To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Email requesting to update 1password MAC version manually

sandrafurter
sandrafurter
Community Member

Hi 1password Team
I received an email today from Dave Teare (agile bits) with the instruction to manually update my MAC 1password version. Is this genuine? I have pasted it in below for your verification.
Kind regards
Sandra

Hello,

Over the weekend we encountered a perfect storm that caused macOS to prevent 1Password for Mac from launching.

Your 1Password data was in no way affected and remained safe. This issue was addressed in version 6.5.5.

If you downloaded and installed 1Password 6 for Mac from our website, you need to manually update to the latest version by following these steps:

How to update so you can fix and avoid this problem

If you purchased from the Mac App Store you are not affected and don't need to do anything. You can read this guide to learn whether you are using the Mac App Store or website version.

Be sure to follow the upgrade steps even if 1Password is running fine. The issue will eventually appear, so it’s best to update right away.

Once you have finished upgrading, we have two blog posts about this issue that I think you will enjoy. We have the human side of the holiday weekend heroics my team took to resolve this issue in the first 6 hours, as well as the technical details behind this perfect storm.

I'm sorry for any confusion this caused and for requiring you to upgrade manually. And I am sorry for needing to add another email to your inbox — I know how busy you are.

Take care,

Cheers! - Dave Teare, Founder of AgileBits

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Yes, it's genuine. Though doubtless you would prefer to have a response from an AgileBits staff member. See various discussions on the forums recently or the AgileBits blog.

With emails like that (including offers for reduced pricing from a developer) the crucial thing is not to click links in the email but to go the web site manually, though if you hover over a link you should see the address and can check if it is genuine.

• Hi @sandrafurter - Yes, the email did come from us :-) Thank you for checking and @danco points out some great security tips!

You can read a little more about how to resolve the Mini issue here - https://support.1password.com/error-connect-to-mini/

Let us know if you have any further questions and thank you for the help @danco :+1:

• sandrafurter
    sandrafurter
    Community Member

Thanks both Frank and danco for the confirmation and the good tips.

• Anytime, we're always happy to help out :-) Thank you for checking with us first :+1:

This discussion has been closed.