Feature Request: Barcodes for membership and loyalty cards in 1Password

Comments

• hrietman
    hrietman
    Community Member

one vote for me too, I love 1password and this is something that is missing to make it from a good app to a briljant app!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

Noted!

ref: OPI-2284

• Obermeyer
    Obermeyer
    Community Member

Please add my vote as well. This would be a wonderful feature!

• Thanks, @Obermeyer!

Ben

• hamishmcn
    hamishmcn
    Community Member

I would love to have the ability to attach an image with a password entry (on the iOS app).
    Use cases include:

• being able to take a photograph of info, eg serial numbers/registration codes currently on a label, as a backup just in case I lose the physical copy (without having to go through the pain of carefully typing it in and triple checking I haven't made a mistake)
    • As the family "holder of passwords" sometimes the password has been written down on a piece of paper before I get to it. Again the ability to add a note tagging it with the person and the context and store an image of it would be great, eg "Jane's xbox pwd"
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Serial numbers are a fantastic example. And while I personally prefer to digitize stuff that was originally handwritten so it can be copied and pasted (and easily read!) it could definitely be useful to quickly "acquire" some important information that way for use later on. Thanks for mentioning that!

• luisnunezc
    luisnunezc
    Community Member

Please add a vote for me... Would be nice to have this barcode option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! :)

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

I would like such a feature as well.

• Thanks for the vote, @verdi1987

Ben

• naeS1Sean
    naeS1Sean
    Community Member

Hello! So I had a thought the other day. I was trying to keep track of all my rewards / store cards, and it's no easy task. Physical cards aren't an option for me, so I've always used either Key Ring or Stocard. Stocard is probably the best, but it still has serious issues that make me not want to use it. Then other day I started using 1Password (which is really amazing...) and I saw the Reward Program section. I thought to myself, "It would be great if I could put all my reward card info/numbers in here and have stores scan a barcode!", and the idea was born. Everything is already built into 1Password for me to replace Stocard besides a barcode generator and a picture editor/adder if it doesn't auto-populate an image with a webpage link. It would be amazing if you would consider adding that feature. Thank you! :)

PS: Speaking of image editor/adder, that would be great in the apps all around. If an image doesn't auto-populate with a URL, I would love to be able to add one myself to keep things pretty and clean. 8-)

1Password Version: All the latest
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.1.1
    Sync Type: Family

• Hi @naeS1Sean

Thanks for the vote. I've merged your thread with another requesting the same thing. :)

Ben

• naeS1Sean
    naeS1Sean
    Community Member

Thank you @Ben !!!

• naeS1Sean
    naeS1Sean
    Community Member

Wow. I wasn't alone...lol

• Not at all. ;)

Ben

• dacejames
    dacejames
    Community Member

+1 for barcode support. Would be a killer addition to an already near-perfect app. Let me toss these plastic key ring cards please!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

haha I can get behind that sentiment! Hopefully we'll be able to do something in this area in the future.

I will say though that there's one pretty big impediment to this being useful. I already scan or take pictures of this stuff to store in 1Password, and occasionally that helps...but in far too many cases, the scanners in use out there are 80s-era technology and can't read from the reflective/illuminated screen on my iPhone. Dang. :unamused:

• fjacquet
    fjacquet
    Community Member

+1 a lot of tools (lemon wallet,apple pay ) are doing it ... should we leave 1password for this part ? @brenty : apple pay is scanning card and creating value from it. not sure it is an 80s-area technology ...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fjacquet: My mistake. It looks like barcode scanners came into widespread use in the 1970s. Since they're using lasers and not photographic cameras (as your iPhone is for Apple Pay), devices based on this technology cannot read information off of reflective screens. That's what I'm referring to.

Apple Pay is great, but there's an infrastructure there. We don't have any plans to build a 1Password payment network though. So while someday I'm sure that it will be awesome to have everything in our pockets without having to carry around all these physical cards, in most stores it's still impossible to use something like that. Glad that contactless payments and chip/PIN cards (in spite of their security failings) are forcing businesses to upgrade their equipment though. :)

• mjmorris11733
    mjmorris11733
    Community Member

+1 for this. I use CardStar to hold all these loyalty cards, but it would be much nicer to do it in 1password.

• robinharleman
    robinharleman
    Community Member

+1 vote for me as well please. Actually, can I challenge you for a dashboard with feature request users can leave their vote? :chuffed:

• Hi @robinharleman

Actually, can I challenge you for a dashboard with feature request users can leave their vote? :chuffed:

No, sorry. We've been using the term "vote" when it comes to feature requests, but we're trying to get away from that. It gives the wrong impression, frankly. What features are included in 1Password are not decided democratically.

We're not planning any changes to the way we handle feature requests at this time.

+1 vote for me as well please.

Noted! Thanks for your feedback. :)

Ben

• pwagland
    pwagland
    Community Member

Hi Agile,

Indeed, I came here today to ask for almost exactly this.

it would be insanely awesome if I could add the company name, and then use the camera to scan the bar code in, and have both the number and the barcode available to show the cashier on those occasions where it would be useful.

Please consider this to be my "vote", even if we are not in a democracy ;-)

Cheers,
    Paul

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you! I'd love to have this myself. Hopefully we can add this feature one day. Cheers! :)

• nicci
    nicci
    Community Member

+1 for the vote please; currently using keyring and would love to unify

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. I'll pass along your feedback. :)

• alancookie
    alancookie
    Community Member

+1 for this feature. I was just telling my wife that we could use 1PW instead of Cardstar but attaching photos is a multiple step process that makes it difficult for a nontechnical person. Need to include a barcode scanner and picks up the number and also displays the barcode for easy use.

• Thanks for the feedback, @alancookie.

Ben

• Alex_Mette
    Alex_Mette
    Community Member

+4 from my whole family ;-)