Updated 1Password4 for Windows and get error - libeay32.dll not for windows or contains an error

I decided to update and after the new install I get an error when I launch 1Password. It says, "libeay32.dll either not for windows or contains an error." If I go back to an older version I happen to have the installer for (4.1.0.526), there is no issue.

1Password Version: 1Password4 for Windows
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win7 Enterprise
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:libeay32.dll

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

Libeay.dll is rather old and meant for SSL 3 which is now considered insecure. What version of 1Password 4 are you using? The current version is 1Password 4.6.617.

• Jethro95
    Jethro95
    Community Member

When I install the latest version I get the error mentioned above upon trying to start up 1Password. Said another way, if I install the latest version, I can't use 1Password at all. This is why until this is resolved I have gone back to the old version I happen to have the installer for.

• @Jethro95

Can you please check if you have any important Windows updates pending and maybe check the integrity of your system?
    This type of DLL error can occur when the system isn't properly configured or if third party software like anti-malware software mess with essential system files.

Cheers,

Alex

• Jethro95
    Jethro95
    Community Member

Windows Update says it's up to date. McAfee Endpoint is the only security software installed. It's a pretty simple machine that just runs Microsoft Office and Chrome browser most of the time.

• Hey @Jethro95,

We've looked into this more closely and found that this was related to an old and rather obscure bug.
    Here's how to fix it:

1. Uninstall 1Password 4 from the Control Panel (don't use uninstaller apps).
    2. Reboot your PC.
    3. Download the latest version of 1Password 4 from our updates page: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4
    4. Install it, run it.

Please let us know if this solved your problem, or if there's anything else we can help you with.

Cheers,

Alex

• Jethro95
    Jethro95
    Community Member

That did not work with 4.6.1.617. I got the same error as before. I was curious as to when this may have started so I installed 4.6.1.616 and got the same result. However, when I installed 4.6.0.604 it worked just fine.

• Hi @Jethro95,

The biggest difference between 604 and 616/617 is the extra encryption we've added to the browser extensions and 1Password Helper.

Usually, when a program adds more encryption code, it triggers a false positive in the anti-malware solution, especially considering the ransomware situation. We suspect this may be the cause in your situation, check your anti-malware solutions to make sure 1Password files are excluded or it didn't block 1Password from finishing its files.

• Jethro95
    Jethro95
    Community Member

I uninstalled and reinstalled again a few more times and reviewed the install logs for both 604 and 617. They both indicated that libeay32.dll installed successfully. However, I noticed that the libeay32.dll included in 604 had a date of 6/29/15 and the 617 file had a date of 5/03/16. So I made a copy of the 6/29/15 file and then installed 617. Then I replaced the installed one dated 5/03/16 with the older 6/29/15 file and everything seems to be working just fine now. ??????

• Hi @Jethro95,

Can you tell me the SHA256 hash on your 617 version of libeay32.dll? It should be DC2E46B605E30D60943A3BE8DCA6123DD4FCF5F86AED02D8C8F4E550381D558B.

• Jethro95
    Jethro95
    Community Member

It matches.

• Hi @Jethro95,

Well, that's the file we ship to everyone and you're the only one who saw that error. Plus, the file has been out for a few months now.

It is still possible there's something blocking 1Password from reading that file. Any chance you could try rebooting into safe mode with networking, replace the file and start 1Password, see if it works?

• Jethro95
    Jethro95
    Community Member

When in safe mode with networking, it works without throwing the error so I think you are correct. That particular instance must be being blocked somehow.

• Yep, that means there's a third party tool interfering with it.

Try excluding the directory in McAfee and see if that'll help.

This discussion has been closed.