It's been a great ride but it's time to say goodbye

Dear Agilebits,

I came to 1Password when I talked my company into letting me use a Mac instead of a PC about 10 years ago. I was using a password manager (I forget which one) on Windows that didn't really work that well. But I much preferred that concept to keeping a list in a spreadsheet. I tried 1Password and loved it. Done.

Recently I switched back to Windows 10 for reasons I can tell you over a beer. I was glad to see that 1Password had a Windows version – until I tried it. It's not even the same product as the Mac version. Not only is the GUI ugly and hard to use, but it really doesn't work well with Chrome. For one thing, you guys expect me not to use Chrome's ability to store passwords. Second, the Windows version doesn't really seem to understand when a password is required and when it isn't.

I've written before that when I confirm a flight on the United Airlines web site that I spend as much time dismissing 1Password asking me if I want to save the password as I do telling United that no I don't have a lap baby and no I don't want to upgrade to 1st class. I'm sure I could figure out how to make this stop, but suffice it to say that a utility app like 1Password should just work, it shouldn't take a long learning curve. 1Password is constantly asking if I want to save or update a password, even when I've already told it to update the password.

I looked for an alternative and I found a good one – LastPass. I won't extol its virtues here other than to say it just works. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to use it and I didn't read one instructional item in a user guide, help article, user forum, etc. And BTW, if I want to use Chrome's cached passwords, no problem.

I'll say this about Windows 10 as a old Mac guy – it's a lot better than I expected. The energy that Microsoft is putting into Windows, the nice laptops that are coming out, and the relative lethargy of Apple says to me that Microsoft has caught the wave. The Windows market has always been big. I think you need to have a competent Windows 10-like version of 1Password.

My two cents...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @emmgee,

Thanks for letting us know, we're sorry to see you go. We are working on improving 1Password 6 as it is a new codebase but it will take some time to get here.

As for your issue, that can happen if Chrome's internal password manager wasn't disabled. If Chrome replaces or interfere with the filling, it can cause 1Password to prompt to auto-save again because it looked like it is different. However, that's not the only cause, there could be other reasons.

Without knowing more about what happened here, we can't explain why it happened but it surely isn't normal.

• emmgee
    emmgee
    Community Member

Re disabling Chrome's internal password manager... This is just one person's opinion, but I don't see any issue with letting Chrome fill in my passwords. I have a strong login password on my computer. I also have an encrypted hard drive. As far as I know, it would be next to impossible for someone to break into my computer. The biggest risk I would face is if I left the laptop running and stepped away and someone grabbed it before it went to sleep.

I'm pretty confident that the odds of someone grabbing my computer in the latter scenario are low. So I'm happy to have the convenience of Chrome remembering my usernames and passwords so that when I go to this or that web site, I'm already logged in. A password manager becomes a backup and a way to generate random passwords easily. You can add notes (like when credit cards are due), etc. A password manager can work hand-in-hand with Chrome vs. being either-or. For people who don't agree with that philosophy, then it's easy enough to disable Chrome's password manager and rely totally on the third-party password manager.

• Hi @emmgee,

In that case, Chrome has improved to the stage that 1Password is not the right solution for your use case anymore and we really are happy that you have a better setup that works perfectly for you. Chrome can deeply access the web page's source code that we can't access with just a browser extension, so yes they naturally are going to have a better experience than we do. It wasn't long ago that Chrome didn't encrypt the password database on the drive, encrypted hard drives are not something most people can easily do and so on. This is exactly what our initial goal was a decade ago, to educate and get everyone using something to protect their data, it may not be 1Password for everyone but as long as someone has something, let it be other competitors. 1Password is not meant to complement the internal browser's manager, it's meant to be a comprehensive password manager that works across browsers, platforms and mobile devices along with the ability to store other type of data, that's why we've been working on 1Password.com service, to simplify all of that.

This discussion has been closed.