To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Why do I have to alway enter my account key manually when accessing 1password from the web?

Options
Deb0516
Deb0516
Community Member

I just recently became a 1password user. I've been entering all of my usernames and passwords and data (updating and making stronger) over the past few days. This is being done via the web. Everyday I log in it asks me for my email, account key and password. Is there anyway that my Mac will remember my account key? It is easier for me to change and enter my data from the web versus the 1password app or the from the download icon on my mac. I will be going to Florida to help my mother enter her data into a vault we are setting up for her. I want to be sure she doesn't have to remember her account key or have to find her emergency kit to enter data from the web. I must be doing something wrong!
Thanks for you assistance.

1Password Version: 6.5.5
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Why do I have to alway enter my account key manually when accessing 1password from the web?

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

First, make sure you haven't checked the field This is a public or shared computer on the sign-in page:

Second, is your browser for some reason set up to clear cookies when exiting? Or are you using incognito mode or private browsing?

Those are the only explanations I can think of.

Btw, is there any reason why you don't want to use the 1Password application on your Mac? I think you will find it much easier to enter your data that way.

• lindan
    lindan
    Community Member
    Options

What is this? You seriously expect people to enter 1Password master key? Why should you want that anyway?

• Frank
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @Deb0516 - Thank you for contacting us. @pervel pretty much nailed it! Make sure the box is unchecked for "public or shared computer". Also if you have enabled private browsing or incognito mode, the Account Key won't be cached. If you have your browser settings set to delete your browsing history this will also cause you to have to renter your Account Key.

To be honest, I rarely use the web app. Most of the work I do is done from our apps such as adding new items or making changes. I would recommend downloading one of our apps for Mac or Windows for your Mom to use. Once you invite her over to the account, download one of our apps then sign her in using her account login details. She will only have to enter her Master Password to unlock the app. I hope this helps and I think it's fantastic that you're setting your Mom up with 1Password. Kudos to you :-) Keep us posted if you have any further questions. Safe travels!

Thank you again @pervel :+1:

• Hi @lindan - Great question. With our new 1Password accounts, we offer three layers of security to protect your data. The Account Key is unique and randomized during the sign up process. The Account Key is used to encrypt your data in conjunction with your Master Password. You can read more about the Account Key here - https://support.1password.com/account-key-security/

Thanks for asking and enjoy the rest of your day!

• lindan
    lindan
    Community Member
    Options

@Frank - I wasn't aware of the new 1Password subscription accounts. I have a standalone licence so I guess there's no need for me to have an account. I just came across the graphic above whilst looking for a download of the new version of the macOS app and I wondered why you were asking anyone to allow their master password to be transmitted anywhere..

• Frank
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @lindan - Great question. I'll be more than happy to explain how we secure your data with our new 1Password accounts -

There are three umbrellas of security with our 1Password.com accounts. Before all of them is your Master Password and Account Key. In the standalone version of 1Password, everything is protected by your Master Password and all the security wizardry in the app. But in Teams, the Account Key is used to strengthen things even further. If you have a weak password, it's very unlikely someone will be able to access your data because the Account Key is a 128-bit string of characters that's generated locally when you set up your account. It never leaves your device, and we ask that you print it out to have a copy in case you need it later — you're probably not going to remember the whole thing. ;)

It’s great to have a Master Password and Account Key protect your data, but they also need to communicate with the server to access your data, so we use three layers to protect things at rest and in transit. The first layer is based on your Master Password and Account key, which are used to derive a secret that is used to securely encrypt all of your data, both at rest and in transit between your devices and our servers. The second layer is based on the Secure Remote Password protocol. It allows your devices and our servers to make sure they are who they say they are. This provides an additional layer of protection against attack. The third and final layer is the standard TLS/SSL protocol. This layer provides a final layer of encryption and also allows your web browser to indicate that you were communicating directly with a 1Password web server. If you'd like to learn more about the security of 1Password, head to https://1password.com/security.

You're welcome to sign up for an account to give it a try. We include a 30 day free trial giving you an opportunity to test drive all the feature before having to pay for anything. I hope this helped and enjoy the rest of your day.

• Deb0516
    Deb0516
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response! I have the Mac app on both desktop and laptop. I also did NOT have the box checked as a shared computer. I do a lot in private browsing so I bet that was it.
    As to why I use the web based app, I find it easier versus the Mac app when changing passwords most times anyway. So far though I love it!!

• That's great news @Deb0516 - Thank you for sharing. Yes, it sounds like private browsing is the culprit. Feel free to use 1Password how it works best for you. I'm glad you love using it and keep us posted if you have any questions setting your Mom up with 1Password, we'll be happy to help :-) Safe travels to Florida!

This discussion has been closed.