Selling MacBook, iPhone, & Apple Watch - Want to ensure no one can ever retrieve my passwords?

Options
es350
es350
Community Member
edited February 2017 in Mac

I use 1Password on my MacBook, iPhone, and Apple Watch. I have the most recent version available from the Mac & iOS App Stores installed on my devices. I plan on upgrading all 3 devices and selling them on eBay. I am not concerned about the iPhone as I know if I sign out of iCloud and do a factory reset I should be good as the device is encrypted. But what about the MacBook and Apple Watch? I plan to sign out of iCloud and do a factory reset on the Apple Watch. I believe the Apple Watch is also encrypted. For the MacBook, the hard drive is not encrypted, I plan to sign out of iCloud, format the hard drive, and reinstall MacOS. Is this enough to be secure? I know that files can still be pulled off of a formatted hard drive. Will my 1Password data be safe if someone tries to retrieve it on one the devices I sell above? Should I change my 1Password master password to be extra safe or is it not necessary?

_Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member
    Options

Hi es350,

here is the link that will give you all the was to uninstall 1password from not only your computer but browsers as well.

https://support.1password.com/search/?q=uninstall+1password

Once you do all of these actions, you still will need to wipe your computer clean so you can rest assured your computer is not going to another person that who can see your data.

Cheers,

Conor

• Hi @es350,

A strong Master Password is really the answer here. You always want your Master Password to be strong enough such that even if someone gains access to your vault that you're sure they won't be able to get in.

There isn't much beyond what you've stated that you can do, but if you have a "secure erase" option for the drive, that'd be a good idea for you as well.

You're doing good by doing your due diligence in trying to clean the data off of the drive. When it comes to 1Password data on disk, even if someone gets access to it they still won't be able to read anything without your Master Password.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.