Rather old - The 10 immutable laws of Security.

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh278941.aspx

" The 10 Immutable Laws

Law #1: If a bad guy can persuade you to run his program on your computer, it's not solely your computer anymore.
Law #2: If a bad guy can alter the operating system on your computer, it's not your computer anymore.
Law #3: If a bad guy has unrestricted physical access to your computer, it's not your computer anymore.
Law #4: If you allow a bad guy to run active content in your website, it's not your website any more.
Law #5: Weak passwords trump strong security.
Law #6: A computer is only as secure as the administrator is trustworthy.
Law #7: Encrypted data is only as secure as its decryption key.
Law #8: An out-of-date antimalware scanner is only marginally better than no scanner at all.
Law #9: Absolute anonymity isn't practically achievable, online or offline.
Law #10: Technology is not a panacea."

The detailed answer is inside the link for anyone who wants to read further. It still holds true after 6 years when it was first published in 2011.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Though I'm familiar with those concepts in general, I'd actually never seen that before. Thank you for sharing it! I love this part of the introduction:

Don't hold your breath waiting for an update that will protect you from the issues we'll discuss below. It isn't possible for Microsoft—or any software vendor—to "fix" them, because they result from the way computers work. But don't abandon all hope yet. Sound judgment is the key to protecting yourself against these pitfalls [...]

It starts off super pessimistic (as really any discussion of internet security needs to, unfortunately), but there is definitely room for optimism if we educate ourselves and act accordingly. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.