1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini [Fixed in version 6.5.5]

Options

Comments

• pat.jenkins
    pat.jenkins
    Community Member
    Options

It shows the Diagnostic Utility being for version 5. Does it work with version 6? Would rather not try to go deeper after unsuccessful reset of permissions and reinstall.

• xoldy
    xoldy
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue tonight. I've MACOS 10.12.3 version and 1password 6.5.3.

• Hi guys,

We're investigating the issue and will reply ASAP. This is not related to the other issue that the support guide is talking about, this is a new one for us.

• xoldy
    xoldy
    Community Member
    Options

+1, MACOS 10.12.3 and 1password6.5.3

• xoldy
    xoldy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! We're waiting for.

• nle
    nle
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I think I might have a (temporary) fix.

Set the date back one day, launch 1Password. It now should work (at least for me). The good thing is that it works even after setting the date back to "auto" (could just be until next reboot). But then I guess you could do the "date trick" again.

• chongo
    chongo
    Community Member
    Options

A twitter search for "1Password mimi" turns up multiple messages of others with the same problem.

One interesting tweet:

suggests there MIGHT be an expired certificate which might explain why a number of us starting seeing this problem at the same time.
  • kmassey545
    kmassey545
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like we got their attention. :)

• mumblingsages
    mumblingsages
    Community Member
    Options

@nle that smells of an expired certificate.....

• nle
    nle
    Community Member
    Options

@mumblingsages Indeed. That's what I thought since we all apparently got the same error at once.

• chongo
    chongo
    Community Member
    Options

I appears that @1Password on twitter has noticed this issue. See:

• ajperez56
    ajperez56
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm the date change workaround @nle suggested.

• stevegster
    stevegster
    Community Member
    Options

TEMP FIX WORKED FOR ME: Set your date back manually by a day. Works fine now. Expired certificate????

• stevegster
    stevegster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to @nle!

• chongo
    chongo
    Community Member
    Options

We can confirm that when we moved the date back 1 day and rebooted, we do not see the 1Password mini problem. But as you pass the fateful time, the 1Password mini bug reappears.

• subotic
    subotic
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the "date change workaround" @nle. It worked for me. Now I finally managed to log in to the forum.

• nle
    nle
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

The bug does not reappear as long as you use the date trick to get 1Password Mini running. After that the main 1Password.app starts fine even with the date set back to normal.

• nle
    nle
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

@subotic Happy to help! :)

Remember that when all else fails, you can access your vault via your browser. Right click on your 1Password vault --> Show Package Contents --> Open the "1Password.html" in Safari (does not work in Chrome – not sure about other browsers)

• calivw78
    calivw78
    Community Member
    Options

Can confirm the data change worked here as well. 1Password continues working after setting the Date/Time back to Auto, but I suspect something is cached somewhere. On reboot the issue reappears.

• chongo
    chongo
    Community Member
    Options

The 1Password folk just tweeted to me: "Another workaround is to use this version until I get a fix out:

https://t.co/BLFXm2WnLI

We are testing that fix now.

• jamikbowes42
    jamikbowes42
    Community Member
    Options

Agile bits just posted this:

February 18, 2017 5:30 PM EST:
    We’re currently investigating an issue preventing some users from opening 1Password for Mac, receiving a “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini” error. Our team is working on it and we will provide an update as soon as possible. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

• chongo
    chongo
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I can confirm that the fix suggested by @1Password works. We:

1) uninstalled 1Password
    2) rebooted
    3) installed https://t.co/BLFXm2WnLI

• chongo
    chongo
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

We can confirm that the fix suggested by @1Password works.
    To fix the above mentioned 1Password mini bug:

1) uninstall 1Password
    2) reboot
    3) install this version of 1Password: https://t.co/BLFXm2WnLI

• EduardoBautista
    EduardoBautista
    Community Member
    Options

A tweet is is now suggesting to install 6.3.5:

• francoiscarrier
    francoiscarrier
    Community Member
    Options

*****URGENT***** Same problem over here in Montréal : "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini". I reinstalled everything and it doesn't work. Please do something about it as we all need to access our Passwords several times during one day. *****URGENT*****

• cage123au
    cage123au
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Setting the date back a couple of days worked for me. Hope a fix is in soon. I have some very complicated passwords. Might do a printout why I have the chance.

Update - Using the link from the Twitter above - https://t.co/BLFXm2WnLI allowed me to now gain access. I have also unchecked auto updates until resolved. Set clock back to local time. Works fine on this version.

• GeniusRedacted
    GeniusRedacted
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. Two different licenses on two different Macs.

• nwikner
    nwikner
    Community Member
    Options

I followed The Instructions in the link above. When I entered the line in Terminal and executed it, this is what I got:
    Lela-Laptop:~ norman$ xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine '/Applications/1Password 6.app'
    xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/1Password 6.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources'
    < 2084 more lines like the above >
    Lela-Laptop:~ norman$
    Prefixing the line with sudo and entering my password executed without errors; but 1P Still gives the "Can't connect to 1P Mini" error.
    A search on "1P" in Activity monitor shows no process containing that string is running.
    Now What? I can't open or use 1P and the keyboard shortcuts don't do anything.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OSX 10.12.3
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:https://support.1password.com/error-connect-to-mini/

• richardripley
    richardripley
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I too have had the problem and 6.3.5 seems to be fine. Sorry that this happened over the weekend to the fine AgileBits folks and I hope they get the problem solved easily!

• juanra
    juanra
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I have the same problem. Already sent the diagnostics. Good thing I'd kept the other password manager...old faithful...
    Took me a while to get into the forums...the site would not take my password, so I had to reset it...So I can't use 1Password and for a little while couldn't get into the forums either.
    I am running macOS Sierra 10.12.3, and 1Password 6.5.3.

This discussion has been closed.