Trouble with 1Password 3 for Mac and upgrading to version 6

Options
jamphd
jamphd
Community Member
edited February 2017 in Mac

Do I have to purchase a newer version, I really never figured out how to work this.

1Password Version: Version 3.8.21 (build 32009)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I can't update. I Have the registration key. I try to download the update-but get error

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamphd: You appear to have a valid license for 1Password 6 (which includes 1Password 3, which you're using currently). Using 1Password 6 is recommended if you're on a recent version of macOS (née OS X). Which OS are you using on your Mac? We'll get this sorted out for you! :)

• jamphd
    jamphd
    Community Member
    Options

I am using MacOS Sierra 10.12

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamphd: That's great! It simplifies things considerably. I've resent your license information via email, so just follow the instructions there to install 1Password 6 and register the app. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jamphd
    jamphd
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I am sorry but when I download it . an error comes up that says:"There is no application set to open the URL x-onepassword4:// [license information removed by moderator]

• jamphd
    jamphd
    Community Member
    Options

I think I finally got it downloaded. Now my question is since I haven't used it for a long time should I delete what I have and start all over? I'm also confused about generated passwords, shouldn't all the passwords be generated. The reason I haven't used this, is because I never really learned how. 1 more question. How to delete safari /google and icloud key chains. I really want to use only 1 password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamphd: No worries! We'll go through step by step so you can get it setup just the way you want.

If you'd like to start over completely, that's actually pretty easy. Just make sure 1Password is locked and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. Just make sure that you don't have anything important stored there!

Regarding generated passwords, in the side bar on the left in 1Password, you'll probably see the Passwords category. These aren't directly used to login to websites; rather, when you generate and use a new random password, 1Password saves a Password item for it, just in case. That way, even if you don't save a Login in 1Password for the site, you can recover it:

1Password safety net

As for the various browser password management / autofill features, you can disable these. Some people use them alongside 1Password, but we generally recommend against that, because it can create confusion over what is saved where:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

It is not possible to disable the macOS (or iOS) Keychain, and you probably don't want to disable iCloud Keychain completely since many other features depend on it, but you can disable autofill in Safari.

Finally, while you probably have accounts that aren't using generate passwords, you use 1Password to improve the security of your existing accounts by updating them:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

Let me know how it turns out! :)

• jamphd
    jamphd
    Community Member
    Options

Still confused, is there a video that explains things from start to end?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamphd: Can you tell tell me the source of your confusion? Where are you running into trouble exactly? You asked about a number of unrelated things, so I tried to address all of them; but certainly it isn't possible for us to offer a single video to address all of the questions you happened to ask, especially since much of it involves other companies' products, such as iCloud and the web browser. I'm happy to help you with 1Password, but I really need to know what you still need help with after all this time. Thanks in advance! :)

• jamphd
    jamphd
    Community Member
    Options

If I change a password will 1password automatically go to the newest password? Some logins I have 5 or 6 passwords? Does 1 password automatically create a password, or does it use the one I create? How can I use this on my Mac, iphone and my ipad?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jamphd,

Since you were able to upgrade and now have questions about saving/changing/filling passwords on websites, I've moved your forum thread to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum. I hope you don't mind!

If I change a password will 1password automatically go to the newest password?

To change a password for a website account, you'll want to sign into your account on that site and find its 'change password' form. When you select a new password and submit that form, 1Password should offer to update your Login item with that new password, so it has the same information as the website. We explain how to do that here:

Some logins I have 5 or 6 passwords?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking here - can you please elaborate on what you mean?

Does 1 password automatically create a password, or does it use the one I create?

It will work either way: When you save or update a Login item through the 1Password extension in your browser, 1Password will save whatever password you entered on that website (regardless of whether that password was created by you or by the password generator).

If you want to have 1Password generate a password for you when signing up on a website or when changing a website password, you'll need to use the 'Password Generator' option in the 1Password extension / 1Password mini. Please see the above knowledgebase article about changing your passwords to find more information about that.

How can I use this on my Mac, iphone and my ipad?

If you're asking about how to use 1Password in general, I highly recommend checking out these pages on our support site:

Or if you're asking about how to save, fill, and change passwords on websites, please make sure you take a look here:

Does that help? Please let us know if you have any questions about anything in those support articles, or if you have other questions. Cheers! :)

• jamphd
    jamphd
    Community Member
    Options

The program told me to update to Changes for version 3.8.22 (build #32010)

Published on 2014-05-21

This update improves compatibility with 1Password 4.

This is a free update for all 1Password 3 license holders. Please join us in the forums to provide feedback and report any issues.

Full Changelog

New Added notification about 1Password 4 being available to Mountain Lion and Mavericks users.

