Password sync problems over multiple devices

wdahnert
wdahnert
Community Member

All our devices had the same 8-digit password before my wife, as the main account holder, switched over to the Family Trial.
All prior 8-digit passwords still work on all the devices (1 MacBook Pro, 2 iPhones, 1 iPad).
Then my wife tried to alter her original sign-in password for the trial on her MacBook Pro to have the same 8 digits like everyone else. But the program would only accept a change to a 10-digit password.
So, now we have this peculiar situation on the same MacBook Pro: (1) under her username she gains access to 1Password with a 10-digit password (2) while I using under my username can still use the old 8-digit password.

I understand that it could be a potential disaster for family members to have the account holder change the master password without notifying everybody of the change. But, why isn't everyone forced to use a new 10-digit password to access the program?
How can my wife return to the old 8-digit password?
Is there perhaps a connection to Keychain Access?
How can each family member chose their very own password independently if they think it might be compromised?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Family account

Comments

• Hi @wdahnert - Thank you for reaching out to us. Sorry for the password confusion and I'll do my best to help out. The original password is tied to your standalone license / Primary vault. Once you have migrated all your data over to the Families account, you can delete your Primary vault and your password will revert to the new one that is connected to the Families account. With our new 1Password.com accounts, the master password has to be at least 10 characters in length.

When you sign up for 1Password Families, each user is given their own unique account key and a chance to create their own master password. You shouldn't share your account key or master password with anyone. This is only for you. If someone changes their master password this wouldn't affect your account only the member that changed their password. There is no way to return to the 8 character password. We increased the minimum character requirement for better security.

Each member of the Families account, can log in using their own account key and master password. Once logged into the account, click on the Families account name in the upper right hand side > Select "My Profile" from the drop down menu > At the top of the page, click on the blue edit icon next to your Master Password to change it -

https://support.1password.com/change-master-password/#if-you-have-a-1password-account

Sorry for the confusion and I hope this helped. Let us know if you have any further questions. Have a great day!

• wdahnert
    wdahnert
    Community Member

This is the most obscure program I have ever used. My iPhone password still uses my old 8-digit password and ignored my attempt to change it, although I am happy to report that the new Password now works on my iPad.
    The following image shows all the devices that I have tried to add:
    However, now I have a holy mess in my vaults. It seems to me that my family trial is trying to also give me a single account, based on my iPhone
    and also on my my iPad!

I am worried that I am about to lose all my items if I continue to try to consolidate all of them into one family account.

• Hi @wdahnert,

Thanks for including those screenshots. That explains what's going on. Your iPhone is unlocking with the password to your Primary vault. If you were to remove both the Demo vault and the Primary vault, the iPhone app would then use your Dahnerts account password to unlock the app.

When there's a Primary vault on a device, the app will unlock via the Primary vault's password as opposed to the account password. When no Primary vault is on the device, the app will unlock using the first account's password.

I really wish that this stuff was made clearer.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• wdahnert
    wdahnert
    Community Member

This was very helpful and worked for me. Thank you Rick!
    It wasn't obvious to me that the family account ranks lower in 1password's hierarchy compared to a primary account which was already on the device.
    Also, after I signed on for a family trial I was under the assumption that the older primary vault would be replaced or migrated to the family vault.
    Most importantly, all edits have to be made by the primary family organizer. The secondary family organizer doesn't seem to have the same privileges as the primary family organizer.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

@wdahnert - On behalf of Rick, you're welcome! If you need anything else, just let us know. We're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.