iPad keyboard disappears when typing letter i into 1Pwd in split screen mode

m_w
m_w
Community Member

Hi - wI as using an app one my iPad and needed to lookup some credentials and so I brought up 1Pwd in split screen mode. I wanted to search for the item I needed and started typing the name into the search field but every time I hit the button for the letter i on the iPad keyboard the keyboard disappeared; I tried it with other apps running and then bringing up 1Pwd in split screen mode and the same happened every time; it doesn't matter whether I type lower or upper case i or what position the letter i is in the search term; as soon as you hit i the keyboard disappears.

1Password Version: 6.4.5
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: iOS 10.0.2
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@m_w: Interesting. Thanks for bringing this up! Can you tell me the iPad model you're using, and the exact "split screen" method involved here? There's Slide Over, which is "temporary", and then there are multiple degrees of Split Screen. A screen shot would be great!

I am not, thusfar, able to reproduce what you're describing, but I'm probably "holding it wrong". If you can give me a step by step example using one of the stock apps (Notes?) I'd really appreciate it! :)

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

Its an iPad mini 3 and I swipe from the right hand side in landscape mode to access 1Pwd (see attached IMG_1385.PNG).
    The word I am trying to type is "Trainline" but I can only get as far "Tra" because the next keypress is for the "i" and then the keyboard disappears. After that the entered word remains "Tra", i.e. the "i" is not taken as input. I tried every other letter key and it works fine; only the "i" has this strange effect.

• It appears you are in Safari when this happens. Does it also happen with other apps? If not, have you considered using the 1Password extension for filling into Safari?

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Do you have any Bluetooth devices connected to your iPad? If so could you please try turning Bluetooth off and see if this is still reproducible?

Thanks.

Ben

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

Yes - I'm aware of using the Safari extension. But the issue happens even when you run an app that doesn't need any input from 1Pwd. for example, I just tried it running WeatherProHD, then bringing up 1Pwd by swiping from the right hand edge and trying to type "train". Again, when I hit "i" the keyboard disappeared. I tried the same with Bluetooth switched off and the same happened.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@m_w: While I don't have an iPad mini 3 to test this with, I'm afraid I'm not able to reproduce this with any combination of apps on my iPad mini 4: once I bring up the keyboard, it is only dismissed when I leave the text field or tap the button to close it manually. iOS manages the keyboard, so you may need to contact Apple, but it's certainly a curious thing. I just wonder why this seems to be different only for you, and only with the letter "i". Have you tried restarting your iPad? Have you changed any specific iOS settings which might have an effect on this? And, this is probably a long shot, but do you have shortcuts setup for the keyboard involving the letter "i" which might be causing this? Let me know what you find!

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

This is getting more and more bizarre.

I restarted my iPad, launched WeatherProHD and swiped 1Pwd into split screen from the right (in landscape mode), started typing and it worked! I could type words with "i" and the keyboard stayed up. So I switched to Safari and tried the same and the keyboard disappeared again; so I tried with Mail and 1Pwd and keyboard disappeared; so I thought I try WeatherProHD again and now the keyboard is disappearing with WeatherProHD and 1Pwd.

Checked settings - no shortcuts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@m_w: Okay, yeah this is just getting "stupid weird". :lol:

So I'll ask "stupid weird" question: if you restart your iPad again and don't use Safari, do you not run into this issue at all? It sounds like Safari may be triggering this somehow, though I cannot for the life of me fathom why. It almost sounds like Safari might be trying to steal focus or something.

