Installing in Linux

This old thread discusses installing 1Password on a Linux desktop using Wine. It involves running an EXE. It appears the Windows version of 1Password available on the downloads page is only in MSI format. I tried running this using Wine (with Mono and Gecko installed) and it errors with "Bad EXE format."

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I might use 1Password on Linux using this MSI. Alternately, is there an EXE available to download of the current version somewhere?

(I'm deploying the Teams product across my company and we have some Ubuntu-only users.)

AgileBits Update, 6-Jul-2017:

Hello everyone! We've started beta testing a new addition to our 1Password family: a brand new Chrome extension made especially for our Linux and Chrome OS users! To learn about how you can be invited to this private beta testing, please see this announcement:

A Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users

Cheers! :smile:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @dtemp_jg : those old threads would be referring to 1Password 4, which does not have support for 1Password Teams. I've not heard of anyone managing to get 1Password 6 running on Linux with wine.

Unfortunately the only answer for linux users at the moment is to use it via the browser and copy/paste. We'd like to do better there, but we don't have the cycles right now to develop a native client for Linux.

Rick

• Thanks for the response Rick. At the moment I'm not expecting a "native Linux client" but it would be nice to get the existing Windows client in EXE form. I'm wondering if I installed it on a Windows VM if I'd be able to pluck out the EXE and make it work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

@dtemp_jg: We don't have an exe distribution for 1Password 6, but we likely will in a future release. However, it's important to note that the real barrier to 1Password 6 running under Wine will likely be .Net support. We're using Microsoft's latest tools to build the new app, and it requires .Net 4.6.1 or later. If there's a way to get around this, we're not aware of it. So while 1Password 4 runs under Wine on Linux, that isn't something that 1Password 6 can do at this time, and our priority is to make sure it runs well on Windows and get it to feature parity with 1Password for Mac. The 1Password.com web interface is the best option on Linux for the foreseeable future.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@dtemp_jg: I see that you've been a passionate advocate for a better way to use 1Password on Linux, so I wanted to see if you might be interested in lending a hand to help make your dreams a reality.

I am delighted to report that we have a present for you and fellow 1Password.com account members. We're still in very early stages of private alpha testing so I can't share any screenshots or anything like that just yet, but I can tell you that we have something awesome coming and if you'd like you can join our alpha team.

This isn't going to be for everyone (at least not yet), but if you love being on the bleeding edge, please email us at linux@1password.com and include your forum username as well as your email you are using with your 1Password Membership and we'll get invite you to the private alpha.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• kutenai_id
    kutenai_id
    Community Member

Dude... are you implying that a linux client IS coming?? Just say it!!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If he says that, he might have to go away, and that would be a shame. ;)

• thebigbopper
    thebigbopper
    Community Member

What do we need to do as users to help entice agilebits to develop us a linux client?

• @thebigbopper : We have 1Password X and our CLI tool which both work in Linux, and both are becoming more full featured. I'd love to know what you're trying to accomplish that these don't work for.

Rick

• thebigbopper
    thebigbopper
    Community Member

@rickfillion I didn't know about X. This solves my issue. Super stoked to learn about it. I am new to linux as a desktop OS.
    Thanks
    TheBigB

• @thebigbopper: 1Password X is the new kid on the block, so it looks like you had perfect timing. Hope you love it and be sure to come back and let us know what you think. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, we're petty excited about 1Password X ourselves, and we're just getting started there. :)

• geneliverman
    geneliverman
    Community Member

I too am interested in a Linux client... I saw above that your Windows one is done on .NET... have you looked at using .NET Core (https://github.com/dotnet/core)? Also, as a fix for all the different Linux distros, have you thought about maybe using Flatpak (https://flatpak.org/)? X is certainly better than nothing but not having Firefox support or support for multiple accounts is really disappointing coming from using 1password on Mac. Thanks for all you do! For what its worth, I am using Teams at work and the Family version at home.

• X is certainly better than nothing but not having Firefox support or support for multiple accounts is really disappointing coming from using 1password on Mac.

Firefox support is something we'd love to provide as well. It's my understanding that the extension APIs in Chrome vs Firefox are relatively similar. There are only so many hours in a day though, so we've started by focusing on Chrome.

1Password X does support multiple accounts though. Heck there was a version of it that was downright aggressive about it and would sign in to any account whose credentials it would find in vaults of added accounts. That feature is gone (it was cool on many levels, but as a user it always made me a little uneasy), but it's still possible to add multiple accounts. When you sign in to a 1Password.com account, it should ask you if you'd like to add it to 1Password X. If that's not happening, that sounds like a bug that we should look into.

Rick

• dmitryb
    dmitryb
    Community Member

Do you guys have any plans for supporting local volts with dropbox synchronisation on Linux?
    As convenient 1P.com accounts might be I belive there are still many of us out there who would rather use local volts. And it would be great if you don't forget about us, as we also love using 1P products.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dmitryb: Not at this time. We don't have a native Linux app. But we do have great apps for many other platforms, and Linux support is available as part of a 1Password.com membership, in the form of 1Password.com, 1Password X, and the CLI app.

• Hi everyone.

I'm very excited to announce that there has been progress on this request. You can read more here:

1Password for Linux development preview

We'd love to hear from you over in our new Linux Development Preview forum category. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.