1Password will not open on my Apple watch

bonaprof
bonaprof
Community Member

I have used 1Password on my Apple laptop, iPad and iPhone for years. I recently bought an Apple watch and would like to synch its 1Passport app with my other. However, when I press the watch app for 1Password all I am told is ""Add items from 1Password on your phone. Requires Apple Watch device pin." and does nothing more, but sit in the watch face. It adds nothing and does not show me where to enter my Apple Watch device pin. Yes, I see others have had the same problem, but the solutions suggested seem like mud to me. Why doesn't it work easier and directly like the other apps on my watch and iPhone?

How do I sync the two?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bonaprof
    bonaprof
    Community Member

Sorry about posting this when there are other ongoing comments about the same problem. I do hope that if you fix it so my 1Password app syncs together on my laptop, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch and can be used on all. Please, as they told me in the Army, Keep It Simple!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bonaprof: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! You can add a device passcode in the Apple Watch app on your iPhone under Passcode. And you can add an item to your Apple Watch by viewing its details in 1Password for iOS:

Add and remove items from your Apple Watch

If you're still having trouble, be sure to let me know what steps you're taking and what you're running up against so I can help! :)

• farmland
    farmland
    Community Member

I have done everything I have been asked including purchasing the $9.95 upgrade and have selected log-ins to transfer to my watch, have entered a passcode on my iPhone, have re-booted both my watch and my iPhone, and I am still left with the watch screen which is totally unresponsive, The icon is there; it says Add items from 1Password on your phone. And also Requires Apple Watch device pin. But tapping the icon or anywhere on the screen does nothing. I have the latest upgrades on my watch and on my phone.

• nadou711
    nadou711
    Community Member

I have an APPLE watch, I followed the instructions you mentioned but nothing is happening. do i have to pay the 9.95 to get it to work? for some reason it keeps rejecting me.
    Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nadou711: Indeed, 1Password for Apple Watch is only available if you're subscribed to the 1Password.com service, or have purchased the Pro Features individually in 1Password for iOS. If not, it will not be available on your device. Let me know if you have any other questions!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@farmland: You mentioned adding a passcode, but did you set one for your Apple Watch, or are you referring to a phone passcode? If you're still having trouble, please let me know the exact iOS, watchOS, device, and 1Password versions you're using. Thanks in advance!

• farmland
    farmland
    Community Member

Brenty: Thanks for your help. First of all, I have purchased Pro Features and the green price button shows "purchased". Apple watch version is 3.1; I have a watch password; IOS 10.2; iPhone 6; watch is the new model 2 and model no. is MNYX2B/A; 1PASSWORD VERSION 6.6 BETA2. Phone and watch are on the same apple id. And just as a reminder, the 1Password icon shows on the watch and when you tap it [select it] it brings up the 1Password screen with the icon and the message is: add items from 1 Password on your phone and requires Apple watch device pin. Tapping anywhere on the screen has no effect. I have selected 20 items which show up on the organize tab on my iPhone under Apple watch but not on my watch.

• Djudjo
    Djudjo
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    I'm trying to open my 1Password on my Apple Watch. After selecting an item, I don't have the option "ADD ITEM TO APPLE WATCH".
    Can you help?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

@farmland: Thanks for getting back to me! Please do the following:

1. Connect both the Apple Watch and iPhone to power
    2. Open the Watch app on your iPhone, scroll down to 1Password, and set Show on Apple Watch to the off position
    3. Open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Apple Watch and set Enable Apple Watch to the off position
    4. Wait for it to stop saying "Uninstalling..." (this may never happen, but give it 5 minutes and then move on)
    5. View the apps on your actual Watch and if it is gone (in some cases, even those that completed "Uninstalling..." still show up)
    6. If it's still shown there, hold your finger on it and then tap the (x) (this may not work either)*
    7. Regardless, hold the pill-shaped Side Button on the Watch and Power Off (you'll need to disconnect the power temporarily to do this)
    8. Then, after backing up any local vaults and ensuring you know the Master Password, uninstall 1Password from the iPhone, hold the iPhone's Lock Button, and Slide to Power Off
    9. Power on both the Apple Watch and iPhone
    10. Verify that 1Password is not shown on the Apple Watch and that this is reflected in the Watch app on the iPhone as well (if not, go back to the beginning)
    11. In 1Password on the iPhone, set Enable Apple Watch to on
    12. In Watch on the iPhone, go to 1Password and set Show on Apple Watch to on
    13. Wait for the app to finish Installing...
    14. Add a new item to Apple Watch by toggling the option in its details.

*Others have found that reinstalling 1Password for iOS and restarting the iPhone (hold Wake/Sleep and Home) helps, but be sure to backup your data first if you're not using a 1Password.com Account.

Let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

Edit: Updated with some changes based on feedback from 2RESE.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Djudjo: As I mentioned above, 1Password for Apple Watch is only available if you're subscribed to the 1Password.com service, or have purchased the Pro Features individually in 1Password for iOS. If not, you will not have the option to Add to Apple Watch in supported item types. I hope this helps!

• farmland
    farmland
    Community Member

Brenty: It worked. Nothing showed until I added a new item then the 20 previous items I had added also showed. Thanks for your help. The solution sounded complicated but of course is not. You just un-select 1Password on both devices, reboot both devices and re-select, then add a new item. Your explanation is better since it is more detailed. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@farmland: Awesome! Thank you for confirming! We're working to track down what's causing that. And I do apologize for the inconvenience and that wall of text. Certainly not complicated, but none of this should be necessary and I did want to be thorough. We'll improve this so neither is necessary in the future. :blush:

• Djudjo
    Djudjo
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    I bought the Pro Features and my Apple Watch still has the message: add items from 1 Password on your phone and requires Apple watch device pin. I did all of the 14 steps of your solution recipe above ..... and nothing happens. Still the same message .... requires Apple Watch device PIN.

