Can't create new vault

Options
boli
boli
Community Member

The menu item to create a new vault is done, only creating a demo vault is still available.

In Preferences > Advanced I noticed there's a checkbox "Local Vaults" that says "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". It is checked but greyed out, it doesn't seem to be working.

My main vault is synched between Macs and iOS devices via iCloud. I do have an additional local-only vault on my Mac at home. I think (but not 100% sure) I also used to have a local-only vault here on my Mac at work. A password item I think should have been in the work-local-only vault is now in my main vault. Let's ignore this possible "vault went missing" issue until I have verified my Mac at home.

I'm using the most recent version of the AppStore 1Password on Macs with the most recent version of macOS. I don't have a 1Password account, and I don't want one.

I did switch from a non-AppStore version of 1PW to the AppStore version, for convenience and issues I forgot (so I paid twice), but that was a looong time ago. Plus I made sure that I use the newest vault format, also a long time ago.

Not sure if this change came with the 6.6.x version, at least the release notes don't mention it. I was unable to run a 6.5.x from Time Machine even after deleting all other copies, it couldn't connect to 1PWmini and would just quit.

Note that as a software developer myself, I do understand the value and cost of updates, and am willing to pay for upgrades every once in a while.

1Password Version: 6.6.
Extension Version: ? (but probably irrelevant)
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• boli
    boli
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Off topic, ignore this for now.

Created new thread with issue I'm sure I have. I think I might also be missing a second local-only vault, but need to verify.

Edit: That thread just went missing after I edited it to fill in version numbers. It said "will appear once approved". WTF? It as visible just before that.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @boli,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! I'm sorry you're having trouble with vaults. Also, sorry for any confusion about your "missing" thread - it was initially caught by an automatic spam filter for some reason, but we marked it as "not spam" as soon as we noticed that (we also merged both of your messages in to the same discussion).

You said the 'New Vault' menu option "is done" - did you mean "gone"? If you don't see that option in the menu at all, that's a known issue in the latest version of 1Password from the Mac App Store. I apologize for the inconvenience! For now, the workaround is to create a Demo vault, which will force the 1Password menu to refresh and show you the 'New Vault' option. Once you create a new vault, you can delete the Demo vault if you'd like.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else or still have trouble creating a vault. Cheers! :)

ref: OPM-4859

• boli
    boli
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG

The 2nd message did belong to the other thread originally, but I wanted to confirm the "my vault is gone" first impression. I'll do that there if applicable.

Yes I did mean "gone" instead of "done". I'll try the workaround you posted. I'm at home now where I still have 1PW 6.5.3 (also AppStore version) installed, and the "New Vault…" is still available.

Update: OK so after updating to 1PW 6.6 (App Store version) the New Vault… menu option was gone. As suggested after creating and deleting a demo vault the menu option was back again. Unfortunate this happened, but at least there's a workaround, thanks for letting me know.

P.S. my second "local only" vault is still available.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem, let us know how it goes and if you have any trouble with the workaround. Sorry again for the trouble! :)

• fariage
    fariage
    Community Member
    Options

I was having the sam problem. Happy there was a work around. Waiting for the update...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fariage,

We recently released an update with the fix for this bug, so you simply need to install that (the latest update is currently 6.6.2). If you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac, open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Check for Updates in the menu bar. If you're using the Mac App Store version, open the Mac App Store and check the Updates section.

Once you install the update, you should be able to create new vaults. If you still have trouble with that, please let us know! :)

• ManuCH
    ManuCH
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a bit confused: I use 1Password with the subscription only (no local vaults). However I'm unable to create a new vault from the Mac app, even with version 6.6.2. I need to go to the website and do it from there.

Is that expected behavior? If not, where is a "New vault" menu option supposed to show up?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ManuCH,

Sorry for the confusion! The problem discussed in this thread was with creating new local vaults. Currently, new 1Password.com account vaults must be created from the website, so you won't see an option for that in the app. In other words, you're correct - that's expected behavior.

I hope that clears things up, but let us know if you have more questions. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.