How do I create a new vault?

Options

I don't see any option to create a vault in the Windows app, or to control sharing on the default Shared vault. What am I missing?

1Password Version: 1Password 6.3.359d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @deviantintegral,

Right now, neither 1Password 6 for Mac, nor 1Password 6 for Windows has the functionality to create or manage vaults in your 1Password account. It is limited to the web-interface at the moment. Learn how you can do that on our website:

Create, share, and manage vaults

We are considering a possibility to bring it to the apps, but I don't have anything to share at this point.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please feel free to get in touch. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member
    Options

Got it, thanks. It's rather confusing to have some of the functionality split between the web and dedicated apps, with no clear way to tell what is where. Ideally, even if a given platform is partially built, it'd be good to point family members to the website and know they can do everything they need in one spot.

• Hi @deviantintegral,

On behalf of Greg, you're welcome.

Anything that is administration related like creating new accounts, new vaults and so on are for admins only or what we call family organizers, they have access to the admin console which is accessible only on the web site.

The regular non-admin accounts do not have access to the admin console, so pointing all family members to the web app wouldn't help because they can't create vaults on their own. If you assign another family member as a family organizer, then yes, you can direct them to the admin console on the web app and they generally can do everything there.

We might consider a separate cross-platform admin console app in addition to 1Password app that may work as well.

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member
    Options

so pointing all family members to the web app wouldn't help because they can't create vaults on their own

Oh, that's interesting. So, if I add my parents to the account, they can't create their own vaults to share amongst themselves? I get an admin could reset and gain access to the vault, but it seems like creating and sharing new vaults shouldn't be limited to admins.

• Hi @deviantintegral,

So, if I add my parents to the account, they can't create their own vaults to share amongst themselves?

Each family member you invite will have their own Personal vault and Shared vault. The shared vault is the global shared vault that all family members have access to (you can delete this vault and create more explicit/limited shared vaults if you want).

If they need more advanced sharing, they can ask you to create a new vault and set it to a specific specific family members.

but it seems like creating and sharing new vaults shouldn't be limited to admins.

Then you'd get into the situation where the admins don't want their kids to do this and sharing with other members without their permissions.

We are looking into various approaches to this, where if we do this, it wouldn't overcomplicate the experience. We want 1Password Families to be simple for your parents to use on their own but it hasn't been easy so far.

• deviantintegral
    deviantintegral
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT , it's certainly not something simple to design. Looking forward to seeing what your team comes up with.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@deviantintegral: Indeed. And also keep in mind that family Organizers can create, manage, and share vaults, so you're free to designate others to help with the administrative burden. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.