Why does touch ID on iOS still work after vault password changed?

Options
goflowjon
goflowjon
Community Member

I have 1Password installed on iOS, syncing through dropbox, to an opvault vault. I changed the master password on the 1Password desktop version (through Wine on Linux, but I don't think that really changes anything). However, I never had to update the master password on my iPhone until I rebooted the phone; until rebooting, I could still access the existing -- but password-changed -- vault. How can that be?

I verified that the two programs are talking to one another (i.e. data entered on the PC is visible on the iPhone) and that the password was changed (I cannot log into the vault on the desktop app without the new password). I'm puzzled and, honestly, a bit troubled, by this.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.617
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows/Wine on Linux
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @goflowjon,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

1Password on iOS doesn't know about the password change in Dropbox because it doesn't sync with Dropbox until you unlock it. So the first time after you change your Master Password you will need to unlock with the old password, allow Dropbox to sync, lock 1Password, and then unlock with the new Master Password.

The desktop apps work differently because Dropbox runs in the background as its own process and pulls down changes constantly as they happen.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• goflowjon
    goflowjon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for responding.

But how was 1Password able to access a vault with (what should have been) an unknown password? Because 1Password on iOS was able to read changes I made on the desktop (I actually didn't check to see if it worked the other way around but that's a bit academic), even though I had changed the password on the desktop and not entered the new one on the smartphone.

• Ben
    Options

The answer to that is a bit complex, but we've outlined it here:

AgileBits Blog | How 1Password syncs changes to your Master Password

Does that answer your question?

Thanks.

Ben

• goflowjon
    goflowjon
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for the answer!

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.