New Added Help > About 1Password 4 menu.

Changed Removed incorrect alert about Safari extension not being installed.

I get an error message each time. and when I go to safari, it tells me the extension is not installed.
    I'm using Sierra Version 10.12.2 and the 1 Password version 3.8.21
    Please help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamphd: Ah, that explains it. It sounds like you never installed 1Password 6 like I suggested back in October, which also explains why you had trouble with the x-onepassword4:// link after that, and why everything we've suggested since then didn't make sense to you.

Please check your email for your license information, which I've just sent again. This will include a link to install 1Password 6 (which is compatible with Sierra and modern browsers) and for your license. Please install 1Password 6 first so that the license link works when you try to use it. Then, install the 1Password extension in your browser. That should get you most of the way to where you want to be. Just let me know when you've done that and we'll go from there. :)

• jamphd
    jamphd
    Community Member
    Options

I am finally able to access 1password from my Safari Browser and my Chrome Browser. Thanks for all the help. I am now trying to put it on my iphone and ipad. It says that my key is not correct. I am positive that I've typed it in correct. Is it necessary to put the - in and capitalize all letters?

• jamphd
    jamphd
    Community Member
    Options

The program continues to quit on me. What am I doing wrong?

This is part of the details
    Process: 1Password [3675]
    Path: /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password
    Identifier: ws.agile.1Password
    Version: 3.8.21 (32009)
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: ??? [1]
    Responsible: 1Password [3675]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2017-02-12 09:32:16.890 -0800
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.12.3 (16D32)
    Report Version: 12
    Anonymous UUID: 84C4F561-2D50-9884-7227-569959877DF1

Sleep/Wake UUID: 5D86C91E-F6BA-4F21-8A6D-1CE2D7C95561

Time Awake Since Boot: 10000 seconds
    Time Since Wake: 3700 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
    Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
    Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

Application Specific Information:
    objc_msgSend() selector name: _updateFrame:

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fffb0dd8b69 objc_msgSend + 41
    1 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9c188a6c CFNOTIFICATIONCENTER_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER + 12
    2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9c18896b _CFXRegistrationPost + 427
    3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9c1886d2 ___CFXNotificationPost_block_invoke + 50
    4 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9c145d63 -[_CFXNotificationRegistrar find:object:observer:enumerator:] + 1827
    5 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9c144d9c _CFXNotificationPost + 604
    6 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cce947 -[NSView _postFrameChangeNotification] + 429
    7 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cc95e1 -[NSView setFrameSize:] + 2525
    8 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cef7a3 -[NSClipView setFrameSize:] + 442
    9 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99ce0aab -[NSView setFrame:] + 390
    10 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99c8bb1d -[NSScrollView _setContentViewFrame:] + 627
    11 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99c8a014 -[NSScrollView tile] + 714
    12 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99c89cbb -[NSScrollView _tileWithoutRecursing] + 51
    13 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cf255a -[NSScrollView _update] + 27
    14 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cc9385 -[NSView setFrameSize:] + 1921
    15 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99d6cb81 -[NSScrollView setFrameSize:] + 1154
    16 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99ce0aab -[NSView setFrame:] + 390
    17 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cecedc -[NSView resizeWithOldSuperviewSize:] + 665
    18 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cec782 -[NSView resizeSubviewsWithOldSize:] + 360
    19 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cc9385 -[NSView setFrameSize:] + 1921
    20 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99ce0aab -[NSView setFrame:] + 390
    21 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cecedc -[NSView resizeWithOldSuperviewSize:] + 665
    22 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cec782 -[NSView resizeSubviewsWithOldSize:] + 360
    23 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cc9385 -[NSView setFrameSize:] + 1921
    24 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99ce0aab -[NSView setFrame:] + 390
    25 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cecedc -[NSView resizeWithOldSuperviewSize:] + 665
    26 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cec782 -[NSView resizeSubviewsWithOldSize:] + 360
    27 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cc9385 -[NSView setFrameSize:] + 1921
    28 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cef7a3 -[NSClipView setFrameSize:] + 442
    29 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99ce0aab -[NSView setFrame:] + 390
    30 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99c8bb1d -[NSScrollView _setContentViewFrame:] + 627
    31 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99c8a014 -[NSScrollView tile] + 714
    32 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99c89cbb -[NSScrollView _tileWithoutRecursing] + 51
    33 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cf255a -[NSScrollView _update] + 27
    34 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cc9385 -[NSView setFrameSize:] + 1921
    35 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99d6cb81 -[NSScrollView setFrameSize:] + 1154
    36 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99ce0aab -[NSView setFrame:] + 390
    37 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cecedc -[NSView resizeWithOldSuperviewSize:] + 665
    38 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cec782 -[NSView resizeSubviewsWithOldSize:] + 360
    39 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cc9385 -[NSView setFrameSize:] + 1921
    40 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99ce0aab -[NSView setFrame:] + 390
    41 ws.agile.1Password 0x00000001000123c8 0x100000000 + 74696
    42 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99d10512 -[NSSplitView resizeSubviewsWithOldSize:] + 1061
    43 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99cc9385 -[NSView setFrameSize:] + 1921
    44 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff99d100a5 -[NSSplitView setFrameSize:] + 151

