To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Incorrect device name is showing up in my Authorized Devices

When viewing my Authorized Devices in my account it is showing an incorrect name for my MacBook. Where is it pulling the device name from?

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: macOS Sierra
Sync Type: Family Account
Referrer: forum-search:Device name

Comments

• Hi @mark_luczkowski - Great question! Open system preferences on your Mac > Click on the "Sharing" folder > from here you can change the computer name. I hope this helps and let us know if you have any additional questions. :-)

• mark_luczkowski
    mark_luczkowski
    Community Member

I've already changed it there however when I delete and reauthorize my Mac it still registers the device as my old name.

• rob
    rob
    edited September 2017

Hi, @mark_luczkowski. Sorry for the confusion. This is a known issue right now, but we hope to address it soon. What "soon" means is not yet defined, but it's on our list of things to do next. If it's a showstopper for you, I believe there's a way to force it to refresh by deleting a preference file and relaunching 1Password, but I'd have to check on that.

ref: b5-2097

• mark_luczkowski
    mark_luczkowski
    Community Member

Rob,

Thanks for the update and the information. Not a showstopper however was something I wanted to validate if it was a known issue.

• rob
    rob
    edited February 2017

Perfect :+1:

• Kimmo
    Kimmo
    Community Member

It looks like this is still an issue. It gets confusing when you have five "Wendy's MacBook Pro" devices on your account. (Okay, maybe it is just two, but still.) :)

Is there a workaround, such as the mentioned removal of preferences file, that could be used while the fix is pending?

• Hi @Kimmo,

You're right, this is still an issue. If you're looking for a workaround... I think doing a full Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data... on the Mac and signing back in will re-add the Mac as a new device with the correct info. You'll want to make sure you have your Emergency Kit (email, sign in url, secret key, and master password) safe before you do this.

Rick

• Kimmo
    Kimmo
    Community Member

Thanks, @rickfillion -- that did it!

• Woo! I look forward to when that issue is resolved. It causes us much grief.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.