Unable to add github 2FA to Mac app

Options
toidiu
toidiu
Community Member

I am able to add other QR codes/2FA but not github (tested with Google, Name.com). I took a look at the following post which seemed similar but not the same. I am using 1Password 6 on Mac.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/37425/cant-add-github-totp

1Password Version: 1Password 6
Extension Version: Version 6.5.5 (655000) AgileBits Store
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: local

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

@toidiu: I've actually been using TOTP in 1Password for my GitHub login for a while now, so I'm not sure where you'd be running into trouble. Perhaps they've changed something on their site. Can you elaborate on what isn't working exactly? You might also try simply adding the TOTP secret (also referenced in the discussion you linked to) to your login item instead of using the QR code. I know I've encountered malformed QR codes with other sites in the past. Let me know what you find!

• toidiu
    toidiu
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

I tried again and it worked.. Initially the QR reader on the Mac app simply wouldn't recognize the QR code. This is good but I don't know how that makes me feel since I don't know what changed.

I wonder if there is any sort of debug info available when things go wrong. Seems like the solution when things go wrong is to simply restart laptop/app or re-istall app.

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad to hear it's working now! I don't know what would have caused the problem in the first place, but hopefully it works correctly from now on. But if for some reason you run into that again, please let us know and we'll be happy to take a further look. Cheers! :)

• Aaron Gibralter
    Aaron Gibralter
    Community Member
    Options

Not working for me with godaddy.com using:

1Password 6
    Version 6.6.1.BETA-4 (661004)
    AgileBits Beta

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Aaron Gibralter: Can you elaborate on "not working"? Are you receiving some sort of error? I didn't actually realize that GoDaddy offered TOTP, but I just went and added it for my own account in what was surprisingly few steps. Be sure to let me know the exact steps you're taking and where you're running into trouble. You can also check the QR code at http://www.qrstuff.com to see if it's valid in the first place. Let me know what you find!

• Aaron Gibralter
    Aaron Gibralter
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty In previous versions of 1Password, it would immediately recognize the QR code when moving the transparent 1Password window over the code. Now, I move the window over the code and nothing happens. I have to use 1Password on my iPhone to add TOTPs...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

@Aaron Gibralter: It sounds like something is going on on your Mac that's preventing 1Password from actually seeing the image (1), or the QR code in the image itself is invalid (2), because it's working here with 6.6.1.BETA-4.

1Password's QR code scanner has three states:

1) No QR code found (blue):

2) Invalid QR code found (red):

3) QR code acquired (briefly appears green, then window disappears and secret is added to 1Password).

Can you tell me what's happening in your case? It may be worth a shot to try a different QR code, or restart your Mac, but we've seen cases where 3rd party software completely blocked 1Password from reading any QR codes.

• Aaron Gibralter
    Aaron Gibralter
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I just tried again with GoDaddy and it works... I did update to:

1Password 6
    Version 6.6.1 (661010)
    AgileBits Store

So... maybe it was a bug in that specific version? Sorry that I can't be of more help now!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad to hear it's working correctly for you now! I don't know what was causing the problem before, but hopefully it continues to work from now on. If you run into more issues or have any questions, we're here for you. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.