Forgot Master Password

jweber121
jweber121
Community Member

Hi,

I bought a new phone and made the rookie mistake of not writing down my Master Password. Is there any way to recover my data?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

If you really don't know your master password, and don't have a copy elsewhere with a different master password, your only option is to start again.

One of the features of 1PW is that AgileBits have no access to your password, so cannot change it for you.

• Janet_Clayton
    Janet_Clayton
    Community Member

Hi, I want to start again, but one password keeps recognising my email and asking me to login... which I cannot do. How do I start again? I have sent an email 24 hours ago with no response.

• Hi @jweber121,

As @danco said, we have no way of resetting your master password.

When you enter information into 1Password it is encrypted using your Master Password. The only way to decrypt that information is by entering your Master Password. For your security even we cannot decrypt it otherwise.

In order to offer a ‘forgot my password’ or a 'recover password' option we would need to be able to reset your password, which would mean we would have a way to access your data. Folks come to us because they explicitly don't want anyone else (even us) to ever be able to access their data.

We have a support page set up with some tips to remember your Master Password, hopefully something there will help jog your memory:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Entering the incorrect password several times should bring up a hint, maybe that will help.

– Andrew

• Hi @Janet_Clayton,

If you'd like to delete your 1Password.com account and start again, I can send you an Account Deletion email which you can use to delete your account. Then you should be free to create a new account.

Let me know if you'd like me to send you the Account Deletion email.

Have a great day,

– Andrew

• Janet_Clayton
    Janet_Clayton
    Community Member

Andrew, things have got more complicated. I have managed to find the password and installed 1password on my iphone 6. I think I am still in trial mode. I received a list of my accounts via email, and there is only one account. I installed One Password on my Mac including the menu icon, but when I try to log in, it will not accept my masterpassword. Is this because I am in trial mode? When I click on click here to buy, I only get the standalone option, not the membership option. I also assume that the Pro function is an additional cost. Can you help me unravel this?

• Hi @Janet_Clayton,

Let me take a peek under the hood of both your iPhone and Mac to make sure I have a complete picture of what's going on.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Reports in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Reports in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the reports and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the reports we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.