Prioritizing favorites and exact title matches in search results

diego898
diego898
Community Member

I have a login item whos name is "ZFHG". It is marked as a favorite. However, when I open 1password and immediately begin typing "ZFHG", it returns to me all entries with emails myemail@zfhg.edu, alphabetically ordered by title, meaning the entry I actually want is at the bottom.

It seems to me that the entry whos 1. title exactly matches and is 2. marked a favorite should somehow should up first.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

@diego898: It sounds like you've actually selected the "Search All Fields" option under the magnifying glass:

When 1Password searches, it doesn't discriminate with regard to the results, so you'll get whatever your search term and settings dictate. But "Search Major Fields" is the default, and it sounds like that's the behaviour you actually want, so give that a try. I hope this helps! :)

• diego898
    diego898
    Community Member

I still have Search Major Fields selected - I still see this behavior under search major fields

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @diego898,

Is the "@zfhg.edu" email address in the username field of those items? The username is a 'major' field, so that's why those items are still showing up in the search results. Sorry if we misunderstood what you meant about that!

By default, search results are sorted by Title. If you'd like, you can change the sort order (click on the current sorting option right below the 'Search' field to see the choices). There's no option to sort the search results by Favorites, but in the example from your first post, you could select 'Alphabetically Reversed' to see the "ZFHG" item at the top of the list.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that! :)

• diego898
    diego898
    Community Member

Thank you for your answer. Yes the "@zfhg.edu" email is in the username.

I would like to suggest a feature - that search results are prioritized by favorites and/or 'exact' title matches in search results. This seems to make the most sense to me.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion, @diego898! I don't think it's something our developers are planning to do right now, but perhaps it's something they'll consider in the future (although of course I can't make any promises one way or the other). I can certainly see how that might be helpful for you.

We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@diego898: Sorry for misunderstanding! You can actually do this already. Just select Search Options and change it to search Favorites using your email address:

We can certainly consider adding additional search options in the future though. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.