chrome extension not saving new passwords

hnzz
hnzz
Community Member
edited February 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi, i have worked with 1password on the mac for years. As i moved over to windows i first tried 1password6 but found that it did not worked with my dropbox vault so i purchased 1password4 for windows. I have downloaded and installed the extension (4.6.3.90), works for existing password but it won't save new ones. And if i click on the icon and press F10 -> option i get a window that states version 6! and when i click on "vault for saving" i get a empty dropdown.

Any help much appreciated!
Hans

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @hnzz,

Thanks for writing in.

Is there a specific reason you would like to use Dropbox instead of using our own sync solution via 1Password.com subscription?

When you installed 1Password 4, did you remove 1Password 6? It sounds like the browser extension is connected to the running 1Password 6 process. If you really want to stick with 1Password 4, uninstall 1Password 6 and reboot. After that, the extension should connect to 1Password 4 instead.

• hnzz
    hnzz
    Community Member

the reason for still using dropbox is that i have a perfect working solution on the mac-side of things and i have learned that better is the evil twin of good e.g. if it works perfect, don't touch it if you can. Besides it will be a pity of the money i paided for 1pass4 for windows :-(

yes i removed the 1pass6 before installing 1pass4 , no sign of 1pass6 in the uninstall screen, but i agree that it looks like version 6 is still running.

My question : any idea(s) to completely remove the 1pass6 version ?

all help much appreciated

• hnzz
    hnzz
    Community Member

Did some more digging and found a directory C:\Users\userid\AppData\Local\1Password with all kind of stuff in it AND a directory called 6. Could this be the problem and if so can I just trash the whole directory ???

• Hi @hnzz,

Thanks for writing in.

Please double check by going to the Control Panel > Uninstall a program to make sure 1Password 6 is not on the list, sometime users had two separate versions of 1Password 6 installed because of installing to separate Windows accounts.

If it is not there, then, only delete the 1Password\6\app directory, do not delete the data folder. Reboot and see if 1Password 4 works now.

Besides it will be a pity of the money I paided for 1pass4 for windows :-(

We can help with that if you want.

the reason for still using dropbox is that i have a perfect working solution on the mac-side of things and i have learned that better is the evil twin of good e.g. if it works perfect, don't touch it if you can.

We do understand. One thing is that 1Password.com is controlled entirely by us, it will be much faster, more reliable and more integrated with 1Password than Dropbox (no third party app required on desktops), not to mention 1Password.com has web access if you ever need to use 1Password without installing the app. Plus you get access to all 1Password apps on all platforms and future upgrades included.

We do offer one month free trial for you to try experimenting if you want and we can work with the license you bought depending on when it was bought.

• hnzz
    hnzz
    Community Member

thanks, problem solved ! and i am gonna think about the 1pass6 offer.
    Hans

• Hi @hnzz,

What was the problem, a second copy of 1Password 6?

• hnzz
    hnzz
    Community Member

My windows has only one user so a duplicate install does not seem likely. Anyway I removed the directory C:\Users\userid\AppData\Local\1Password\App\6 and rebooted the machine. It looks like the uninstaller never removed this directory as it contained a complete 1pass6 app. Maybe i had 1pass6 still running while uninstalling ? The chrome extention now talks with 1pass4 and i can save new passwords.

• Thanks for the details. The uninstaller is supposed to shut down the program before it uninstalls but that is a possibility, especially if there was something heavy going on in the background and the app didn't shut down in time. This will be improved in the upcoming 1Password 6.3 update where it has a new installer/uninstaller.

This discussion has been closed.