New Vault - in DropBox

DPaxton
DPaxton
Community Member
edited February 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

1Password Version 4.6.1.617 Windows 10

You may have answered this so I apologize if it is buried somewhere in the forums and I just have not found it.

I used "File" -New 1Password Vault" to create a new vault - gave it a master Pass word when asked.
I then saved it to a team shared drobox account.

Question 1,

Can another 1Password user that has an individual version that also has access to that dropbox directory open the vault with the master password I gave the vault?

He wont have access to my vault right? Looks like a totally separate key-chain as I have to login in to it separately also.

Question 2:
Is there a way for me to access it without logging out of my main vault and logging into the new vault?

Basically I am trying to share a vault by using this as a workaround before getting a team account.

Thank you!

1Password Version: 4.6.1.617 (19)
Extension Version: 4.6.3 Firefox
OS Version: 6.2.9200
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @DPaxton,

Thanks for writing in.

First, 1Password 4 for local vaults and 1Password 6 with 1Password.com Teams are radically different in every way, the answers I've given here is only for 1Password 4, it will not work the same way in 1Password 6, which is designed exactly for your use case.

Can another 1Password user that has an individual version that also has access to that dropbox directory open the vault with the master password I gave the vault?

Yes.

He wont have access to my vault right? Looks like a totally separate key-chain as I have to login in to it separately also.

No, he will have absolute control to it. You're giving him the password to do whatever he wants with that vault. There is no difference between you and him having the vault file and the password to it.

Is there a way for me to access it without logging out of my main vault and logging into the new vault?

No, 1Password 4 need the specific password to decrypt the vault. The moment you unlock a vault, the key in memory is destroyed immediately. That's why you need to unlock each vault individually.

In 1Password 6 and 1Password.com Teams, you will have total control over who can do what to your vaults, like read-only access to a specific vault. 1Password 6 lets you quickly switch between vaults without unlocking each one and there is All Vaults to view all vaults in one view. The reason 1Password 6 can do this is because it has an internal database that stores all of the vault contents, rather than separate vault files.

• DPaxton
    DPaxton
    Community Member

I did not ask the question properly, but I think you answered it anyway. I just wanted to make sure the new vault I created and want to share via drop box is totally separate from my personal Vault. It apparently is, I have to login to each, one at a time. and the person I am sharing the other vault has to do the same, either his personal vault or the one I am sharing via dropbox but NOT both at the same time, and that is ok. I have that right don't I?

Just an easy temporary work around for our non profit before we decide on a sharing plan.

It is much quicker to switch between them on the iPhone.

• Hi @DPaxton,

That is absolutely correct. If you've split into two separate vaults and share only one, the person would only have access to that shared vault, it would not be merged or mixed in with his own vaults unless he intentionally import his own data into the shared vault.

• DPaxton
    DPaxton
    Community Member

Interesting though, I can access both my primary and the new vault on my iPhone at the same time.

• Hi @Dpaxton,

Right, you're using 1Password 6 for iOS, which has the internal database structure like 1Password 6 for Windows/macOS. It's just 1Password 4 that doesn't have it.

• DPaxton
    DPaxton
    Community Member

I downloaded and installed the desktop 6 for windows a few days ago but it does not seem to accept my login credentials. When I check V 4 for updates it says I have the latest version, so what gives?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @DPaxton,

I downloaded and installed the desktop 6 for windows a few days ago but it does not seem to accept my login credentials.

Could you please specify, are you using the credentials from your 1Password account (including Account Key) or you are trying to access 1Password 6 using only your Master Password from a local vault in 1Password 4?

When I check V 4 for updates it says I have the latest version, so what gives?

1Password 6 for Windows is not an upgrade for 1Password 4 (yet). 1Password 6 is focused on our hosted 1Password accounts at the moment, while 1Password 4 supports local vaults only. They complement each other, but our end goal is to have one 1Password app for Windows.

If there is a confusion happening, please let us know. We are here to help. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• DPaxton
    DPaxton
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

Thank you Greg, your answer cleared it up,

Is their confusion, well yes. Not all your fault, A lot can be cleared up if - we spend more time reading about your software, Since you created two programs with the same name it does cause confusion. Naming the version 6 "1Password Cloud", or " 1Password-Hosted" or something else would make it easier to distinguish the difference right away.

We are good to go and I like the product. I have not completely migrated away from Norton Data Safe as I find some things in it I like better, but it may be just getting used to 1Password.

It would be a far better program if all iPhone apps requiring passwords supported 1password so we would not have to open 1Password every time we need to login somewhere, like a bank account. Copying and pasting is archaic in age.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@DPaxton:

I am glad to hear I was able to clarify the confusion! Please share what you like better in other apps and we will share some 1Password tips and tricks in our turn. ;)

At the moment, there are over 200 apps that support 1Password:

Apps ❤ 1Password

The thing with the apps on iOS is that the developer of the app have to implement the support for 1Password on their side – we can't do this ourselves. What we can do is to build a 1Password extension for your mobile Safari, and we did. Check it out:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

I hope it helps. Thank you for using 1Password! We are always ready to help. :chuffed:

Cheers,
    Greg

• DPaxton
    DPaxton
    Community Member

Yes I know it is up to the app developer to incorporate support for another app. What info do I need to give my local bank for example about 1Password to encourage support?

• Hey @DPaxton,

That's a question we always love hearing because there can never be enough banks, banking sites, and banking apps that support password managers so their customers can use strong passwords.

Our 1Password Extension for iOS Apps Github project contains all the documentation and code an app developer needs to integrate 1Password into their app.

Oh and while you're at it, you can ask them to have their website developers check if they employ web development best practices to ensure maximum compatibility with 1Password.

Let us know if we can do anything else for you and have a great week!

Alex

This discussion has been closed.