Accounts vs. standalone

Options
rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

I just let my trial individual account lapse because it just did not seem to be a good fit for me. There were some features not available on the standalone that I liked, and some that I did not like. I also have an inherent dislike for subscription services. Being retired on a fixed income I try to minimize inflexible recurring costs. By this I mean: I really cannot control when the fee is charged every year. However, I can control when I pay for new version upgrade. If not convenient one month, I can wait until the next month.

That being said, I am concerned that the standalone is not being given the same priority as the accounts, based on some of the wording used in your answers to questions. Words such as 'the old way', that convey lower level importance of the standalone.

Just my two cents worth.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51

Thanks for the feedback!

Being retired on a fixed income I try to minimize inflexible recurring costs.

I understand. Do you have any family or friends that might want to split a 1Password Families account with you? That could help save on cost. The cost of a Families account is less than the cost of two individual accounts, but gives up to 5 people access to 1Password. My parents are in a similar situation (retired; fixed income). I've added them to my 1Password Families account to save on costs. We really don't share much information... just WiFi passwords mostly, but that is okay. :)

It also helps in that multiple account organizers can be designated who can assist if someone forgets their Master Password or loses their Account Key:

Recover accounts for family or team members

That being said, I am concerned that the standalone is not being given the same priority as the accounts, based on some of the wording used in your answers to questions. Words such as 'the old way', that convey lower level importance of the standalone.

You're right: 1Password accounts are where our focus is. The standalone method uses the same apps (with the exception of 1Password 6 for Windows which is exclusive to 1Password accounts) and so standalone does benefit some from any general improvements that we make. The changes in messaging (e.x. referring to standalone as "old") are intentional and intended to convey that focus.

Thanks.

Ben

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Alas, it is just me. I trained to get my wife to use it but she really has no interest so I have her data in mine.

Maybe unintentional, but admitting that your word choice is deliberate gives credence to earlier posted concerns about the future of the standalone app: to be neglected without updates until changes in operating systems makes it unusable and easier to drop as a supported app.

• Ben
    Options

The apps have been, are, and will be a core part of our offering for the foreseeable future. I suppose the question is if it will still make sense for us to license them as we have in the past, or to only offer them through subscription in the future. At this time we have no plans of not selling licenses anymore, but we are certainly encouraging subscriptions. We truly believe they are the better way, for the vast majority, to use 1Password. There is certainly a minority that is comfortable setting up syncing & sharing manually and managing licenses across various platforms, but most people want it to "just work," and that is what a subscription gives them.

It'll be interesting to see the statistics when a paid upgrade is released how many folks upgrade their license, vs how many switch to a subscription.

Ben

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

It'll be interesting to see the statistics when a paid upgrade is released how many folks upgrade their license, vs how many switch to a subscription.

I'm sure that will depend on the cost of the license upgrade vs. the subscription as well as the enhancements to the license version. It's conceivable that the price of the license could be increased to the point where people would be forced to switch.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Well isn't that a shame.
    I really wanted to believe the assurances in the August posts "Standalone licenses vs new subscription service"

• Ben
    Options

Standalone licenses vs new subscription service

This thread?

It is quite long, so admittedly I didn't re-read every word of it, but I don't see what has really changed?

Here I said:

There I said:

Our current position is that as long as folks continue to purchase licenses we'll continue to sell them. Hopefully the folks that are passionate about the ability to purchase a license will vote with their wallet and support that business model. But I think we'll find both options can co-exist.

Ben

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

Great to hear that they'll be able to co-exist.
    I have situations where I want to use the standalone licenses and others where I want to use the subscription service.
    The former when I need to use 1P on silo-ed devices, the later when I want to use it on more collaborative situations (e.g. with Family as its name implies).

• Ben
    Options

Great to hear that they'll be able to co-exist.

That is the goal. :)

The former when I need to use 1P on silo-ed devices, the later when I want to use it on more collaborative situations (e.g. with Family as its name implies).

:+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.