• jamphd
    jamphd
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

It continues to say that I have an invalid Key. Why
    Also should my 1 password still show that I have Version 3?
    I am so sorry that I can't figure this out. I am discouraged and I know you have tried to help.

Certain images removed by AgileBits

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @jamphd,

As these are public forums I've removed a couple of the images you added to your last post - you probably don't want certain details being visible to the entire world :smile:

The first thing to do is get rid of 1Password 3 for Mac. While it is still in a pre-initialised state you do have a copy of 1Password 6 on your Mac now and that older version just isn't going to work any more.

1. Open a Finder window and look at your /Applications/ folder.
    2. You should see two copies of 1Password, one titled 1Password 6 and one just titled 1Password. Move the one titled just 1Password to the Trash.

Next let's see if we can help get 1Password 6 set up. At the moment you're in a setup window for a 1Password account. Our 1Password accounts are a new service we introduced last year and they require an account key and Master Password as part of the credentials to unlock the encrypted vaults stored on our server. What you have is a licence key, something we used back in 3 for Mac. A licence key was how we informed a copy of 1Password 3 for Mac that the user was a fully paid customer and could legitimately use 1Password. This is separate from your vault and was just about instructing 1Password not to behave as if a trial was active or had expired.

On the first welcome screen of 1Password there be a few options, pick the one titled More Options.... This will cause a small menu to appear. Pick the option titled On my Mac. On this next screen click the button title Choose File.... This will open a small Finder window whose purpose is to allow the selection of an existing Agile Keychain. It will undoubtedly not show you your Agile Keychain to start but don't worry.

If you use Dropbox try looking in your Dropbox folder for something titled 1Password.agilekeychain. If you find one select it and you should be presented with the standard 1Password lock screen.

If you don't use Dropbox then your Agile Keychain is likely in the default location for 1Password 3 for Mac so can you try the following please.

1. Open a Finder window.
    2. Use the menu option Go > Go to Folder....
    3. Paste in the following path and click the Go button. The path to paste in is ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/.
    4. All going well you should see a 1Password.agilekeychain in the Finder window. Drag and drop this anywhere on top of the Finder window that 1Password opened up and you should find it now shows the 1Password.agilekeychain in that window and it's selected. Clicking the Open button should now present you with the standard 1Password lock screen.

You will likely find 1Password starts off in a trial mode and what you need is to download and use your licence file. There will be a link in the email from us assuming you've requested your licence details any time recently.

Longer term you may want to consider a 1Password account. It's a subscription based service where we host your data. It's designed to try and make adding new devices a lot easier amongst other things but before we reach that stage we need your data from the older 1Password 3 format in a copy of 1Password 6 anyway which requires all of the above.

Please do keep us posted as to how you get along and I hope something here helps.

• jamphd
    jamphd
    Community Member
    Options

I can't believe that after 3+ months, with your help I was finally able to install the newest version of 1Password. My question now is.......since I was really stupid and posted info that I shouldn't have, am I going to be hacked or ????????????? Is there something else I should do to protect myself?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jamphd,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier to try and ease your concerns. What you posted shouldn't lead you to being hacked, at worst you may receive some spam if miscreant found the email address in the brief time it was available and decides to add you to a list somewhere. What you definitely haven't done is left your vault vulnerable. When it comes to personal data I just like to be cautious and ensure our users don't accidentally reveal anything they probably didn't intend to. Don't worry, it's nothing like the incidents you hear about when companies lose your details like a social security number if you're in the US.

I hope this reassures, please do say if you're still worried.

• jamphd
    jamphd
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, thank you. I can't believe that I was so stupid. I have struggled with 1password since I got it. Would try to figure it out, then give up, then try again, etc.etc.etc. Your help finally put me where I needed to be.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamphd, we all have moments where we wonder what we were thinking. I've had entire days where I look back and wonder if my brain was working at all when I review how I tried to help somebody. Thankfully I do genuinely doubt you've placed yourself in any harm, I just wanted to make sure we kept it that way and minimised any opportunity.

Hopefully 1Password is working better for you but please don't forget we're always here to help if you're struggling with any aspect of it.

This discussion has been closed.