I'm looking through the options in iOS Settings > Safari, but honestly nothing jumps out at me, and anything I'd say at this point would only be a guess. I'm just trying to think of what might be different with your setup when compared to others (since we haven't had other reports even remotely like this and cannot reproduce it ourselves), and "Content Blockers" is the only thing which would be active without you invoking it when Safari is open, apart from stock Safari settings — which I'd imagine Apple tests with Slide Over, and also I'd expect others to run into similar issues. Baffling.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

Ok - I tried if I see the same problem with other apps swiped in from the right hand side:

• 1Password: pressing "i" makes keyboard disappear and it stays away
    • Trainline: pressing "i" makes keyboard disappear but only as long as I press "i"; when I let go, the keyboard comes back
    • Tube Map: same as Trainline
    • Freesat: same as Trainline

This means the issue is clearly not with 1Pwd but with iOS. So I contacted Apple Support. They advised to do a hard reset which solved the issue for Trainline, Tube Map and Freesat but not for 1Password. They suggested to delete and reinstall 1Password. I did and now it's working with 1Password as well.

So all working now :chuffed:

• Very strange. But thank you for the update @m_w. :) Glad to hear you've got it working now.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That is the weirdest, most (I imagine) maddening thing I have ever heard of on iOS. Thanks so much for following up! I'm glad to hear that the nightmare is over. :dizzy:

• Silke
    Silke
    Community Member

I can add to the confusion: I experience the same problem and so far my workaround is to switch my keyboard layout from English to German. I can then type the "i". However, with the German layout the problem exists for "l" and "o" (which is unfortunate since my e-mail address contains my first name ;-)...)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi guys,

Thanks for reporting your findings related to this bug, @Silke. I haven't tested with the German keyboard layout yet, though have added that info to the bug I filed after it was reported here:

Slide over bug in landscape mode when typing the letter i

Thanks for letting us what you did to resolve it, @m_w; sorry it took such drastic measures. Those details have now also been included with the report in our internal tracker.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends. :)

ref: OPI-3700

• Meriku
    Meriku
    Community Member

Hello,
    I have the same problem:
    iPad Air 2, 64 gb, landscape mode, german Keyboard layout.
    The keyboard disappears when typing a "i", "k" or a "8" in split screen mode (not in the half screen mode, only when the right quarter of the screen is used).

Maybe it is related to the fact that the "i", "k" and the "8" are exactly over the left border of the split screen window.

When I touch the letters at a position which is not exactly over the split screen border, then the letters work fine.
    Touching the letters on the imagined line of the split screen border it is the same as you touch the border above the keyboard in the upper half of the screen. The keyboard move aut of sight (sorry, it is hard for me to explain it in english).

I hope the informations are useful.

• Hi @Meriku,

Ah, interesting! Thanks for letting us know about that workaround. Could you also please test something else for me? Could you please see if having Safari open and then bringing in the Notes app via slide over this is still reproducible for you (i.e. without 1Password being involved at all)?

Thanks!

Ben

• Meriku
    Meriku
    Community Member

I did the little test (I didn't use Notes in the past).
    Here is the result:

• I closed all apps (swipe up after double click the home button)
    • Opened Safari
    • Swiped in Notes to split screen
    • No problem to type i or 8
    • Swiped in 1Password to splitscreen
    • touching i, k and 8 let the keyboard disappear
    • Swiped in Notes
    • same problem
    • Closed again all apps
    • Opened Safari
    • Swiped in Notes
    • no problems
  • Thanks. So, just to clarify, Notes exhibits the same behavior but only after 1Password has already been in slide over?

Ben

• sfisher973
    sfisher973
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same problem on my iPad Air 2. If I have any app open and swipe left for 1Password and go to secure notes if I type an i the keyboard drops out till t let go of the I. But only in landscape mode.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sfisher973: Are you experiencing this with other apps as well? This problem is unfortunately not limited to 1Password. It sounds like others we're able to get help from Apple, though it may be best to work with them on an individual basis rather than trying a reset on your own. If this is only happening with 1Password though, reinstalling a fresh copy of the app may help. Just be sure to backup your data first. Let me know how it turns out!

• sfisher973
    sfisher973
    Community Member

Ok I just tried it with mail swiped in from the left ... same issue. Not yours then, it's an Apple fault.

