To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

My Master Password only works to log in on my phone

Options
wachl917
wachl917
Community Member

My Master Password will open the app on my iPhone 6 (running iOS 10.2.1). When I try the same Master Password in the app to reset the password I am told the Master Password is incorrect. If I try to log in on my MacBook Air (running 10.12.3) I am also told the Master Password is incorrect. I do have a special character and have tried it changing it to the corresponding number and removing the special character completely.

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Oliver78
    Oliver78
    Community Member
    Options

Are you sure you aren't miss-typing your password on the mac and when attempting to change you password?
    If you are then try restoring a backup of 1Password from when it did work. https://support.1password.com/backups/

• wachl917
    wachl917
    Community Member
    Options

I have the password in a document. I copied it and pasted it in the app. Unlocked the app. Tried to paste it in to the settings to reset the password and it did not work.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wachl917,

Have you recently changed your Master Password? Master Password change propagation has a lot of moving parts under the bonnet, and so can sometimes not propagate changes in exactly the way that you might expect. If so, please try your old Master Password on your MacBook Air.

Also, please double check whether you are using a 1Password Account or not. In 1Password on your iPhone (where you can unlock 1Password) just go to Settings -> Accounts and see that you do have an account listed. If you do, then please try to see whether you can log into that account through a web browser at my.1password.com (for an Individual account) or YOURDOMAIN.1password.com for a Team or Family account.

If it turns out that you are not using a 1password.com account, then double check your 1Password sync settings in 1Password on your iPhone. Once we know more about how you are synching your data, we can help with making sure that it is synching properly.

Also if your Master Password has non-ASCII characters in it, such as ü or Г it may behave differently on different devices under some circumstances. But my guess is that there is some data synchronization issue that is at the root of the trouble, and as soon as we know more about that we should be able to get this sorted out.

Cheers,
    -j

• wachl917
    wachl917
    Community Member
    Options

j,

I do have an account listed on my phone. When I try to use the Master Password that unlocks the app through a web browser I get "Cannot sign in. Your Master Password is incorrect."

I did check my sync settings and sync was not set up. I have turned it on through iCloud and had it sync. I tried logging in again but with no success.

W

• MMorrison
    MMorrison
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar issue. I can log into the Mac desktop client, but cannot log into the web sign in form using the exact same details (copy/pasted or hand typed).

• mrvol
    mrvol
    Community Member
    Options

I have exactly the same issue. Can get into the app but can't get to the website from Mac or from within the iPhone app.

• Hi @wachl917 - Thank you for getting back to us. It sounds like you were using 1Password prior to signing up for a subscription account. Did you create a new Master Password when you signed up for the account? If so, can you using the new Master Password and not the original one that currently unlocks the apps. Keep me posted. :-)

• Hi MMorrison - Sorry for the inconvenience. I just sent you over an email so we can work on this together. When you get a chance reply back to me there so we can continue the discussion. Talk to you soon.

ref: ZRS-54864-972

• Frank
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi mrvol - Thank you letting us know and I'm sorry for the login issue. To get a better understanding, I just sent you over an email so we can get this squared away for you. Reply back to me when you get a chance so we can discuss this further.

I look forward to hearing back from you :-)

ref: CNJ-85297-878

• wachl917
    wachl917
    Community Member
    Options

Frank,
    I thought I used the same password. I did start on the app and then moved to the computer as it was faster to enter data. If I don't recall the master password I used on the computer what do I do?

• Hi wachl917 - I just sent you over an email so we can try and work on this together. When you get a chance, reply back to me then we can continue the discussion over there. Talk to you soon :-)

ref: SDG-65157-576

• uwgary
    uwgary
    Community Member
    Options

I have the identical problem. The master password works on the Iphone 6 to enter the software. However, when attempting to change the password through the account data, the same password does not work. I am attempting to set up the software on my windows 10 desktop but am unable to log into the site. Sync is setup and runs through the apple cloud.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@uwgary - Thanks for reaching out. Too look into your issue in some detail I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.