[feedback] First time setup process is a little janky

deviantintegral
deviantintegral
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm trialing a Families account, and my wife is a Windows user so a great UX there is going to make-or-break keeping the service. Two things so far during the initial setup:

1. When I go to put in the account key, there's no placeholder dashes visible. It's much harder to read!
  2. On a successful login, I saw the initial screen with the 1Password.com and Dropbox buttons. I thought I'd clicked back by mistake, but as I was putting in credentials again the entire screen redrew and showed my vault.
  3. As well, the 1Password 4 installation was left as is and was still used by the browser extension. I figured out to uninstall it, but something there could have been made a little more turnkey.

Also, is the forum title stale, or is the app actually still a beta candidate?

1Password Version: 1Password 6.3.359d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member

Actually, I see a separate forum, so perhaps the link in the app menu is what's wrong.

• Hi @deviantintegral,

Thanks for writing in.

When I go to put in the account key, there's no placeholder dashes visible. It's much harder to read!

Just to be clear, you do see the dashes from the web site and/or emergency kit, right? We do print them with dashes automatically but we don't modify anything in the sign-in fields. I'm not sure we'll do this but we'll look into it.

If you've already signed into the 1Password.com web app, you can go to the account name on top right to select Get the Apps, there will be a barcode on this page. You can drag the barcode into the 1Password 6's window and it'll fill in your account sign-in address, account key, and email address, leaving you the master password to type in.

On a successful login, I saw the initial screen with the 1Password.com and Dropbox buttons. I thought I'd clicked back by mistake, but as I was putting in credentials again the entire screen redrew and showed my vault.

This will be improved in a future update, the sign-in page was supposed to stay with a progress bar showing the download and once it is done, it'll redraw but certain conditions can cause it to disappear too quickly.

As well, the 1Password 4 installation was left as is and was still used by the browser extension. I figured out to uninstall it, but something there could have been made a little more turnkey.

1Password 6 isn't yet an upgrade to 1Password 4, we can't remove it because there are folks that need full local vault support, which 1Password 6 does not yet provide. However, we definitely could do a better job of explaining how to switch the browser extension to use 1Password 6, which is either uninstall 1Password 4 or shut down 1Password 4's Helper with this trick.

Once 1Password 6 has full local vault, we'll look into uninstalling 1Password 4 automatically and clean up.

Actually, I see a separate forum, so perhaps the link in the app menu is what's wrong.

You are correct, the menu option for the discussions forum is taking you to the beta forum. We'll fix that.

Thanks for letting us know!

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member

Just to be clear, you do see the dashes from the web site and/or emergency kit, right?

Yes, I do - it's just when manually typing it in, it's hard to visually match up with the dashes in the emergency kit with what's on screen.

You can drag the barcode into the 1Password 6's window and it'll fill in your account sign-in address, account key, and email address, leaving you the master password to type in.

Woah, that's a nice feature! I don't think it was obvious I could do that from the Windows app, it'd be great to call it out.

• @deviantintegral as an alternative to drag & drop you can also screenshot your web page with QR code (barcode) and simply press Ctrl+O in 1Password, it will be smart enough to find image in your clipboard and fill boring details for you :)

This discussion has been closed.