• sfisher973
    sfisher973
    Community Member

Ti take it back, the problem doesn't occur until I activate your app on a swipe left on my iPad in landscape mode. I have downloaded a fresh copy of 1password, and rebooted. In. Landscape mode swiping left for 1Password and trying to type an I causes the keyboard to drop out. And For all other apps as well after yours, from the temp swipe left window.

• Thanks for letting us know your experience here @sfisher973. I don't know of anything special we'd be doing here that might be causing this but I'll ask our team to continue looking into it.

Ben

• MortalWombatUK
    MortalWombatUK
    Community Member

I had this issue yesterday on an iPad Air 2... typing the letter "i" while in split screen mode caused the keyboard to disappear, very annoying!
    Actually, it was not split screen mode ( that is when the 2 apps have 50:50 screen width, right?). It was in the mode where 1P takes up about 25% of the screen width, can't remember what Apple call it. Too much jargon used these days!

• @MortalWombatUK

If it is the temporary view, where the 25% size app has focus and the other app is darkened, that is called "slide over." When both screens are fully visible and can be interacted with that is "split view."

About Multitasking on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Thanks for the report. :)

Ben

• Fingolfin
    Fingolfin
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

Hi there, so I also have this problem on an iPad Pro 9.7" with iOS 10.2.1

Let me elaborate a bit: So far it only happened when I used 1password in temporary view. It doesn't seem to matter in which app I open the temporary view.

I use both German and English keyboard layouts; like other people already mentioned, different keys cause the problem, but I noticed a pattern: In the English layout, at least i, k, 8, & are affected. In the German layout, o, l, 8, & are affected. It turns out that these keys are actually all in roughly the same two positions. E.g. the "i" in the English keyboard is roughly in the same position as the "o" in the german keyboard, and both are roughly where "8" is. Similiar for "k" vs. "l" and "&". Now, I also noticed that e.g. "o" sometimes does work... So I experimented a bit, and it turns out that whether it works depends on where I touch the key buttons! If I touch "o" on the far left side, it usually works, if I touch it on the right, it doesn't. Loooking closer my impression is that the places where it does not work are precisely those which are where the outer edge of the temporary view is!

So, on the up side, I now have a consistent workaround: I just have to concentrate on touching the keyboard buttons in the "right spot" and they work (I often have to repeat this multiple times, though). Of course it's still super annoying, but at least it doesn't completely prevent me from searching for certain terms.

To illustrate what I mean, here is a screen shot with a red line marking the edge of the temporary view "under the keyboard". BTW, the "m" and space keys both seem to work, at least I couldn't reproduce the problem there no matter in which positions I touched them.

So, as a very naive and wild guess, this almost seems as if touch events that should go to the keyboard instead go to the temporary view resp. its resizing controls... Perhaps this is enough for a bug report to Apple?

Here is another screen shot, this time with the German keyboard. As for the other affected keys "8", "&", I hope that by looking at the keyboard layouts yourself, you'll get what I mean :-)

• Thank you @Fingolfin! I appreciate the very detailed reply, and especially the screenshots! I've added this information to our issue tracker and will bring it up with the development team.

Ben

• Longbow
    Longbow
    Community Member

I slide open the 1pw app on my iPad and start typing in the site I'm looking for the login. As soon as I type the letter I in my search I can't type anything else

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Type I

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Longbow,

I've merged your report of this issue into a related discussion about it; hope that's okay. :)

Lots of details and suggestions here, hopefully some helpful to you. One workaround I've used is to close Slide Over after 1Password is opened in it, then reopen it and start searching.

ref: OPI-3700

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hey everyone,

Just a quick mention that this issue may be resolved with iOS 10.3. Cheers! :)

• Fingolfin
    Fingolfin
    Community Member

It still happens for me with 10.3

• Well shoot. :( Thanks for letting us know, @Fingolfin.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.