To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Internet explorer ridiculous

Neu12
Neu12
Community Member

ridiculous: you don't even support internet explorer - your application tries to install the Safari Extension on my computer- and you call yourself save!!!! how can i trust you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:internet explorer

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Neu12: I'm not certain if you're referring to the 1Password.com web interface or the app, so if you can clarify I may be able to offer more information.

In the case of the former, unfortunately Internet Explorer simply doesn't support the modern WebCrypto standard, which 1Password.com uses to allow it to do complex cryptographic functions in the browser, which is fundamental to the security of 1Password.com users.

In the case of the latter, 1Password for Windows version 4 has a built-in IE add-on which is installed with the app; however, the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app does not support IE, as Microsoft is no longer developing it. It's something we'll continue to evaluate, but it's difficult to justify devoting development resources to it when even Microsoft isn't anymore.

Fortunately in each of these cases, there are more secure browsers which are both still under active development and supported by 1Password, such as Chrome, Firefox, and several alternative browsers. We're also working with Microsoft to develop an Edge extension, and the 1Password.com web interface already works with it.

Certainly if IE is part of your workflow this may be disappointing, but given its security record and legacy status, there are much better alternatives nowadays. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• Neu12
    Neu12
    Community Member

Hello
    thank you very much for your explanation!!

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Neu12 - On behalf of brenty, you're welcome! Please let us know if you need anything else. We’ll be happy to help! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! We're here if you need anything else. :)

• rockstr
    rockstr
    Community Member

Unfortunately. there are still some web sites out in the world that work best (or will ONLY work properly) with Internet Explorer. Whiie few, there are a couple that I must use, and the 1password extension does not work in my (most current) versions of Windows 10 and IE11. Even though the Enhanced Protected Mode and 64-bit processes for Enhanced Protected Mode are deactivated, I still get the error message to turn them off. I have been a 1password user since its very earliest versions (many years ago), and find I must now abandon the platform for password management. I am sorry you have decided to forego development for IE while it is still supported by Microsoft and in such wide use.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Unfortunately. there are still some web sites out in the world that work best (or will ONLY work properly) with Internet Explorer.

@rockstr: I try not to think about it, but you're right that there are some laggards out there. Not much we can do but encourage them to join us in the 21st century. ;)

Whiie few, there are a couple that I must use, and the 1password extension does not work in my (most current) versions of Windows 10 and IE11. Even though the Enhanced Protected Mode and 64-bit processes for Enhanced Protected Mode are deactivated, I still get the error message to turn them off.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, 1Password 4 does support Internet Explorer 10 and 11 fully. If you're using that and still having trouble, be sure to let me know, as I'm sure there's something we can do to help. :)

I have been a 1password user since its very earliest versions (many years ago), and find I must now abandon the platform for password management. I am sorry you have decided to forego development for IE while it is still supported by Microsoft and in such wide use.

However, if you're using the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, it does not support IE. Most importantly, Microsoft doesn't either, and our combined efforts are focused on Edge. Certainly it's something we can revisit after that is ready, but we really need to focus on where the puck is headed, not where it's used to be (to paraphrase Gretzky). I'm sorry if this isn't good news for you and a few others who are stuck with websites which are still using outdated web standards (or eschewing them entirely), but we need to put our resources where they'll do the greatest good, both now and for years to come. :(

This discussion has been closed.