Importing process is difficult on Windows / Web

deviantintegral
deviantintegral
Community Member

I ran into quite a few issues trying to migrate a Keepass 2 vault:

• When importing a CSV, there wasn't any preview or mapping option. It was just uploaded directly and hundreds of (wrong) items were created. It'd be great if it at least showed a preview.
  • I couldn't see any way to reset the vault and delete all items in the web UI. There doesn't look to be a way to select more than one item in the web UI. I ended up installing the Windows app just so I could try importing again.
  • When I first tried to delete everything, the Windows app kind of fell apart, showing a completely blank UI. I had to restart it entirely and do the delete again (which worked).
  • Trying to run an import again, after correcting the CSV column order, I got an opaque "Incorrect Version Sent" error message. Then, I reloaded the page (thinking it might just be a temporary thing), and I'm now stuck waiting for my wife to put in her master password :)

As an aside, it might make more sense to have a "1Password.com" forum, separate from Families and Teams. I imagine all of this functionality is identical, and I hate to see it siloed in one forum category!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @deviantintegral - Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to 1Password :-)

Sorry, we're working to improve our migration experience and your feedback is very much appreciated.

Did you give our utility a test drive -

We appreciate the constructive feedback in regards to the forum categories. I will make sure to mention this to my team, you can find of the information by searching via keyword but I can understand where you're coming from - it's a great suggestion.

Let us know if you have any additional questions, we're always happy to help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2017

@deviantintegral ,

You will get much better results if you use the keepass2 converter in the converter suite. You will export an XML file from Keepass 2, instead of CSV, since it has much more information.

Use the 1.10 version in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the thread. I'm happy to help you as much as you need. The conversion takes just seconds (if you are on Windows, the onetime tool suite setup takes just a few minutes, since Windows doesn't provide the necessary tools natively).

If you are no longer able to export from Keepass 2 (to XML), there is also a csv converter which is much more capable than the native 1Password importer.

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member

@MrC already found your converter last night, and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

@Frank , I didn't see the Agile utility at all. It'd be great to link to it from https://support.1password.com/create-csv-files/. Hope to see those integrated into the app proper.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@deviantintegral ,

You're very welcome - good to hear of your results. Enjoy 1Password!

• Great to see that this worked for you. MrC is awesome.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.