in those situations where I don't fully recall the vault I kept a credential in...unless 1 master password can unlock all vaults and when searching for credentials, it searches all the vaults, in which case, they're a better alternative to folders, as you could have a vault for shared credentials.

• Hi @raaomoka,

...I just had the following 8 parent folders for organizing my 200+ credentials..

That is a use case that 1Password was not designed for, we didn't think people would tag each single item like that because you usually just rename the title of the item if you want to do that. We'll keep this in mind and see if there's a better place for that kind of organization.

I'll have to be taking time to log in/out of vaults, which could get frustrating quick, especially in those situations where I don't fully recall the vault I kept a credential in...unless 1 master password can unlock all vaults and when searching for credentials, it searches all the vaults, in which case, they're a better alternative to folders, as you could have a vault for shared credentials.

That's the big benefit in 1Password 6, we do not require you to unlock each vault or even switch anymore because of the new internal database structure we're using now. 1Password 6 has All Vaults support, so you can see content in all vaults or easily switch to a specific vault, no unlocking required and it is very fast. Once 1Password matures a bit with better keyboard shortcut support in 1Password mini, you'd be able to do something like press Control + 1 to switch to vault 1 (personal), Control + 2 to the work vault, etc.

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member

"That is a use case that 1Password was not designed for, we didn't think people would tag each single item like that because you usually just rename the title of the item if you want to do that"

Well, your Windows GUI for saving new credentials was seriously calling for it given that you provide no simple way of reusing the same tag. You can't be expecting users to remember precisely the same tags and manually re-enter each of them. For the use case you describe, instead of giving a blank textbox for the tags, the GUI for saving new credentials should display a list of previous tags that the user can simply click on to assign to the new credential...maybe that's how you have it on macOS while living it half-assed on Windows.

"That's the big benefit in 1Password 6, we do not require you to unlock each vault or even switch anymore because of the new internal database structure we're using now. 1Password 6 has All Vaults support, so you can see content in all vaults or easily switch to a specific vault, no unlocking required and it is very fast. Once 1Password matures a bit with better keyboard shortcut support in 1Password mini, you'd be able to do something like press Control + 1 to switch to vault 1 (personal), Control + 2 to the work vault, etc."

Awesome! Looking forward to it being developed to be a practical upgrade for 1Password 4.

• Hi @raamoka,

Well, your Windows GUI for saving new credentials was seriously calling for it given that you provide no simple way of reusing the same tag.

Tags auto-completion is coming in a future update to help with this.

• raaomoka
    raaomoka
    Community Member

"Tags auto-completion is coming in a future update to help with this."

Awesome! Really looking forward to that new feature. In the mean time, I'll just be cleaning up my tags in preparation for it.

PS. Just for clarification of previous post:

• Hi @raamoka,

Thanks for that, we do understand but until we actually implement the auto-completion/suggestion support first, we don't know what we can do with the UI. Once we implement it first, we can play around to see what will work. If Windows provide a default control that's consistent with other programs, we'll use that.

This discussion has been closed.