Feature Request: SeaMonkey Support

Any 1Password support planned for the Mozilla browser suite known as Seamonkey?

http://www.seamonkey-project.org

Just askin'. :)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    Welcome to the forums, paulcoholic!

I have to say, I honestly didn't think SeaMonkey was still being developed. It looks like they just put out a new beta two weeks ago, though.

At this time, we only support the Camino, Firefox 3, and Firefox 4 browsers which use the Gecko rendering engine (in addition to all the other WebKit-based browsers we support). I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time, but we will keep this in mind for the future.

Thanks for letting us know it would be useful to you!
  • paulcoholic
    paulcoholic
    Community Member
    SeaMonkey ver 2.1 was just released: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.1/ Just curious, but is there any way for it to use the 1P extension for Firefox 3 or 4 much like RockMelt and Chromiun can use Chrome's 1P extension?

khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, paulcoholic!

I have to say, I honestly didn't think SeaMonkey was still being developed. It looks like they just put out a new beta two weeks ago, though.

At this time, we only support the Camino, Firefox 3, and Firefox 4 browsers which use the Gecko rendering engine (in addition to all the other WebKit-based browsers we support). I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time, but we will keep this in mind for the future.

Thanks for letting us know it would be useful to you!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    is there any way for it to use the 1P extension for Firefox 3 or 4

Not to my knowledge. SeaMonkey handles extensions in a different way. You can't easily install "off the shelf" Firefox extensions in it. If it were that simple, we would likely already support it. :S

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
  • docalex
    docalex
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Not to my knowledge. SeaMonkey handles extensions in a different way. You can't easily install "off the shelf" Firefox extensions in it. If it were that simple, we would likely already support it. :S

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Hello all,

Just adding a small voice for SeaMonkey support. Until recently, I've only used the Composer component of the program for simple html editing. But recently I find myself using the browser, along with Chrome and FF because it has a much better ability to hide status, navigation, bookmark, etc bars (and do so on a per-window basis - not like Chrome where whatever you hide gets hidden for all open windows) and this is important when I'm doing financial/stock work and need charting software, two online brokers, an old portfolio online service I love called Clearstation (that does not display properly in FF)... and I really need to reduce the vertical size of the Clearstation window so I can see the real-time stuff above it.

Point is I need multiple browsers because some sites just work better with one or the other, and I'm finding the SeaMonkey browser very robust with some neat features like I said.

I know very very few people use SeaMonkey - but it is regularly updated and actively developed, and works surprisingly well - and if it could be supported by 1PW, that would be great. As it is, cut/pasting from 1PW into SeaMonkey is not a major hardship. So consider this a whispered request... the opposite of a demand. :-) Thanks,

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the vote, docalex!

I will pass this along to the developers. :-)
  • avinator
    avinator
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Thanks for the vote, docalex!

I will pass this along to the developers. :-)

That would be great. I used Camino till recently with great pleasure and I am sad to see it go away.... Another request since we are talking browsers.... OPERA ! Another great browser !
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Vote(s) counted! Thanks for the feedback. :-)
  • docalex
    docalex
    Community Member
    Hello all,

Still would like SeaMonkey support, but I must say i think the Preferences --> Browsers tab is much cleaner and less confusing at a glance than in prior versions (I run the beta versions of 1PW.) Seems like some major decision was made to stop chasing marginal Browsers and concentrate on serving 90+% of the market rock-solid well.

just a guess. :-)

Sometimes less really is more. This may be one of those times.

..alex...
  • MikeT
    edited August 2011
    Hi Alex,

The decision is due to the work we’re doing on Lion. Right now, the scripting additions method we use in the past to support Safari and other browsers are not longer an option for us on Lion and thus, we can only support the top three browsers at the moment using their native extension APIs. We do plan to revise this in the future as we continue to improve our new extension for Safari 5.1. The work we’re doing allows us to share majority of the code between browsers, so anything can be possible in the future. :)

Thanks for your suggestions to add Seamonkey in the future, it’s noted.
This discussion has been closed.