• Sleepy
    Sleepy
    Community Member

Hello. Now i too buy Pro Features and i did all steps - but no have change on my watch - requires Apple Watch device PIN.

• jpsquirino
    jpsquirino
    Community Member

I solved by putting an access password in my apple watch in settings, without the password the app does not open

• Sleepy
    Sleepy
    Community Member

I have password in my watch(without password don't work any credit cards) but 1password not working

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

Hey everyone. I'm one of the developers of the new watch app. We're currently working on a fix for the sync issues you've all been having. I'll try to post and update here when we have an idea on the timeline for the release. It's a complex issue that seems to be manifesting itself slightly differently for different users. Some people are successfully able to work around the issue with the steps Brenty posted above, others are not. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and hopefully we can get this fixed ASAP.

Happy holidays, all!

• +1 from me on this.
    I have Apple Watch 42mm aluminum running WatchOS 3.1.3 and iPhone 6S+ running iOS 10.2.1. In the initial setup I gave my Apple Watch a longer passcode (not the simple passcode). I have charged the Apple Watch all the way, and followed the 14 steps given in this discussion. The Apple Watch 1Password app still reads "Add items from 1Password on your phone. Requires Apple Watch device pin." I hope by commenting here I will get updates when the fix is posted. Until then I am able to use 1Password on the iPhone, iPad, and iMac but not on the Apple Watch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chazzunokuthunuchtec: Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry that didn't work for you, but we can absolutely let you know when a new version is available. :)

• By the way, just the passcode for the Apple Watch is all that is needed, correct? I've read through this but it's unclear whether it expects me to set up a separate passcode just for the 1Password app in addition to the passcode that unlocks the watch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chazzunokuthunuchtec: Correct. 1Password just requires that you have a passcode set on the Apple Watch itself. Hope that clears that up at least!

• tolgao
    tolgao
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

I have the exact same issue. I have iOS 10.2.1 on my iPhone 6. I have watchOS 3.1.3 on my Apple watch series 2.I followed all 14 steps, but I still keep getting the message: "Add items from 1Password on your phone. Requires Apple Watch device pin." Any help will be appreciated.

• garbsen
    garbsen
    Community Member

Hi
    Just to let you know, I had the same connection issues. Followed the instruction above and now it does work.
    However may be for interest for you to track down the issue, I do have this connection issue with many other apps as well, so for me it looks like a watchOS issue and nothing on your side.
    Hopefully Apple fixes that soon

• 2RESE
    2RESE
    Community Member

@tolgao My watch didn't work with the above settings either until I completely un-installed the 1Password app from my iPhone and reinstalled. So basically follow the above steps but after step 7, before you shut down the iPhone, uninstall the app from the phone. Once everything is powered back up, reinstall the app to the phone, which automatically should install on the watch. Then proceed to #11 (from above). In my case, it still showed the "add items/requires pin" error (on the watch) for about 30 seconds, but when I looked at it again all of the passwords I had tagged for apple watch appeared as they did before the ios10 update. Every once and awhile it will show that error, but then they quickly show up. I think its a sync thing. Hope that helps! The key for me was deleting the app from the phone and reinstalling. I tried everything else numerous times. Just make sure you have your master pass code for iPassword, because you will need it after re-installing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

I do have this connection issue with many other apps as well, so for me it looks like a watchOS issue and nothing on your side.

@garbsen: Based on my own experience, I think you may be right, but unfortunately that doesn't make it any less of a problem for 1Password users. We'll see if there's anything we can do to get 1Password to be more resilient here. :blush:

@tolgao: Indeed, please try my steps above, but as "step 7a" uninstall 1Password from your iPhone (after backing up your data) and let me know if that helps.

@2RESE: Thank you! It sounds like that's what you're describing, and I can update my instructions above to reflect that. Does that seem sufficient, or were there any other differences you observed?

• tolgao
    tolgao
    Community Member

@2RESE: Thanks a lot. After I uninstalled 1Password on my iPhone, and reinstalled it, and following @brenty's 14 steps, 1Password on my Apple Watch is working for the first time. Thank you @brenty for your detailed instructions. Is there anyway to increase the font sizes on Apple Watch 1Password app ? They are too small.

• 2RESE
    2RESE
    Community Member

@brenty I think if you add the step of uninstalling the app from the iPhone, it should be good. I was nervous to delete the app because I have not had to re-enter any of my sign on information for 1Password in a few years, so I wasn't positive I would have the correct information. So I think if you mention that users will need to know their master pass code when signing back in, hopefully they won't have any surprises.
    @tolago I'm happy it worked for you too! I truly can't function without 1Password at least a few times a day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

@2RESE: Great! I've made that change and a few other tweaks so that it hopefully is a bit clearer too in the middle there. Thanks again! :)

Apple Watch troubleshooting (updated)

• Sleepy
    Sleepy
    Community Member

@brenty: Hello. I try to resolve problem with new guide - unfortunately no changes - i see only ""Add items from 1Password on your phone. Requires Apple Watch device pin." on my watch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sleepy: Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear that. Not much information to go on so far, but we'll see what we can come up with. Have you added any 1Password items to Apple Watch on your iPhone? Have you tried adding another? Do you have a device passcode set on your watch? What type of item and vault are you using? Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.