View multiple items at one time [Not possible yet in 1Password 6]

RichardStartz
RichardStartz
Community Member
edited February 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

It would be nice to be able to view multiple items at one time. One reason for this is that sometimes I want to create a new item by copying some fields from an existing item.

I can see that this might be a bit tough in the current design, but it would be good enough to be able to open an item in a non-modal pop-up window. The window doesn't need to be write-able, but being able to copy would be needed.

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RichardStartz,

Thank you for contacting us and using 1Password! :chuffed:

That would be an interesting feature to have, but I wonder if a feature like this will be more confusing than helpful. If you are viewing several items at once, how do you show which item is active and which is not? It is quite a challenge from a design point of view and I am not sure if it is worth it. :)

As for your non-modal popup suggestion, we have something similar in the current version of 1Password 6 for Mac, where you can anchor an item in 1Password Mini and view it on top of the browser window or 1Password app:

Does it look like the feature you would like to see in 1Password on Windows? ;)

In the meantime, if you are interested in creating a new item using some fields from the existing one, you can copy (or duplicate) an existing item and change it according to your needs.

I hope we are on the same page here, so let's keep the conversation going. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• RichardStartz
    RichardStartz
    Community Member

Something like what you show for the Mac might do it.
    In the meantime...

(1) I don't see how to duplicate an item. When I use the context menu I'm offered the chance to copy, but only to another vault--not the current vault. Am I missing something?

(2) I don't think duplicating will work for me anyway. Here's my underlying issue: When I switched to 1Password from SplashID the nice automated program miscategorized many of the items. (Much as I'm grateful that the program exists.) So I need to change the category of many items. I don't think 1Pass let's me do that. If I could see two at once then I could manually enter a new item with the right category.

• Hi @RichardStartz,

Thanks for wring back.

(1) I don't see how to duplicate an item. When I use the context menu I'm offered the chance to copy, but only to another vault--not the current vault. Am I missing something?

There is no duplicate support at the moment in 1Password 6, that's coming in a future update. Are you using a 1Password.com account by any chance? If you are, you can open the 1Password.com web app in Chrome or Firefox and use it next to 1Password 6 app.

So I need to change the category of many items. I don't think 1Pass let's me do that. If I could see two at once then I could manually enter a new item with the right category.

One thing you could try is using our F12 1Password Developer Tools, it shows the raw content of your item. Select an item in 1Password 6 and press F12, it'll open up in a separate window that you can keep around. You can even F12 on multiple items if you want.

• RichardStartz
    RichardStartz
    Community Member

The F12 idea is very helpful. But when I select an item and press F12 nothing happens. I can't find any reference in the knowledge base to F12 or Developer Tools. Am I missing something obvious?

• Hi @RichardStartz,

It may depends on your keyboard, do you have to press the function key before pressing any of F 1-12 keys? Try pressing the function key and F12 key at the same time.

F12 is only meant for diagnostics purpose, so it is not going to be mentioned in any knowledge bases. It should look like this:

• RichardStartz
    RichardStartz
    Community Member

Standard (desktop) keyboard. But my system is just complicated enough that it's more likely something is catching the F12 than that it is a problem with 1Pass.

Let me ask you about a different approach. I know you can export to a .csv. I imagine I could export items I wanted to change and then edit outside and re-import. Is there any documentation for what the .csv file to go into 1Pass should look like?

• MikeT
    edited February 2017

Hi @RichardStartz,

But my system is just complicated enough that it's more likely something is catching the F12 than that it is a problem with 1Pass.

I understand, we'll see if we can figure out a different way to bring that up.

Let me ask you about a different approach. I know you can export to a .csv. I imagine I could export items I wanted to change and then edit outside and re-import. Is there any documentation for what the .csv file to go into 1Pass should look like?

Unfortunately, it will not work like this. 1Password 6 only supports 1PIF for importing, while exporting CSV/text. We have plans to support what we export/import but it is not high on our list right now as we got a long list at the moment trying to implement all of the core features a lot of users have been asking for.

This discussion has been closed.