Master password in preferences different from password used to open 1Password.

dblnichols
dblnichols
Community Member

Hello,

I have changed my Master Password on my MacBook Pro using the Mac "desktop" application under preferences. I have also changed the Master Password to newPass at https://my.1password.com under my profile.

To make the description clearer, let me define a few things:
1. Lets call my Mac book pro "myMacbook"
2. Lets call my Mac mini "myMacMini"
3. Lets call my old master password "oldPass"
4. Lets call my new password "newPass"

The Master Password change is not working in the following ways (strictly after having changed the master password as mentioned above):
1. When I open 1Password on myMacBook using the desktop application, I have to use oldPass
2. When I open 1Password on my MacBook using 1Password mini, I have to use oldPass
3. When I open 1Password on myMacMini using the 1Password mini application, I have to use oldPass (it did throw an error the first time only and made me confirm newPass but has since gone back to accepting oldPass only)

The Master Password change is working in the following ways:
1. If I try to change my master password again in the preferences panel in the desktop application using myMacBook, it only recognizes newPass as my current master password (even though I had to open the desktop application using my oldPass!)
2. If I log into https://my.1password.com it will only recognize newPass.

How can I get my devices to start accepting newPass and rejecting oldPass?

Thanks,
Mike

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.5.3 (653000) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @dblnichols,

I would need to see Diagnostics Reports from the Macs to confirm this, but my suspicion is that you still have a Primary vault on these Macs, and that the Primary vault's password is oldPass. The Master Password sync would only work as you'd expect it if myMacbook and MyMacMini do not have a Primary vault and instead only contain the account.

If you no longer need the Primary vault, then you should go into Preferences > Advanced, and uncheck the last checkbox that says something along the lines of "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts".

If I'm wrong and you don't have a Primary vault, then there's something else at play here and I'd love to figure this out with you.

Rick

• dblnichols
    dblnichols
    Community Member

Hello Rick,

Well today it seems like myMacBook is behaving today and accepting newPass finally. I am away from home and will not be able to test myMacmini until Friday. I have not changed anything and do not understand why newPass is now being accepted.

With that being said, I do have a Primary vault and yes - I do have "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" checkbox checked. While I do not use the Primary vault, I did create a new vault to organize my passwords somewhat and that is why I checked that box. Is this is a problem?

If I remember correctly, the primary vault was included in the original install so I never deleted it. I do not recall ever setting a password for any vaults except for the master password I use to unlock 1Password. I vaguely remember reading that the password protected vaults feature was for more involved plans than mine. Is it the case that if I am not using one of the more involved plans then I should be deleting the primary vault?

Thanks,
    Mike

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dblnichols: If you're using the 1Password.com service, it would really be best to move your data there and get rid of the Primary local vault. That way all of your data will be in your account and all you need to do to access it is login to the apps/website; whereas if your data is in a local vault, you'll need to configure sync for it on each device. It's just one less thing to keep track of. Let me know what you think!

• atb802
    atb802
    Community Member

Hello

I have a similar problem. I changed my master password on my Mac and I was surprise when I saw that new password doesn't work. I can login on iPad and iOS but my mac accept only old password. What's wrong?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@atb802: Nothing. 1Password doesn't store your Master Password, so it's just using it as an input to decrypt the data. Once you unlock each device with the "old" Master Password, it can sync your data, and then it can be decrypted by the new Master Password going forward. It's a neat trick. ;)

This discussion has been closed.