Family 5-pack licence Upgrading to subscription mode

Options
Graemezee
Graemezee
Community Member

Have been using 1Password Family 5-pack licence for many years and its taken a while to get some family members to use the app
What are the upgrade options and would each family members account be separate from each other ie we are not just sharing one account vault.

Seeing how long it took some members to adopt the app will the standalone app still continue to function if it takes them an age to upgrade or will I have to manage everyone's upgrade at the same time

Alternatively, should I just upgrade to a single account and let the family members make their own way so to speak if the app will continue to function.

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OSX 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:5 Person Licences

Comments

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member
    Options

He there,

Well with regards to the licenses, those you purchased should be yours.

With the new family subscription package, you now have options to manage the accounts if you want but if you rather they only manage their accounts then the single subscription for if and when they do upgrade would likely be best. If you end up only upgrading to the benefits of an individual plan the others should be able to at a later date.

It seems like you tend to be the one to be more proactive so going alone might be best for you but ultimately it will be your choice.

Cheers,
    Conor

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Graemezee: Hmm. I think csmoran9 makes a some good points, but I'm not sure I understand your situation exactly. Have your family members already started using 1Password (albeit after a lot of persistence on your part over time)? If so, and you've all got a setup that works for you, there's no harm in sticking with it.

However, as csmoran9 mentioned, a 1Password Families subscription has some significant benefits over the standalone apps, especially for someone in your position, and for the family members you're helping to secure their digital lives:

1. Automatic offsite backup and item history
    2. Account recovery for family members who forget their Master Passwords
    3. Easy sharing between family members

There's a lot more, so depending on your situation, you'll likely benefit from many other features as well, but those are the ones that I find most important when it comes to helping those closest to me with 1Password. And the 1Password.com service makes it painless.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking about manning upgrades, so let me know. We'll see if this is a good fit for you, or if there's anything I can help with regarding your current setup. :)

• Graemezee
    Graemezee
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Thank for the info, I will switch to the families account. The Problem I was asking, once I switch and upgrade my account do the other family members have to switch their set up immediately or will their old set up continue to function till they are ready to do so. Just trying to minimise problems. I use Adobe CC who have a very simple upgrade procedure But if you don't plan and time you process you can get into all kinds of issues I know this example is a bit over the top for your product. I can though conceive of me doing something simple and upsetting people because I have inflicted change on them when they were not ready to deal with it.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @Graemezee - Great question! If your family members are already using 1Password, they can just add the Families account to their existing apps - https://support.1password.com/add-device/#add-your-account-to-the-1password-app

The exception to this rule is Windows. They will have to install 1Password 6 which is compatible with our new accounts. I hope this helps and let us know if you have any additional questions. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Graemezee: Just to add to what Frank said, you and individual family members can migrate to your new accounts one at a time on your own schedule. It's pretty straightforward, and I think you'll get a good sense of the process from doing it yourself. But you're right that sometimes we hit snags, though if you (or your family) do, we're here for you and happy to walk you through any part of the process of setting up or using 1Password.

I think one thing that will help significantly in your case that we don't often think about is that (with the exception of Windows) you'll all be using the same apps you have been, just as you have been. So in many cases, using the new service can be transparent to the user. Cheers! :)

• Graemezee
    Graemezee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all your comments and clarifications extremely helpful

• You're very welcome. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.