1Password Windows not syncing 1Password Account

Hey.

I've used 1Password for quite some time now using Dropbox Sync which worked just fine. A few weeks ago I've changed to a subscription plan and migrated my vault to my 1Password.com account. Changing was smooth, no problems at all.

I'm currently using 1Password for Mac, iPhone and Windows. Everything works fine and immediately syncs across devices as expected, except the 1Password client for Windows (Version 6, latest update installed):

**When I unlock my vault the Windows client shows an outdated version. Newly added items don't show up at all and updated items don't refresh.

My network connection works fine, I've closed and opened the vault a few times but nothing changes. The only thing that worked was completely removing the 1P.com account and adding at again. This is what I need to do everytime I make changes from my Mac oder Phone to get the Windows client to update.**

How is it even possible that the Windows client shows an outdated version of the vault after logging in? I thought the data is hosted on your servers?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

• Henning

1Password Version: 6.3.359
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password.com Account

Comments

• davidjpfeiffer
    davidjpfeiffer
    Community Member

This is happening on my Windows client as well. There seem to be synchronization issues. I changed my master password on the 1Password website last night, and the windows client immediately recognized it and forced me to log in again with the new password. This morning I tried to log in, and the client would only accept the old password.

Additionally, my account says that there are "sync errors" in the windows application, but when I click on them there aren't any.

• NXD
    NXD
    Community Member

I just figured out that completely closing 1Password (including the tray application) also seems to work. When starting 1P again, the account syncs. But that does not really solve the problem, it's annoying to always close and restart the client.

• Hi guys,

Thanks for reporting the issues.

We're working on shipping 1Password 6.4 very soon, it will have a lot of improvements in this area (over 100 changes for this update). If you are willing, please give the latest beta a try. You can enable the beta update in the Settings > Options > Updates.

@davidjpfeiffer,

This morning I tried to log in, and the client would only accept the old password.

What you did was update the password for the 1Password.com account stored within your 1Password app's database but the database is still encrypted with the first master password that was used. In 1Password 6.3 and older versions, the database password is not updated if the first 1Password.com account's password has remotely been changed.

Starting with 1Password 6.4, it will support updating the local password if your 1Password.com account's password has been remotely changed.

For now, you have to change it manually via the 1Password's Settings > Options > Security.

@NXD,

How is it even possible that the Windows client shows an outdated version of the vault after logging in? I thought the data is hosted on your servers?

It is hosted on the servers but it is not decrypted or "streamed" from the servers. All encrypted data is downloaded to your drives first before we can decrypt it with your password, that's intentional and to protect you. It also means that even in the event of a breach, no one can see any decrypted data without knowing your master password and/or account key, which never ever leaves your device. What's left on the server is encrypted data that cannot be decrypted directly on the servers.

That means there is a local cache of your data on all of your devices that 1Password apps work with. When it cannot connect to our servers, it will use that local cache until it can reconnect.

Right now, when 1Password loses an internet connection to our servers, there is an issue where it cannot reconnect right away, this is something we've addressed in 1Password 6.4 update. Windows doesn't tell 1Password that the network is back up and so, it is stuck in offline mode. We're working on adding more workarounds for this. Now, in addition to a few improvements we've made, we've also added a last resort method to force 1Password to do a full sync 10 seconds after every unlock attempt, so you don't have to do the restarts anymore, just lock and unlock if you see this issue even in 1Password 6.4.

This discussion has been closed.